Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 79

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Get the hell out of the line of fire if you don't want to get hit!

  1. #46
    Originally Posted by Stealthie View Post (Source)
    Right, cos once you've got a car with ABS you can just drive like a complete tool and rely completely on the ABS to prevent you crashing.




    You think this is a valid comparison?

    Hitting a friendly ship which is visible on your scanner and can be avoided via fire-control is exactly like a random affliction which is largely impossible for the sufferer to control?
    Haha. Ok dude. Chill out.

  2. This is the last staff post in this thread. #47
    Lead Designer- Elite: Dangerous Frontier Employee
    Hello Commanders!

    for clarity:

    Turrets should never attack ships unless they are either:

    * Legal targets

    * Have already committed assault against you.

    Stray shots against uninteded clean targets should not trigger hostility or crimes.

    If you find this is not working, please submit bugs, with as much detail as possible (which weapons were turreted, the class and status of the shipr triggering the crime etc.)

  3. #48
    Originally Posted by Sandro Sammarco View Post (Source)
    Hello Commanders!

    for clarity:

    Turrets should never attack ships unless they are either:

    * Legal targets

    * Have already committed assault against you.

    Stray shots against uninteded clean targets should not trigger hostility or crimes.

    If you find this is not working, please submit bugs, with as much detail as possible (which weapons were turreted, the class and status of the shipr triggering the crime etc.)
    Good to hear that from the horse's mouth.

    The OP seems to be suggesting that he actually got hit by fire from another ship, which led to his turrets retaliating against (presumably) the ship he took fire from.

    When we accidentally shoot another ship there's some tolerance applied, where an NPC will say "Hey! Cut that out" but not actually become hostile and we don't get a bounty.
    Does the same thing apply in reverse?

    If we're hit by an NPC's fire, is there a similar tolerance before our scanners class that NPC as hostile and (presumably) our turrets retaliate?

    Thinking about it, I'm almost certain I've strayed into the fire of police ships once in a while and I don't I've ever seen a cop-ship turn hostile as a result.

  4. #49
    The most important thing here not clarified is: does the OP have reporting crimes on?
    .
    Because what actually can happen is:
    - You get hit by stray fire.
    - You do NOT report crimes, so the one hitting you by accident remains clean.
    - Your turrets retailiate on the attacker. As he still is clean, it's you who becomes wanted.
    .
    Mind you, that also already requires some extreme flying. NPCs generally don't fire if they don't have line of sight to the target, but you can manage to collide with their projectiles if you try really hard or are extremely unlucky.
    .

  5. #50
    Originally Posted by Sylow View Post (Source)
    - You get hit by stray fire.
    - You do NOT report crimes, so the one hitting you by accident remains clean.
    - Your turrets retailiate on the attacker. As he still is clean, it's you who becomes wanted.
    That should not cause the turrets to retaliate as per Sandro's decription above.

  6. #51
    Originally Posted by Spandexxx View Post (Source)
    I've found turrets to be entirely useless in hi res sites because of this. My idea, many moons ago, was to have an Anaconda with all turrets that I could serenely float through the res site obliterating everything all around me with pin-point turret fire. What actually happened, every single time, was I would be in there seconds before a turret hit someone, got me a bounty and the sys security all turned on me and I had to flee.

    I'm guessing the turrets do not cease firing when another ship flies between you and your target. Seems a fairly basic thing to alter but there we go...
    This was my dream too, until the firts time turrets had to do their job ending in me vs the entire isntance. Very stupid impelmention of how turrets are supposed to work.

  7. #52
    Originally Posted by Mephane View Post (Source)
    That should not cause the turrets to retaliate as per Sandro's decription above.
    .
    Based on what he wrote, it's a very solid cause.
    .
    If you somehow get into an NPCs line of fire, it just committed assault against you, which means they it enough damage to you so its symbol turns red. It happens rarely, but i sometimes managed to do it. I squeezed myself in between security and the target to "secure the kill". That was at a time when the bounts still always went to the last one to land a hit, so blocking off NPCs was essential. As NPCs stop fire before they hit a friendly target, it usually went all fine, but that one just had some projectiles on way, when i squeezed in. So as i flew into the NPCs fire, it was registered as attack on me and the NPC turned red on the radar. (As i had report crimes on, it also was wanted. ) That's enough of a reason for your turrets to fire on it.
    .
    In that case, if you do not report crimes, the NPC will still be clean when your turrets strike back, resulting in you being wanted.
    .

  8. #53
    Can be caused multiple ways...

    1. Stupid AI ships flying across your nose while in combat with another ship. It then takes damage and you get a fine.
    2. Same as above but the weapons used cause more damage, you get a hostile target and a bounty
    3. In addition to 1 and or 2, your SLF defends your ship and kills the suicidal NPC.

    In all cases, either get out fast and recall SLF
    or
    Kill everything and let God decide.

    Most of this is caused by the new intern-coded AI. Security ships crashing into stations; NPCs flying right in front of your weapons and trying to face kiss you; Ships trying to hug you death; Ships trying to ram you;

  9. #54
    Originally Posted by wesmacdon View Post (Source)
    Should we develop cancer treatments?
    Nah just get better at not having cancer.
    Hahaha...so politically incorrect, but funny. Laughed through my nose.

  10. #55
    Originally Posted by Sandro Sammarco View Post (Source)
    Hello Commanders!

    for clarity:

    Turrets should never attack ships unless they are either:

    * Legal targets

    * Have already committed assault against you.

    Stray shots against uninteded clean targets should not trigger hostility or crimes.

    If you find this is not working, please submit bugs, with as much detail as possible (which weapons were turreted, the class and status of the shipr triggering the crime etc.)
    Thank you much'ly...I have a truck load of turrets on my T10 Defender.

  11. #56
    Originally Posted by wesmacdon View Post (Source)
    藍藍藍藍

    You guys are like clockwork. So utterly predictable. Imagine you guys were left in charge of stuff in real life?

    Should we develop ABS to decrease car accidents? Nah just get better at driving.

    Should we introduce black boxes into commercial airlines to improve safety on the back of incidents?
    Nah just get better at flying.

    Should we develop cancer treatments?
    Nah just get better at not having cancer.

    Should we stop executing people for petty thefts?
    Nah just get good at not commiting petty thefts.

    You guys crack me up.
    You mind if I copy this to notepad? +1

  12. #57
    Originally Posted by Spandexxx View Post (Source)
    I've found turrets to be entirely useless in hi res sites because of this. My idea, many moons ago, was to have an Anaconda with all turrets that I could serenely float through the res site obliterating everything all around me with pin-point turret fire. What actually happened, every single time, was I would be in there seconds before a turret hit someone, got me a bounty and the sys security all turned on me and I had to flee.

    I'm guessing the turrets do not cease firing when another ship flies between you and your target. Seems a fairly basic thing to alter but there we go...
    When I go RES mining, this is literally how I operate, and my turrets have never once triggered a friendly fire bounty.

    Your story states that it was many moons ago, so possible that it occurred before the fix.

  13. #58
    Originally Posted by KaizoMK View Post (Source)
    So, I'm in a res, with mostly turreted weapons. How did I a) get a bounty for assault, and b) get a bounty for MURDER, when my ship is controlling who gets shot and didn't actually even murder anybody? (the victim died but as a result of the combat situation and certainly not from one stray shot from me.) Turrets used to have a certain exemption when it came to finding the CMDR at fault for damage due to them being, you know, mostly out of your control. When did that change?

    I understand this is something to be addressed in 3.0, with the advent of reckless discharge of weapons, but if stray damage causes you to be faulted for murder when YOU AREN'T SHOOTING THE VICTIM, then we still have a long way to go. ...though it's still a welcome and wonderful change.

    This is my safety, Sir.

  14. #59
    Originally Posted by wesmacdon View Post (Source)
    🤣🤣🤣🤣

    You guys are like clockwork. So utterly predictable. Imagine you guys were left in charge of stuff in real life?

    Should we develop ABS to decrease car accidents? Nah just get better at driving.

    Should we introduce black boxes into commercial airlines to improve safety on the back of incidents?
    Nah just get better at flying.

    Should we develop cancer treatments?
    Nah just get better at not having cancer.

    Should we stop executing people for petty thefts?
    Nah just get good at not commiting petty thefts.

    You guys crack me up.
    Funny, but so far you haven't offered a working solution.

  15. #60
    Originally Posted by babelfisch View Post (Source)
    Funny, but so far you haven't offered a working solution.
    best solution?
    gid gud!

    no, for real, objective reports with video log and journal entries would probably help finding the reason why there are some suffering this issue at all.
    im am still not sure if the OP just blames his turrets for something he did himself, aka ramming or hitting something with his non-turret weapons (he wrote "mostly" turrets, so there must be non-turret ones in his build)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast