Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FDL loadout

The PA hammer loadout was awesome on big ships, bam Shields gone, bam bam dead.
    But on nippy small ships like Viper and eagle, I cant hit them. Will switch to huge mc and see how that works.

Full g5 Overcharged Beam will be cool trust me...

(don't forget to g5 overcharge your powerplant too)

I rock a efficient huge gimbal pulse and fixed cannons on the rest, heat spam on two to G3 long range and two with the module wrecking effect on G3 LR. Can struggle on really nippy small ships unless your up close knife fighting, but my Oh my it wrecks big stuff, say bye bye to your power plants

Originally Posted by khaos526 View Post (Source)
    I originally tried this weapon config out, but I found I liked it better using the opposite:
    1x 4A Gimballed G5 Efficient Beam (with Thermal Vent)
    4x 2F Gimballed G5 Overcharged MC's (with Auto load on one, Incendiary on another and corrosive on the 3rd)

After testing it out, that config was quicker and easier for me than the huge MC and 4x Beams...
    I was the exact opposite. I started with the huge beam and 4 x medium MC's but couldn't get on with it so switched them over and have never looked back.

I also tend to vary between rapid fire or overcharge on the huge MC. Never really determined which I prefer.

I am getting it working now, medium pulse lasers that dont overheat as much as beams and huge multi canon. miss the hammer and plasma, but the heat was too much.
    now have 2 heat sink launchers, bound to 2 SCBs so can release both at same time.

Only remaining problem is my jump range 11.55 ly and run out of fuel twice with limited fuel tank giving me about 4 jumps max. had to stop at an outpost and one time use J3 jumponium to get home.
    Do I really need a military hull, as the thing is a shield tank, but this may not increase my FSD range much.

Just what i was looking for.Thanks.

Originally Posted by Trickylion View Post (Source)
    I am getting it working now, medium pulse lasers that dont overheat as much as beams and huge multi canon. miss the hammer and plasma, but the heat was too much.
    now have 2 heat sink launchers, bound to 2 SCBs so can release both at same time.

Only remaining problem is my jump range 11.55 ly and run out of fuel twice with limited fuel tank giving me about 4 jumps max. had to stop at an outpost and one time use J3 jumponium to get home.
    Do I really need a military hull, as the thing is a shield tank, but this may not increase my FSD range much.
    You should be able to fire both banks at the same time under one heat sink and not have any issues. Frees up a utility slot for one more booster or a scanner

Got that tip from the FDL owners club thread on this page. Lots of awesome info there, I highly recommend reading through the last 10 or so pages there for some great pointers.

Originally Posted by Trickylion View Post (Source)

I never bothered with armour on my FDL. Once they're through my shields I'd scarper.

I run 4 beams and a large multi with corrosive. Fully engineered. 4 pips to weapons 1 and 1 in the engines and systems. One PVE itís untouchable. Shreds a conder shields in seconds and the multi corrosive with the beams decimated the hull. Smaller ships last seconds.

After some long hours of careful planning and engineering I have finally made her. A pure laser FDL. I call her Stormbreaker.
    https://s.orbis.zone/5wg

Low emissions power plant with monstered experiment.
    Clean tuning thrusters with drag drives.
    Bi-weave with thermal resist and fast charge.
    3 class A shield boosters with resist augmented and flow control.
    3 class E shield boosters with heavy duty and super capacitors.
    Huge fixed burst laser with short range and inertial impact.
    2 medium fixed burst laser with short range and inertial impact.
    2 medium gimballed pulse laser with rapid fire and scrambled spectrum.

Your main sources of heat generation is your power plant and distributor (when firing weapons).

When you fire your weapons, the WEP capacity drops, and the more depleted it becomes, the more heat that is required for each weapon to fire (Up to a 400% increase in heat, ie a railgun @ 20 heat/shot will generate up to 100 heat/shot when the WEP capacitor is nearly empty). Depending on how you fire weapons, the goal is simply to keep the WEP capacity as close to 100% full as possible. Generally increasing the WEP regeneration rate helps, but sometimes more WEP capacity can work better.

In addition your Powerplant efficiency is very important to overall heat generation. Since just about all modules require power, a portion of that power is converted to heat, eg a module consuming 1MW of energy will generate 1MW*0.4 = 0.4 heat/sec with an unmodified A-class power plant. These all add up, so if you have a power hungry ship you will have a lot of heat to dispose of, and with an inefficient power plant (eg Overcharged), a greater portion of that energy is being converted to heat, and your ship will take longer to cool down as a result.

It can be hard to balance, but I aim to use the most efficient powerplant I can without having to power down systems essential to combat (in my case, I automatically power down my Fuel scoop when I deploy weapons). There is no point in having excess power if you aren't going to use it, so if you have spare MJ's use them instead to make your power plant more efficient and cooler running.

Ship build link: https://s.orbis.zone/65k

My FDL is setup to run cool and be easy to use (since I'm more an explorer, I don't have the combat skills to aim slow moving projectile weapons like plasma or missiles).

2x2B Rail guns (long ranged) & 2x2E Pulse lasers (focused), are my primary damage dealers. "Focused" is an excellent modifcation for lasers, since it greatly enhances the "Piercing" value of them. With "Focused" I can use the 2E Pulse lasers as if I had hitscan multicannons. The 2B rail guns use Plasma slugs, so with the additional 2C fuel tank I installed, I can get around 200 shots in (ie 400 slugs in total for both rails) before I need to head back for refueling, allowing me to stay in combat longer. I've found these weapons to be fairly effective against shields and armour, and by binding them to the same fire button, I can shoot the lasers and release the trigger before the rails fully charge if I don't want to fire them.

The 4A Overchanged Multicannon (corrosive) helps to increase the damage done by the lasers/rails but also provides a nice boost to overall damage, while being pretty light on the distributor.

5C Bi-Weave is pretty great on energy draw, while providing an increase to shield regeneration. I use 0E shield boosters (because they are so cheap in terms of power draw and weight!), which allows to me to have reasonable shields at a very low thermal/power draw.

Probably pretty far from the best damage dealing and damage absorbing FDL, but easy to use and very effective in PvE combat.

Originally Posted by baqar79 View Post (Source)
    Your main sources of heat generation is your power plant and distributor (when firing weapons)

2x2B Rail guns
    And I can add, that if your build is a shieldtank with many (two, actually, for FDL is very limited here) shield cell banks and if you are using railguns as your main caliber, you should be extremely focused on not overheating, for it can bake you in a few seconds (I have such an unpleasant experience).

And there are some ways of how to not bake.

The most obvious is heatsink. But you just can't use it every time you fire railguns, it can only be an emergency measure.

First of all you absolutely should apply some experimental effects to your railguns that decrease thermal load.

Then you absolutely need a beam with thermal vent effect. It will be your main way to dump heat.

You can also try to use specialized cells to have less thermal load and weapon focused power distributor to have more WEP capacity and thus less heat.

In the end you will get something like this: https://s.orbis.zone/67t

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12