Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: What games would you like ED to shamelessly steal from?

What I would like them to steal :

X wing/Tie fighter/Freespace/Wing Commander - Navy Missions, you know ones that have a start, middle and end. Missions that actually mean something and make sense. These could tie in military rank.
    I war 2/X series - Random missions, distress calls, patrol missions, station projection.
    Eve - Player based economy, the BGS currently in place is bobbins. It only ticks over with manual intervention and downtime.
    Eve - An alive universe. Even wiothout Player ships there are always NPC ships flying around.
    Eve - Ship outfitting/equipment crafting. A system that has lots and lots of depth with multiple viable ways to equip your ship depending on the role. This could replace the engineers completely.
    I war 1+2 - Travel mechanics, Jumping to a lagrange point and capsule drive in system.
    STO/FTL - Crew mechanics.
    No mans sky - Planetary generation, they just need to have a more realistic asthetic. The current planetary mechanics are for masochists only.
    Avorion - Exploration

Not necessarily from games :

Tractor beams.
    Drones that aren't made of tissue paper. Why do they expire, in real life we build satellites that last for decades.
    A lot more space ships, maybe some way to design and build ships.
    A consistent internal logic.
    A much better mining mechanic.
    Factions need a lot of work.
    Player base building. Give us the tools to generate the content,

What I don't want :

More Grind.
    Space legs - This is going to get tedious after the first few times.
    Planets with atmospheres that are the same as planets now just with a different colour "atmosphere".

Originally Posted by Han_Zen View Post (Source)
    Elite 2 and 3 did not have this.
    I still play both, esp. E3.. they're both direct control without any nerfing..

Full independent directional control was added in JJFFE.
    JJFFE added vertical and lateral thruster control, but both 2 & 3 had independent aim and heading reticles, with full freedom of rotation and full freedom to accelerate & decelerate the ship.

Also FFE and FE2 had full rotational damping. It was in essens FA half on.
    Both games had direct mouse control, so only move when you move the mouse, and proportionately to the amount of input. So i suppose you could call that "angular damping" - if attitude was controlled by thrusts then active damping would be implied, but not if gyroscopes were being used - the ship would only be impelled to rotate whilst precessional torque was being applied to a gyro, and would cease when that torque was removed, conserving net angular momentum.

More to the point, however, is that angular damping is actually sensible and useful. We have 6DoF, 3 axes and 3 planes, and logically, it's the former you want damped. In real life, it's hard to think of any circumstances where you'd want to disable angular damping - it would just be a really annoying disadvantage having to manually counter-torque.

Angular damping would be one of the most basic control functions you'd actually want in a spaceship.

Linear damping, OTOH... defeats absolutely everything spaceflight is about. It would be the very last thing you'd want in a spaceship, after propellers, xenomorphs & broken toilets etc.

"Set speed" - like we had in E2 & 3 - is the only form of linear damping any flight assist or autopilot system should want. You, as "pilot" of the ship, should be the one who chooses what speed to set. If you cannot, then you're not really the pilot / captain / "commander" (coughsplutterLOL) are you? Just a semi-passive observer being drawn along the up-a-bit, left-a-bit slideshow conveyor..

And so in ED, we're allowed to disable angular damping, but not linear (!), eliminating at a stroke the sole premise and raison d'etre of the whole game; basic spaceflight is now physically impossible, but no worries, at least we can switch to wobble mode, like that's some kind of consolation...

The only reason disabling (some) angular damping in ED confers any advantage at all is because you're not allowed independent heading and direction in the first place! Hence it's actually a slight de-nerfing, at the expense of now having to manually cancel all rotation... It's a horrendous, dire mess and absolutely inimical to any kind of fun or rewarding flight. Like i say, i tried ED again last night, if only for a few minutes, and i'm still raw from the face-palm. There is no game there. It is not "Elite". There's no spaceflight and i'm not allowed to pilot my own ship. Move the mouse, and the ship just groans instead of moving..

In E2 & 3, you can do perfect, precise 180's or even 360's with a deft flick o' the wrist. Try that in ED and it just makes a groaning noise and yaws 1° - no matter how far or fast you move the mouse! Just makes me want to instantly punch the screen, along with anyone who thinks this idiocy belongs in Elite. It's a total betrayal of everything Elite stands for.. I don't want to "upgrade" this useless joy-depriving hulk o' junk, i don't want to paint go-faster stripes on it, decorate it with dash ornaments, much less try and actually move it anywhere. I don't even want to replace it with some other ship as they're all exactly the same in this respect. Why oh why would i suffer 1 minute of that rubbish when i can just fire up E2 or 3 and actually fly the ship for real without any nerfs or interference?

I do agree that it wold be interesting to have this option in ED. It would still feel a little different, as ships in FE2 and FFE had almost unlimited yaw and pitch rates.
    Heavier ships turn slower, simulating some degree of angular inertia, but there was no nerfing of yaw, roll or pitch as in ED - all axes responded equally well to the same inputs, with angular velocities completely decoupled from linear.

If angular damping were truly disabled, of course, then you'd be able to spin up to structural failure speeds, which would be way cool - but obviously, ED's "flight-assist" cannot actually be disabled, in spite of what the irritating voice keeps saying - it just disables damping at low angular speeds, whilst still activating to prevent angular momentum rising above the permitted limit.

So yeah, i think it would be "interesting" to have ships that actually respond to pilot input, instead of making groaning noises. It would be interesting if the mouse directly controlled the ship's attitude, like it used to in the previous games, instead of simply groaning whilst applying 1° of rotation. It would be interesting if i didn't need a 6 ft wide mouse mat in order to turn 90 degrees (or else rapidly pumping the mouse across the pad in little arcs desperately trying to coax some kind of response from the ship). It would be interesting if we were free to accelerate or decelerate the ships relative to any other objects, seamlessly and without interference.

In a word, it would be interesting to be able to play Elite in ED... It would be interesting to be finally able to retire E3 and benefit from the so-called sequel i waited half a lifetime and payed top dollar for.

It would be interesting to be free to pilot my own ship and blaze my own trail in a seamless 3D galaxy. Hell, it is interesting - which is why i still play E3 and feel nothing but loathing resentment towards ED...

Originally Posted by Jenner View Post (Source)
    Nuh uh!! What about cockpits?!

Seriously, though, EVE does a lot well, and a lot not so well. Same as anything. EVE seems unmatched in its ability to bring together vast groups of players into one shared game environment and give them the tools and capacity to create their own little fiefdoms complete with copious amounts of drama and intrigue. That's impressive.

I would rather Elite concentrate on smaller-scale things, though, which is keeping in line with the core design philosophy already in place. Elite captures that feeling of being a solo spaceship captain better than anything else out there. I would rather it build on that than try to include even more MMO-ish components.

Which is why I think adding more narrative/story that caters to individual players would be ideal.
    It's been unmatched for over a decade, it's kind of crazy when you think about it.

Originally Posted by Arioch View Post (Source)
    What games would you like ED to shamelessly steal from?
    Sudoku

It's a perfect fit for those long supercruise trips.

Originally Posted by zombieapocalypse View Post (Source)
    Portal. I want a deranged, cake-promising, science-obsessed AI constantly mocking me while also trying to kill me.
    With the Feds AI Fleet on the way and Guardian ruins everywhere, I'd say you might just get your wish...

I would love to have elements from I-War 2.

The idea of having my own decrepit secret base I could slowly repair and have a small crew to build. Being able to call one of them in to collect loot from pirating or mining would be fantastic and give a slight change to gameplay protecting them.

Originally Posted by NW3 View Post (Source)
    Sudoku

It's a perfect fit for those long supercruise trips.
    Well, Mass Effect Andromeda uses a version of it when decoding alien ruins, so it's got form

I'd be up for a logical puzzle mini-game during SuperCruise - combining molecules in the Synthesis screen or tuning the engines to give a minor temporary jump range boost, etc.

Originally Posted by Bounder View Post (Source)
    JJFFE added vertical and lateral thruster control, but both 2 & 3 had independent aim and heading reticles, with full freedom of rotation and full freedom to accelerate & decelerate the ship.
    Off topic:
    I've been playing a fair bit of FE2 recently and thanks to the thruster control mod I've been enjoying combat much more than when the game came out. FFE has definitely had more modding love over the years, but I've always preferred the cleaner look of FE2 - I think it'd be interesting to see, for example, how many more planet objects (clouds, buildings, forests, etc) could be pumped out by today's computers. Last year I played Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor and immediately thought that FE2 stations would've looked like that on foot :) I wish I had (any) programming ability, glFrontier with the thruster mod, flickering planet colours sorted out, and maybe bloom and glow applied to light sources (like DarkXL did for the Star Wars game Dark Forces) would be dream-come-true time. Well, I'd also want planet surfaces a bit like Rescue on Fractalus!, a version of SRV buggies, and on-foot gameplay with scores of sprite based NPCs for the full dream :D
    Edit: oh, and shadows!

If we ever get spacelegs I would love for ED to have Quadrilateral Cowboy type hacking and espionage.

Although I doubt the command line interface would be compatible with console controllers.

Pokémon.
    We get new weapons that throw poke balls to catch the Pokémon that appear in different systems and then we gather at other systems to have Pokémon battles (PvP).

2k, Civilization franchise, Gas powered games: Supreme Commander Forged alliance and the Dice: Battlefield franchise.

It could all be in the background sim, but it just have to be there for immersion. Even just as a "pretend" feature placeholder for upcoming tech. The mere thought of it being there will immerse and ascend Elite into heaven for gamers.

Originally Posted by killminster View Post (Source)
    If we ever get spacelegs I would love for ED to have Quadrilateral Cowboy type hacking and espionage.

Although I doubt the command line interface would be compatible with console controllers.
    Quality game that one, wished there was lots more of it (or it'd proved popular in the Workshop). I doubt anything that involved will make an appearance in ED, though if it did I hope it involves a bit of thought, so more like the newer Deus Ex games than the "press X to hack" style of Watch_Dogs.
    Originally Posted by Falcon_D View Post (Source)
    Pokémon.
    We get new weapons that throw poke balls to catch the Pokémon that appear in different systems and then we gather at other systems to have Pokémon battles (PvP).
    Normally I can see a usable mechanic for ED from most suggestions, but this time...wait a mo...I'm thinking...mmmm...got it! Big alien dinosaur hunting as per DB's Kickstarter musings. Electro-net stunner stasis thingummybob.
    Originally Posted by ArchEmperor View Post (Source)
    2k, Civilization franchise, Gas powered games: Supreme Commander Forged alliance and the Dice: Battlefield franchise.

It could all be in the background sim, but it just have to be there for immersion. Even just as a "pretend" feature placeholder for upcoming tech. The mere thought of it being there will immerse and ascend Elite into heaven for gamers.
    Much easier to envisage! Mount & Blade Warband's world map is another game that does the living, breathing world thing really well. I'd love for the BGS to fool me into thinking it was an evolving, realistic system and not a curated-on-Thursday-morning entity

Originally Posted by Arioch View Post (Source)

Off topic:
    I've been playing a fair bit of FE2 recently and thanks to the thruster control mod I've been enjoying combat much more than when the game came out. FFE has definitely had more modding love over the years, but I've always preferred the cleaner look of FE2 - I think it'd be interesting to see, for example, how many more planet objects (clouds, buildings, forests, etc) could be pumped out by today's computers. Last year I played Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor and immediately thought that FE2 stations would've looked like that on foot :) I wish I had (any) programming ability, glFrontier with the thruster mod, flickering planet colours sorted out, and maybe bloom and glow applied to light sources (like DarkXL did for the Star Wars game Dark Forces) would be dream-come-true time. Well, I'd also want planet surfaces a bit like Rescue on Fractalus!, a version of SRV buggies, and on-foot gameplay with scores of sprite based NPCs for the full dream :D
    Edit: oh, and shadows!
    Totally agree, FE2 maintained the clean GUI with consistent F-key mappings per Elite classic. FFE's context-dependent F-key mapping is a confusing mess. Its 'opulent' curved polygon spaceship designs are pug-ugly and immediately put you off wanting to own or fly any of them. Its hand-coded missions are tied to the calendar rather than triggered and accepted or not when you're actually ready to undertake them (when restarting FFE i use BUFFET to set the starting date 50 years early, just to avoid 'em). But yeah, i'd expected ED to be Frontier: Elite 4, not Oolite: the board game..

Imagine every planet a Skyrim esq scenario... fantastic..

I will post only one title:

Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos

Who is familiar with this game will know how much they could steal from it

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213