Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picture of a single Atom

Picture of a single Atom

Guy at Oxford University takes a picture of a single Strontium atom (ok, ion...) caught in an ion trap: https://www.epsrc.ac.uk/newsevents/n...ons-top-prize/

Is the atom the tiny little dot in the centre?

I was wondering that myself and a bit surprised that a single atom (if that is indeed an atom in the centre) is actually larger than I thought.

V2k

Accounting to the short article - yes, that tiny dot is the atom. Long time exposure while the atom is illuminated with a violet laser.

Relevance to post - Its a 'Single' Acorn Atom

The Acorn Atom is where the seeds of Elite where created.

Because of this post I found this

https://atom.io/

Its interesting how the human brain works..

Originally Posted by Viper2kUK View Post (Source)
    I was wondering that myself and a bit surprised that a single atom (if that is indeed an atom in the centre) is actually larger than I thought.

V2k
    I suppose we're seeing the outer cloud of electrons....

Soon we shall reach the limit of engraving of the microprocessor with 1 atom

Originally Posted by Manticore View Post (Source)
    I suppose we're seeing the outer cloud of electrons....
    What you actually see is a finely tuned flourescense. The atom is illuminated by a (violet) laser, which is energizing the outer shell electron(s). When they relax to their ground state, they emit violet light themselves. Very faint, but apparently just visible with the naked eye, and recordable by a camera in a long time exposure.

---

Edit:
    And since this is a digital image, what you actually get is the pixel (the pixels?) that are triggered by the light emitted form this single atom, modified by the Airy disc of the lens.

Actually - that would make a great tool to determine the actual resolution of a lens-sensor combination....

I had to lift my glasses to see that pixel. Varifocals beckon.

Originally Posted by Ashnak View Post (Source)
    What you actually see is a finely tuned flourescense. The atom is illuminated by a (violet) laser, which is energizing the outer shell electron(s). When they relax to their ground state, they emit violet light themselves. Very faint, but apparently just visible with the naked eye, and recordable by a camera in a long time exposure.

---

Edit:
    And since this is a digital image, what you actually get is the pixel (the pixels?) that are triggered by the light emitted form this single atom, modified by the Airy disc of the lens.

Actually - that would make a great tool to determine the actual resolution of a lens-sensor combination....

This.

Unless understanding has changed since I studied you cannot actually perceive single atoms regardless of magnification ability.

Doesn't stop that photo being damn awesome though.

what these tiny tiny tiny lickle fings are what Kim fingy has been using to make weapons - not so worried now DEN!

It is not a picture of an atom—- it is a “flash” of light caused by an atom

Originally Posted by Matt168 View Post (Source)
    I had to lift my glasses to see that pixel. Varifocals beckon.
    I'm in denial.....

Originally Posted by MikeSnos View Post (Source)
    I'm in denial.....
    Well you do support Ipswich....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast