Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Results 106 to 119 of 119

Thread: Cold Blooded Killers

  1. #106
    Originally Posted by Huckleberry_Hound_uk View Post (Source)
    Before I get started, I am a casual player putting 3-4 hours game play a week, novice combat rating, I like to play in open so I get the full ED experience of meeting other commanders.

    Now the reason for this post, I am currently unlocking the Engineers and was on my way to Todd McQueen with 100,000 bounty credits in my basic spec Python. I spot two other commanders in FDL's next thing I am interdicted by these 2 commanders and 10 seconds later faced with a re-buy screen. No communication, no request for cargo (I didn't have any anyway), I didn't even have a bounty, so what was the point, nothing was gained it just left me with a 4,000,000+ re-buy
    Hey Commander, yes this galaxy is populated with a great variety of characters. From the criminal to the greedy; from the curious to the aggressive. For me, that makes life a bit more exciting.

    I understand that you feel aggrieved by this senseless act of violence (from your perspective, at least). I know you were flying in a basic Python, so you must have been playing this game for a while, at least. Do you have any knowledge or skill at dodging other commanders? For example, do you keep one eye on the sensor while in supercruise, trying to spot those hollow squares? Howabout if you get interdicted? Do you know the best way to flee? Do you know about pips and how they can make your shield stronger? Do you have any defenses on your python? Do you know the difference between high and low wake escapes? Yeah, I know it's a lot to learn but that's what makes this game interesting... (for me, anyway, I know you may be different)

    What I am trying to say is that there are ways you can play open that will protect you from these cold blooded killers! You may not always come out alive, but it does make for a more exciting game when you get to employ your defensive tactics. Good luck out there!

  2. #107
    Originally Posted by Ian Doncaster View Post (Source)

    This is what I mean about complaints about being killed for no reason ... you could be killed for a reason and it would often look exactly the same to you and you'd be just as dead.
    What you say has merit but as a small example how do you explain the welcome some new players get coming into the game at stater points where they, one would assume, are easy pray for the giggle team.

    Everything discussed above may be prevalent in that ED is indeed a dangerous place with evil killers giggling behind every star cluster but there has to boundaries. If Charles Manson or Ted Bundies are role models then I guess I'll just grab more empty space and wrap it around me for I have no desire to share my precious time with such.

    So yes, play as you will and where you will. Feed the animals if you must and enjoy what you can. Life, real life, is just to short to endure grief for a giggle.

    I do hope FD are able to get a handle on this but I fear they have a heavy task at hand.

    So good flying in your choice of Venue and here's hoping we all arrive safely.

    Cheers

    Chief

  3. #108
    Originally Posted by Han Zulu View Post (Source)
    True. For instance, you can be aligned with a superpower for power play. You're basically an open target for players from other powers. And there could be systems where pirates of some kind or other is trying to overtake and rule. Many reasons that the victim never would know about. That's why I don't complain about it anymore.
    Pledging to a powerplay without knowing your enemies is like getting into Open thinking you will only find friends there.. Most powerplay kills know what was going on. Complaining and venting is different. The OP was venting, or seemed like that to me.

  4. #109
    And there is no learning neither getting gud or whatsoever by being killed in a sidewinder with just half a million in your account by a fully engineered FDL, this is just disgusting.. even if roleplaying.

  5. #110
    Originally Posted by Pville_Piper View Post (Source)
    While I do agree the penalties need to be stiffer for crimes I do believe Sandro said that this is the ground work and more will be added over time. Specially, ganking was to be later. I think this is a good thing as it will give a chance for proper implementation rather than a knee jerk reaction.
    Also, they have to be careful so the "proper" piracy isn't killed off. The game is supposed to allow player to play a rotten pirate against other players, but it has to be hard, not impossible. So there's a balance to be had there as well.

    In the old system, it's too cheap and easy to grief. With the new system, it probably won't, but then, piracy might not be a career anymore. We'll see.

    I still don't get people who've played the game for 2 plus years and been members of the forums for that time who don't understand that these things happen. I knew before I bought the game and it was my intention to play in solo from the start. Once I got my feet under me I joined Mobius and now I'll play in either Mobius or Open depending on what I want to do and if I want to be bothered by other commanders . All I can say is if you play in Open around hotspots like CGs or engineer bases be prepared to be ganked. It's not that hard to make it so you can survive and plenty of videos around to help you. Some of the larger PvP clans would even help you out if you asked them as well as plenty of other commanders.

    Learning to play the game means understanding and minimizing the risks whether you are in Open or Solo.
    I took me a year to learn these things, but then, I have very little experience (or interest) in MMOs in general. I didn't know much about griefing until I started to play in Open in Elite.

    Originally Posted by ilo View Post (Source)
    Pledging to a powerplay without knowing your enemies is like getting into Open thinking you will only find friends there.. Most powerplay kills know what was going on. Complaining and venting is different. The OP was venting, or seemed like that to me.
    Of course. I've done it too.

    But I do think that some beginners might align with a power without realizing that it's painting a bulls eye on their back. Just sayin'.

  6. #111
    Originally Posted by Huckleberry_Hound_uk View Post (Source)
    Before I get started, I am a casual player putting 3-4 hours game play a week, novice combat rating, I like to play in open so I get the full ED experience of meeting other commanders.

    Now the reason for this post, I am currently unlocking the Engineers and was on my way to Todd McQueen with 100,000 bounty credits in my basic spec Python. I spot two other commanders in FDL's next thing I am interdicted by these 2 commanders and 10 seconds later faced with a re-buy screen. No communication, no request for cargo (I didn't have any anyway), I didn't even have a bounty, so what was the point, nothing was gained it just left me with a 4,000,000+ re-buy and having to rack up another 100K of bounties. I know people will say don't play in open if you want to avoid getting blown up by another commander but then I feel I am missing out on a big part of the ED experience as 90% of commanders are fine. I wouldn't mind a commander attacking me if I had valuable cargo or a bounty on my head, but why attack another commander just to kill them, what reward in the game do you get from it.

    The net result of this is I have decided to leave the bubble to visit SAG A (in open), I have wanted to do it for a while but kept putting it off, I intend to take my time.
    This is how some people are.
    You ask "what is the point?" The point was to have fun at your expense.
    And they succeeded. I bet it was very enjoyable for them.

    Kudo's for staying in open.
    I myself don't want types like that in my game.
    Solo is the only mode in any game for me.

  7. #112
    Originally Posted by ilo View Post (Source)
    And there is no learning neither getting gud or whatsoever by being killed in a sidewinder with just half a million in your account by a fully engineered FDL, this is just disgusting.. even if roleplaying.
    Right now, in the old system, it's too easy and too cheap to do it. Anyone can build a ship and the start flying around griefing and ganking. Hopefully in the new season it'll be harder and more costly to do so. I'm okay having griefers in Open, as long as it costs something to do it.

  8. #113
    Originally Posted by Han Zulu View Post (Source)
    Anyone can build a ship and the start flying around griefing and ganking. Hopefully in the new season it'll be harder and more costly to do so. I'm okay having griefers in Open, as long as it costs something to do it.
    Just for the sake of clarification: anyone with enough experience. You can't ask a newcomer to do that with the current stiff learning curve.

  9. #114
    Originally Posted by Muetdhiver View Post (Source)
    Indeed. At the micro level it's : if you go open you better have an iron and know your escape routine. Because everywhere is a lawless war zone, especially near engineer bases, CG's and well any high profile event. It's a well know fact, so people should plan ahead for it.
    For me personally, this is a fundamental flaw that enables (some) PvP - maybe the new C&P might help a little? But, for me, a major design disappointment. If I'm a galaxy famous engineer and make my living, well engineering... any cmdr who lurks around my base and kills other customers... I would never engineer another module for. That makes no business sense at all. The same goes for CGs. If the host can afford billions of credits to pay haulers, surely they can afford to hire some of the new ATR to patrol SC routes to their station - providing loads of emergent content for gankers.

    As for this...

    Originally Posted by Ian Doncaster View Post (Source)
    This is what I mean about complaints about being killed for no reason ... you could be killed for a reason and it would often look exactly the same to you and you'd be just as dead.
    Yes, it's not always that simple. I don't go looking for PvP (yet?) and have rarely attacked another cmdr - never without reason. The other night I laid into a mostly harmless shieldless T6. I pulled in behind him as he left the landing pad, had to throttle down not to run right through him, 2 shots from 1 weapon and his hull was at 21%... watched with sadness as he flew straight ahead and low waked away... followed him into SC... hailed him (again) before interdicting... and poof, he disappeared. Now, he might well have thought I was a mindless ganker picking on him for no reason. But... he rolled up to Sothis Mining and spammed docking reqs, jumped the queue, then ignored multiple hails - while docked, launching, and in SC. I'm not some random cold blooded killer, but jumping the queue for a medium pad...

  10. #115
    Basically there is no consequence to murder right now, hopefully 3.0 changes that.

  11. #116
    Originally Posted by Ethaidan View Post (Source)
    The other night I laid into a mostly harmless shieldless T6. I pulled in behind him as he left the landing pad, had to throttle down not to run right through him, 2 shots from 1 weapon and his hull was at 21%... watched with sadness as he flew straight ahead and low waked away... followed him into SC... hailed him (again) before interdicting... and poof, he disappeared. Now, he might well have thought I was a mindless ganker picking on him for no reason. But... he rolled up to Sothis Mining and spammed docking reqs, jumped the queue, then ignored multiple hails - while docked, launching, and in SC. I'm not some random cold blooded killer, but jumping the queue for a medium pad...
    but.. Were you landing or taking off? shooting because he didn't answer your hails? does he knows your language?

  12. #117
    Originally Posted by Han Zulu View Post (Source)
    True. For instance, you can be aligned with a superpower for power play. You're basically an open target for players from other powers. And there could be systems where pirates of some kind or other is trying to overtake and rule. Many reasons that the victim never would know about. That's why I don't complain about it anymore.
    Originally Posted by ilo View Post (Source)
    Pledging to a powerplay without knowing your enemies is like getting into Open thinking you will only find friends there.. Most powerplay kills know what was going on. Complaining and venting is different. The OP was venting, or seemed like that to me.
    lol - funny story...

    A while ago my wingmate, Xabaras and I, both pledged to Hudson. We were green and didn't know what was up with what.

    We were operating out of Wolf 906 and saw a Felicia Winters pledge in an Asp. Thinking we were allowed to engage other powerplayers freely, we stalked him off the pad and opened up on him right outside of the mailslot. We really tore him up, but let him get away as we realized that we had gone wanted and something wasn't right.

  13. #118
    Originally Posted by vindelanos View Post (Source)
    We really tore him up, but let him get away as we realized that we had gone wanted and something wasn't right.
    Some quick emergent high wake lol

  14. #119
    Originally Posted by ilo View Post (Source)
    but.. Were you landing or taking off? shooting because he didn't answer your hails? does he knows your language?
    I was waiting near the outpost, facing the medium pad when he dropped from SC. He flew near enough to the outpost to clearly see me sitting there. There was a good 2 minutes from him dropping from SC until the other T6 (on the pad) launched and left...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678