Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Crime and Punishment in Beyond Chapter One

yeah I completed the achievement and now am notoriety 10, kind of losing interest in this whole thing to be sure
    winding down on the ED...

Does anyone have any update on reckless weapons discharge leading to notoriety?
    The situation I find myself in occasionally is this:

1. Hazrez, wing of pirates attacking a miner
    2. Reckless weapons fine for whatever reason (could be my lousy trigger discipline, could be NPC wanders into beam-laser turret fire of its own volition)
    3. a) I save the NPC miner from this wing of pirates, go about my business but more pirates kill it a few minutes later - earning me a murder bounty because I'm tagged as doing (trivial) damage to it earlier
      b) I don't save the NPC miner from this wing of pirates in time, and earn myself a murder bounty because I'm tagged as doing (trivial) damage to it.

As far as I can tell, getting a harmless reckless discharge fine is a time-bomb towards guaranteed notoriety. You have to IMMEDIATELY drop everything you're doing, stow weapons, boost out of masslock and hope that you can enter SC before the pirates destroy the NCP that you tagged for the fine. OR, if the NPC is on low hull, you need to ensure you taunt all the pirates sufficiently with weapons fire and *then* drop everything you're doing, stow weapons, boost out of masslock and hope that you can enter SC before *more*, different, pirates destroy the NCP that you tagged for the fine.

With the 2hr wait, inability to hand in bounties for rep/influence in the system, and bug that requires you to quit to desktop before paying off bounties at an ISF broker even once you've reached zero notoriety, the whole process seems like a complete fustercluck for something that effectively comes down to stupid, suicidal AI bugs most of the time. Some basic sanity-check when allocating bounties such as "when a ship is destroyed, only place bounties on those who damaged it in the last 30 seconds before destruction or did more than 10% total damage to the ship" would go a long way to avoiding trivial issues from becoming session-ending issues.

Occasionally, reckless weapons discharge is my own fault for poor trigger discipline or mashing the wrong SLF order button and I accept full responsibility for that.

The frustration towards FDev comes when the AI seems to intentionally suicide in front of beam turrets or point defenses and results in a lockout for two hours. If I'm not even on the trigger and the NPC is supposed to be fleeing, why is it intentionally facetanking the pirate I'm engaged with, doing its best to get into that very narrow cone of fire where pirate missiles, AI-controlled weapon-turrets and point-defense rounds are expoding? It's exactly as stupid as the bug several months ago where every patrol cop in any instance would suicide-ram you because the scanning position coded into the game had been changed to a distance of 0km instead of 1km. That got tiring very quickly

In the case of suicidal NPCs that are flooding local comms with pleas for assistance, getting in the way of the assistance that arrives to help is just frustrating. How hard is it to program NPC AI, such that if they're trying to flee that they move away from their attacker instead of towards them? It's the "must face target head-on at exactly 1km" rubbish that screwed up for the suicide-ramming cops again, only in a different circumstance and 2 hours of lockout seems overly harsh for an AI bug.

But hey ho. Unpatched bugs seems to be the defining feature of Elite Dangerous these days; I hope the two interns they've put on 3.1 have everything under control whilst JWE is readied for launch.
    /rant

Well my noteriety is winding down, I don't really get this thing, I am in a shield less T10, but no one is after me, suppose that I have to clean wanted modules and ships later when noteriety is zero, which seems a time waste, like engineers, when you shuffle modules about and there are no material traders there for some reason.
    Anyway still not sure why killing npc is so bad. Weird to have the killed by an ATR achievement.

These are my recent experiences with friendly fire and assaulting a cop , In hi res I get a friendly warning ď stow those weapons CmdrĒ as a first and final warning, the second hit I get a 500cr bounty .

If I accidentally hit a clean or wanted npc without a scan completing then itís a 500cr assault charge which will rapidly turn to a murder charge . Then itís noteriety and hassle

This as far as I know is working as intended.

As for reckless weapons discharge, this comes in on a second incident, it happened to a buddy yesterday in a CNB , he got a bounty but no notoriety. .

Trigger discipline and being aware of whatís around you in the heat of combat is the only work around unless you use smart rounds on your M/Cís ...which is a bummer having to re supply ammo , which puts me off using them in hi res, cz etc

Originally Posted by bookmite View Post (Source)
    These are my recent experiences with friendly fire and assaulting a cop , In hi res I get a friendly warning ď stow those weapons CmdrĒ as a first and final warning, the second hit I get a 500cr bounty .

If I accidentally hit a clean or wanted npc without a scan completing then itís a 500cr assault charge which will rapidly turn to a murder charge . Then itís noteriety and hassle

This as far as I know is working as intended.

As for reckless weapons discharge, this comes in on a second incident, it happened to a buddy yesterday in a CNB , he got a bounty but no notoriety. .

Trigger discipline and being aware of whatís around you in the heat of combat is the only work around unless you use smart rounds on your M/Cís ...which is a bummer having to re supply ammo , which puts me off using them in hi res, cz etc
    Weapons on turret mounts will also mitigate against this however then the penalty is reduced damage from the weapon and increased scorn from 'WW1 style fixed mounts are the only way' purist snobs.

Would one of the healing beam effects work in our favour here as well?

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031