Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Your Favourite Quotes

It makes total sense, it's just a matter of scale.
    Using photons to look at a refrigerator is perfectly fine; they bounce off of it and end up in our eyes.
    No biggie.
    Using photons to look at photon sized things has a whole host of problems not present in the above example.
    Imagine bouncing beach balls into a beach ball, in order to create a picture of a beach ball.
    The act of observing in that manner, affects the behavior of that being observed, in a way that the refrigerator is not.

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    That's a very obscurant thing to say.
    The fact that you can't see the connection doesn't mean it isn't there. It just means you don't know enough, or see deep enough.

"God of the gaps" attitude will get us nowhere.
    Ok. But I still say order does not spring from chaos. That flies in the face of the 1st law of thermodynamics. The one that says in a closed system entropy always increases.

Originally Posted by KellyR View Post (Source)
    Ok. But I still say order does not spring from chaos. That flies in the face of the 1st law of thermodynamics. The one that says in a closed system entropy always increases.
    That's something a bit unrelated, but okay.
    In closed systems, entropy does always increase. But the universe, macro or microscopic, isn't a closed system. You have sources of low entropy in the universe. You can notice one rising above horizon every morning.
    In something as vast and old as a universe, "Order from chaos" is exactly what you can expect as infinitely small probabilities become inevitable.

In closed systems, entropy does always increase. But the universe, macro or microscopic, isn't a closed system. You have sources of low entropy in the universe. You can notice one rising above horizon every morning.
    In something as vast and old as a universe, "Order from chaos" is exactly what you can expect as infinitely small probabilities become inevitable.
    Infinitely small. Ok. Whatever you say.

"Every word you just said is wrong" ~ Luke Skywalker

Originally Posted by Genus View Post (Source)
    "Every word you just said is wrong" ~ Luke Skywalker
    Well, beats the good ol' "I don't understand it, therefore God did it" -every lazy mind ever.

I don't understand it, therefore God did it
    "To a degree, the Greek and Roman mythological heroes are just the first superheroes. They appeal to children for much the same reason. These gods and heroes may have powers, but they get angry and they do the wrong thing. They are human too." ~ Rick Riordan

Frank Zappa/Quotes:

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.

Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.

Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.

Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read.

Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.

Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff.

Frank Z was a goldmine of great quotes...........

Originally Posted by Manticore View Post (Source)
    Frank Zappa/Quotes:

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST.

Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.

I feel that these two quotes cancel each other out.

"I have heard that in war haste can be folly, but have never seen delay that was wise.”

sun-tzu, the art of war

"The fight is not about who's right, but about who's left" - The Woodcutter

Originally Posted by Oss133 View Post (Source)
    I feel that these two quotes cancel each other out.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Frank Z... he was always perverse (may he RIP).

"live a lot trust a few but always paddle your own canoe"

Don't know who said it but like it a lot

Originally Posted by Gortron View Post (Source)
    "live a lot trust a few but always paddle your own canoe"

Don't know who said it but like it a lot
    I think that's one of those proverbs that nobody in particular came up with but were always kind of there.

I think that's one of those proverbs that nobody in particular came up with but were always kind of there.
    There is a construction and services company local to me that inexplicably has that written on all its vehicles.