Page 3 of 6 First 12345 Last

Thread: A guide to good base jumping locations

I was thinking of joining you in Beta Sculptoris when I returned to the bubble from the Ram Tah mission, but you'd gone offline while I was still scanning ancient thingies.

I'm torn between giving it a go now, or waiting for your race. As you know I kind of suck at SRV flyving and I've never tied base jumping other than little ones during BRC races. So I could do with some practice, but I do like to try out new things during BRC races, so I'm not sure whether to save it until then.

Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)
    I was thinking of joining you in Beta Sculptoris when I returned to the bubble from the Ram Tah mission, but you'd gone offline while I was still scanning ancient thingies.

I'm torn between giving it a go now, or waiting for your race. As you know I kind of suck at SRV flyving and I've never tied base jumping other than little ones during BRC races. So I could do with some practice, but I do like to try out new things during BRC races, so I'm not sure whether to save it until then.
    Personally I'd recommend going over there and giving it a try. It's a pretty hardcore descent for the uninitiated so a few practice runs to figure out a) how to survive and b) how not to overshoot the base by 20km could be well worth doing. Incidentally, since I now realise I managed to get down in around 10 mins I'm thinking I might actually combine this with something else for the race (maybe a hill climb). The only problem is that I don't really want to subject racers to repeatedly having to do the 6kls supercruise out to the planet. I'll think on it some more. Either way the race probably won't be until the End of April at the earliest.

P.S. if you see me online and do fancy doing something like this then please give me a shout in comms as I'm usually always up for something like this. The only problem is the generally unsociable hours I play (around 6am UK time typically). Unusually, I'll be playing mid-evening this coming Wednesday (28th) so, if anyone fancied it, we could go and do some post-3.0 base jumping!

I love the music over the top of the OP

One from me... Nervi 3A at 22.5596, 113.1018

I don't know the altitude, I'll measure it next time I'm there.

If anyone is up for some jumping just give me a call! I'd love to join in!

I'm presuming that you want locations near the bubble...

I'll keep an eye out...

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Personally I'd recommend going over there and giving it a try. It's a pretty hardcore descent for the uninitiated so a few practice runs to figure out a) how to survive and b) how not to overshoot the base by 20km could be well worth doing. Incidentally, since I now realise I managed to get down in around 10 mins I'm thinking I might actually combine this with something else for the race (maybe a hill climb). The only problem is that I don't really want to subject racers to repeatedly having to do the 6kls supercruise out to the planet. I'll think on it some more. Either way the race probably won't be until the End of April at the earliest.

P.S. if you see me online and do fancy doing something like this then please give me a shout in comms as I'm usually always up for something like this. The only problem is the generally unsociable hours I play (around 6am UK time typically). Unusually, I'll be playing mid-evening this coming Wednesday (28th) so, if anyone fancied it, we could go and do some post-3.0 base jumping!
    I don't think that one 6k supercruise is too bad during a race.

Since there's a neutron star in the system, maybe combine the two in a "big jumps" race. The 3.0 engineering updates will mean it's easier to pull off this than it was during Double Action Jackson:

The double boost 'bug' is nerfed fixed in 3.0 I believe, which is a shame because it's tricky enough that I could only pull that off after the race when furrycat had shown me how! But since Beta Sculptoris needs a 6k SC to reach the mountain, flying to the Neutron Star while in system wouldn't really add much time (less than the boosted jumps save).

I tend to play late in the evening (after 10pm) and might not be able to play at all midweek at the moment, but if I can get online tomorrow evening I will.

I'd have messaged you in game on Sunday, but genuinely wasn't sure if I'd get time to visit all the ruins sites needed during the afternoon. It turned out I did, but you were offline when I finished.

Originally Posted by Susanna View Post (Source)
    I'm presuming that you want locations near the bubble...

I'll keep an eye out...
    The bubble is obviously more convenient for most but anywhere will do.

Originally Posted by Susanna View Post (Source)
    I love the music over the top of the OP

One from me... Nervi 3A at 22.5596, 113.1018

I don't know the altitude, I'll measure it next time I'm there.

If anyone is up for some jumping just give me a call! I'd love to join in!

https://youtu.be/XSF_v1glMhM
    Added - thanks!

P.S. do you happen to know whether this was before or after Mt. Nervi got nerfed to bring it's peak below the exclusion zone?

IMPORTANT UPDATE!

Having visited the Dav's Hope mountain this morning and discovered that it's pretty much impossible to find a landing spot on the top (at least, for a Python) I've added an extra detail that I'd like people to supply when contributing new entries - basically the availability of landing sites on top of the mountain. I've filled in the one's that I could (based either on first hand experience or from checking people's videos) but if people could check/supply this extra bit of information that would be much appreciated.

I might go back to some of the other sites tonight to see what they look like in 3.0 (the Dav's Hope planet has changed from beige to ash grey but it does look far more realistic). Since I'm currently parked halfway up a (not the) mountain at Dav's Hope ..

.. I'll measure the height of the large mountain while I'm there.

P.S. Schimz - could you confirm re: the Dav's Hope mountain - were you able to land a ship up there or did you have to climb the mountain in the SRV?

Here's a funny jump location:
    Exit from Oluwefami Depot

Location is on the video, I think it is Vesper M4

A great thread, this is what the forums should be about, not winging about this and that. I'll add the location s to my Interesting Systems web page. I already have a few there.

I got an update, as it turns out the Mountain from Wilson I submitted for the list here turns out to be right on the way of my planned Circumnavigation route so I checked out his height. Its roughly 15.5km

The best jump I've had was at this location en route to Colonia:

I reached 225 m/s and ended up doing two or three repair synths on the way down

I believe the peak is around 20km tall, but there are several, and i will update later with pics of the plateau that I believe that I jumped from.

The entire planet is generally pretty insane.

Originally Posted by CapitanAceR View Post (Source)
    Here's a funny jump location:
    Exit from Oluwefami Depot
    https://youtu.be/OYX1_FTifaY

Location is on the video, I think it is Vesper M4
    Apologies for the delay in updating the OP - thanks CapitanAceR, Exit from Oluwefami now added!

Originally Posted by Bomba Luigi View Post (Source)
    I got an update, as it turns out the Mountain from Wilson I submitted for the list here turns out to be right on the way of my planned Circumnavigation route so I checked out his height. Its roughly 15.5km

Thanks for the extra info Bomba - OP now updated.

Originally Posted by CMDR ANCALAGON View Post (Source)
    The best jump I've had was at this location en route to Colonia:

https://i.imgur.com/MJEYYjI.jpg

I reached 225 m/s and ended up doing two or three repair synths on the way down

https://i.imgur.com/QFPP5v8.jpg

I believe the peak is around 20km tall, but there are several, and i will update later with pics of the plateau that I believe that I jumped from.

The entire planet is generally pretty insane.

https://i.imgur.com/cX5t7JI.jpg
    Thanks commander - your jump site has now been added to the OP.

Quick update to say that I've now re-ordered the various locations on their distance from Sol.