Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A guide to good base jumping locations

Sol - Charon
    Downhill challenge

Pomeche 2C - High range mountain tourist beacon - 100ly
    A great flight.

Hyades Sector DR-V c2-23 A5 (Mountain close to Dav's Hope) - 180ly
    Fun to climb, deadly when go down

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    I can't remember which release (it was AGES ago) but they changed something which affected a whole bunch of "interesting" terrain including the enormous mountain in the Nervi system
    Update 2.2 was when the beigification and terrain normalization happened.

Originally Posted by Bomba Luigi View Post (Source)
    Oh yeah, plenty room to park a ship up there. Had a look trough my pictures and luckily found even one from the cockpit with cords:

http://abload.de/img/106mountains4ljrw2.png
    Thanks Bomba, we have our first mountain! Now added to the OP (could you just double check I've got everything right).

Beta Sculptoris, Smith Station, is at the base of a magnificent mountain .... I think I measured it at 7km high ....

and it has a persistent mining operation between the base and the mountain, both visible in this photo:

Here's one of me at the top ... for the selfie

But when I took a look at the mountain in Beta .... it had changed, looking somewhat nerfed ... and the mining farm had vanished !

So, I'd say, expect a lot of differences .... some poorer, some better .... in 3.0 !

Originally Posted by Schimz View Post (Source)
    Sol - Charon
    Downhill challenge
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUrK_Nn_aSM

A great flight.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb9P3i76S5A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bF_Ujp840E
    Thanks Schimz, I'll add those to the OP later, gotta run for a train now.

Originally Posted by Lightspeed View Post (Source)
    Beta Sculptoris, Smith Station, is at the base of a magnificent mountain .... I think I measured it at 7km high ....

and it has a persistent mining operation between the base and the mountain, both visible in this photo:

Here's one of me at the top ... for the selfie

But when I took a look at the mountain in Beta .... it had changed, looking somewhat nerfed ... and the mining farm had vanished !

So, I'd say, expect a lot of differences .... some poorer, some better .... in 3.0 !
    Ditto Lightspeed, that looks like an absolute beauty - might go and visit that one at the weekend (unless it's thousands of lys from Sol).

Thanks Schimz, I'll add those to the OP later, gotta run for a train now.

Ditto Lightspeed, that looks like an absolute beauty - might go and visit that one at the weekend (unless it's thousands of lys from Sol).
    I may fly out there again myself this weekend in my fast DBX taxi and get some more shots before it might change in 3.0, just to see what differences happen.

174 lyrs from Sol

Edit .... I just took another look, as I was in a DBX, but it was dark ! However, the mountain is currently standing at 18 km above Smith Base, but it has a long "skirt" .... the true mountain is probably about 7 km high from 'base' to peak.

Oh my god - I'm there now, this is AWESOME and exactly what I was looking for from this thread. The mountain is over 21km high and around 62km from Smith Base. This place has Buckyball Race written all over it! I just did my first run from the top down to the base - hit speeds well in excess of 250m/s and ended up overshooting the base by 17km before I finally managed to stop the SRV. Heading back to the top for run 2!

Edit: lost the SRV to a 100m/s head on collision with a floating rock on the 2nd run. Beta Sculptoris now added to the OP (along with a couple of screenshots of my own). Don't worry Schimz, I haven't forgotten about yours!

My last picture of this in 2.4

Oh my god - I'm there now, this is AWESOME and exactly what I was looking for from this thread. The mountain is over 21km high and around 62km from Smith Base. This place has Buckyball Race written all over it! I just did my first run from the top down to the base - hit speeds well in excess of 250m/s and ended up overshooting the base by 17km before I finally managed to stop the SRV. Heading back to the top for run 2!

Edit: lost the SRV to a 100m/s head on collision with a floating rock on the 2nd run. Beta Sculptoris now added to the OP (along with a couple of screenshots of my own). Don't worry Schimz, I haven't forgotten about yours!
    It would be possible to race from the top to achieve the fastest time to "docking permission granted" at Smith Base

I don't see your post for this mountain in your OP. EDIT - oops, I was looking at the top of page 2

It would be possible to race from the top to achieve the fastest time to "docking permission granted" at Smith Base

I don't see your post for this mountain in your OP.
    We tend to incorporate crazy stuff like this into a larger event. Where's the fun in driving headlong down a mountain if you've not had to complete other tasks before even landing on the mountain.

Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)
    We tend to incorporate crazy stuff like this into a larger event. Where's the fun in driving headlong down a mountain if you've not had to complete other tasks before even landing on the mountain.
    Well the Beta Sculptoris mountain is on a double moon system. You could fly out from Fan Horizons (I think that's the name of the space port in that system) and circumnavigate the two moons in a figure of 8 first, if you wish

Beta Sculptoris is the only system in the Bubble with a Neutron Star. Great if you like supercharging your FSD.

I don't see your post for this mountain in your OP. EDIT - oops, I was looking at the top of page 2
    Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)
    Actually, Lightspeed's suggestion of racing headlong down the mountain is exactly what I had in mind. A deceptively simple race, start at the top (co-ordinates to verify position in screenshot #1), race to Smith Base (inside a garage for screenshot #2). I think it would make an excellent little race (which I'll be testing some more tomorrow afternoon).

Originally Posted by Schimz View Post (Source)
    Sol - Charon
    Downhill challenge
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUrK_Nn_aSM

A great flight.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb9P3i76S5A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bF_Ujp840E
    Brilliant - thanks Schimz, all now added to the OP. I think I've done the "Dav's Hope" mountain and I've definitely been to the "Epic Mountain Range" tourist beacon but I didn't drive it in the SRV so I might have to go back and try these tomorrow ... or maybe I'll wait until after 3.0 drops, that'll give me a reason to check out the new planet tech.

o7

Here's a video of one of my better Smith Base descents ..

And here's a video of an attempt that didn't go quite so well ..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast