Thread: Blinkstick Project

Blinkstick Project

Hi folks,

Has anyone had any experience using these ingenious bits of kit?

https://www.blinkstick.com/

I pretty much just dived straight in and purchased a couple of Blinkstick Squares and Enclosures without doing my homework!

Figured it would be cool to setup these to work with ED, a couple of things come to mind such as under attack, missiles incoming and new message, each event having a unique colour.

You can see a demo here using a smaller version while playing DOOM, gives a good general idea.

However, this is now where I start to get a little out of my depth, I can see loads of API stuff online but I have no idea which I should use in order to accomplish this.

So i phoned an ITD friend, pretty sure he just laughed at me after what I figured was a good explanation on what i wanted to do Think I might be figuring this out on my own, but hopefully with some help from you guys!

I guess my first question is, is there a specific API or "whatever" that I should be looking at first in order to get this project in motion?

Thanks!

How do you like them? Before finding your thread I didn't know this existed, so thanks for this write up!

If they can produce full RGB (256 values each for red, green and blue), I can try to add the functionality for it to my EliteG19s app. I could simply reuse the code I now have to produce game specific lighting effects on Logitech keyboards.

One option is to write an EDMC plugin in Python.
    You can use the Blinkstick Python SDK to change the LED colours depending on real-time game events.

Originally Posted by MagicMau View Post (Source)
    How do you like them? Before finding your thread I didn't know this existed, so thanks for this write up!

If they can produce full RGB (256 values each for red, green and blue), I can try to add the functionality for it to my EliteG19s app. I could simply reuse the code I now have to produce game specific lighting effects on Logitech keyboards.
    MagicMau. If you add functionality for this, I will buy it and add to the beer fund!

This documentation might help you get started by showing you what is written in your player journal. Unfortunately, things like missile & impact alerts aren't passed into the journal (yet) but have been suggested. Head over to this forum if you have any suggestion you'd like to have added in the future.

You can still do other alerts like being attacked and interdiction, for instance. If you want to go farther then you can add blinking yellow caution lights when your lower your gear then have them automatically shut off when your script gets the [Docked] or [Touchdown] trigger in the journal.

I figure you can use a something like an Arduino Micro to control the RGB LEDs. A script for listening to the player journal events would trigger the LEDs to what you have them set to. It's totally doable if the game writes it and you can code or bind it!

I would suggest youtube, instructables and google for research.

Hint: There are scripts for LED control already available from several sources and languages.