Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Random Crashes when accessing galaxy map

Perhaps many of us have stopped sending in crash reports after the CTD from opening the Galmap because we assumed Frontier had the necessary data to work on this problem.

Perhaps no one sending in crash reports has made them wishfully think the problem has gone away.. I suggest to all of the Frontier players to resume sending in the crash reports to Frontier to show them no, the problem hasnt been fixed.

Still crashes and last night it became a nightmare

Since last night, after getting a bounty in-game, I'm unable to open the galaxy map without a full game crash.
    Sometimes it asks me to submit a crash report (i always submit them) while other times it just closes and not crash report window appears. it's unplayable this way. :/

Originally Posted by CMDR_Brantford View Post (Source)
    Perhaps many of us have stopped sending in crash reports after the CTD from opening the Galmap because we assumed Frontier had the necessary data to work on this problem.

Perhaps no one sending in crash reports has made them wishfully think the problem has gone away.. I suggest to all of the Frontier players to resume sending in the crash reports to Frontier to show them no, the problem hasnt been fixed.
    Every time it happens. I always send a crash report hoping they get tired of receiving them and fix the stupid thing.

I am still getting the crash to desktop every time galaxy map is opened at first game launch.
    After relaunching game, opening the galaxy map does not cause a crash.

If the crash report box comes up, I respond and send it.
    Sometimes only the Windows dialogue box comes up.

Originally Posted by CMDR Seron View Post (Source)
    Ok, I think I can identify the problem: the crash occurs because of the accumulation of trade data. Gather too much, and you are no longer able to use the galaxy map.

As -=FALCON=- has reported above, there are two folders which contain data on recently visited systems. On the Mac these folders are located in (user)/Library/Application Support/Frontier Developments/Elite Dangerous. These folders have numbers as name, mine are called 2416701 and 2460812. The later contains only two files, but the former contains 1142 files (22,2 MB). They are named "Trade[lots of numbers].mdat". I removed both folders which prompted the game two create them anew. The galaxy map now opens flawlessly. The new folder 2416701 contains only 475 files (9,3 MB).

So, to solve the problem with the crashing galaxy map, locate the folder containing the trade data on your respective platform and delete it (compare -=FALCON=-'s post). I think only the first folder containing the .mdat-files has to be deleted; the second folder can stay. If this does not work, delete both folders. You loose all your trade information, but you can use your map again.
    Can someone tell me where these files are located on my Windows system?

Originally Posted by Oxbow View Post (Source)
    Can someone tell me where these files are located on my Windows system?
    C:\user\[username]\AppData\Local\Frontier Development\Elite Dangerous\[lots of numbers]

Note: There are two folders called Frontier Developtment; you want that one without the underscore.

€: CMDR_Brantford, you are correct.

C:\user\[username]\AppData\Local\Frontier Development\Elite Dangerous\[lots of numbers]

Note: There are two folders called Frontier Developtment; you want that one without the underscore.
    2nd Note: Once the trade data folder gets filled up at a certain point, it will crash the game again (usually when you've logged out of a game and then re-log back in)... meaning you'll need to go in and re-delete the folder.

: CMDR_Brantford, you are correct.

I haven't tried this workaround, because the last two times I launched the game, I did not get the crash to desktop on opening galaxy map.
    Not sure if Frontier did something; I'm not aware of any changes made to my laptop.

Hope I stay crash free!

Ok, I think I can identify the problem: the crash occurs because of the accumulation of trade data. Gather too much, and you are no longer able to use the galaxy map.

As -=FALCON=- has reported above, there are two folders which contain data on recently visited systems. On the Mac these folders are located in (user)/Library/Application Support/Frontier Developments/Elite Dangerous. These folders have numbers as name, mine are called 2416701 and 2460812. The later contains only two files, but the former contains 1142 files (22,2 MB). They are named "Trade[lots of numbers].mdat". I removed both folders which prompted the game two create them anew. The galaxy map now opens flawlessly. The new folder 2416701 contains only 475 files (9,3 MB).

So, to solve the problem with the crashing galaxy map, locate the folder containing the trade data on your respective platform and delete it (compare -=FALCON=-'s post). I think only the first folder containing the .mdat-files has to be deleted; the second folder can stay. If this does not work, delete both folders. You loose all your trade information, but you can use your map again.
    Thank you so much for this post. My game was plagued with the galaxy map crash since 3.0 launch and this solution got rid of that.

The Trade Data solution only fixes the crash that occurs every time you enter the galaxy map if you have a large amount of accumulated trade data. I cleared those folders and the frequency reduced however it is still happening repeatedly. I submit crash reports every time it occurs and I have had at least 10 crashes over the last 24 hours. It's getting to be a real drag as I never had this issue previously.

Aaand a day later the crash returns...

I got fed up with filling out the bug reporter with what I was doing/what system I was in

So now they get little stories or monty python songs, or any polite nonsense I care to type..

Think I'll start re-writing Queen song lyrics to suit next

Bill

<<<< Just crashed to desktop for the 6547092th time while accessing the galaxy map

Originally Posted by Oxbow View Post (Source)

I haven't tried this workaround, because the last two times I launched the game, I did not get the crash to desktop on opening galaxy map.
    Not sure if Frontier did something; I'm not aware of any changes made to my laptop.

Hope I stay crash free!
    Never mind
    It's BACK

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617