Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My journey around 366km radius rocky moon (travel log)

My journey around 366km radius rocky moon (travel log)

Circumnavigationing a planet/moon is something i have thought about doing since the release of Horizons, but always been a little scared to actually do it. But Alec Turner (here) and Nick Sticks threads (here) have been an inspiration, and as of now i have atleast started this journey.

Target i have choosen is 366km Rocky (with little bit of Metal) moon 7555 ly from Sol. Marker points my starting location (inside a crater, what is inside a bigger crater), and circular target is my first greater waypoint). Second picture is a flyby shot to give a better overview of the moon (i have left some interesting features offscreen , to be honest system map surface map preview doesnt do a justice to this moon)

In this thread i try to log my journey (mostly for myself) - don't know how active i will be, probably will not always post this many pics. I guess it depends how much time i have. And one other thing - i will count days as i play days, not real life days.

Day 1 is done, here are a few pics:

Exiting my ASP and a first few meters on the way:

An edge of the crater is on sight. Little way to go:

End of Day 1, reached a little canyon. Turn left, or turn right?:

Same position from different angle, this time with my ship recalled:

Will probably turn left since i have drifted too much to the right. And will probably follow along the canyon to see where it leads (and keeping an eye on the surface map to not drift too far from waypoint):

First day drove 53km.

Now finished Day 2:

First thing i noticed it was dark (what a difference lighting can make). At the end of previous day i had a choice - left or right - i choose left. It was nice drive inside canyon:

After a little while i decided to take a shortcut (since i was afraid to drift too much right) - climbed up from canyon, drove couple of hundreds of meters and got to this. Turned out it wasnt a great shortcut:

Finally found a more gradul descent, used it and continued along the canyon. It got much wider, around little peaks here and there. Looking back where i have traveled (this picture is perfect to illustrate first part of todays drive):

After the gradual ascent (the moment i took last picture) it descented sharply into a great valley. It almost looked like a old crater (probably not but who knows). It is my favorite pic of the day, love the color (almost looked like a fog, but it wasnt):

During a drive on the valley it very slowly started to get more uneven, and when i saw a little mini-crater (upper right corner of pic) i decided to call it a day. This mini-crater gives a good way to start next day:

Surface map at the end of Day 2:

Day 2 was 62km (total 115km).

Excellent! Nick Sticks is done, but I am not left travelogue-less!

Some great pictures there.

Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    Excellent! Nick Sticks is done, but I am not left travelogue-less!
    Proabably wont post as many pictures everyday i travel, but hope i can atleast one or two (in addition to updated surface map).

Circumference 2437 KM...60 KM per day...yields approximately 40 days. Good luck Watney.

Ah another surface explorer! Subscribed and + rep.

subscribed! circumnavigating a planet is on my bucketlist!

nice .. I'm looking forward to next report . btw ... great "photos"

But let me ask this .. I noticed you (and most of other SRV travelers) recall your ship when "call it a day" ?
    What's reason to do that ? Just need to repair or maybe something else ?

TW

Originally Posted by TWitko View Post (Source)
    nice .. I'm looking forward to next report . btw ... great "photos"

But let me ask this .. I noticed you (and most of other SRV travelers) recall your ship when "call it a day" ?
    What's reason to do that ? Just need to repair or maybe something else ?

TW
    For me I guess it was partly the repair but mostly just some kind of RP sense of having somewhere to bed down for the night. I don't know really - it's silly but it felt somehow wrong to just leave my commander sitting in the SRV (he'd want to stretch his legs, make a brew, check his emails, that kinda thing - surely?). I never actually took off tho' (not even for a quick look see at the terrain ahead). Again, I don't know why really but that would have felt wrong to me. That said, I actually lost one of my two SRV's during my own circumnavigation and had to land the ship back at my last known co-ordinates and deploy the 2nd one. That's always bothered me and is one reason why I want to do this again - this time without losing an SRV.

Alec - thnx for reply. I'm going to do my own SRV trip soon - just need to find appropriate body - small and interesting

My idea is to do without "mothership support" ... don't know why exactly Maybe just feeling (or let's call it "immersion") ? Not sure .. never mind
    That's why I wonder why other commanders use this (recall ship) approach .. but you are right .. my commander will probably hate me .. several days in SRV, without bed, beer, emails and toilet

TW

You can come across enough materials to repair and refuel your SRV on the journey to not need to recall your ship but for me it was like having a bed for the night. I don't think it makes any difference really.

I did stay in my SRV sometimes when it wasn't possible to land the T7 and once when I was next to my T7 and forgot to board!

My next planet to circumnavigate will be bigger......

On my aborted attempt to navigate a pole to pole route at Beagle Pount 2, I brought the Lakon Type 6 down to form a base camp each evening. Seriously tempted to do a route with just the SRV though. Convoy anyone?

Originally Posted by Macedonica View Post (Source)
    On my aborted attempt to navigate a pole to pole route at Beagle Pount 2, I brought the Lakon Type 6 down to form a base camp each evening. Seriously tempted to do a route with just the SRV though. Convoy anyone?
    Actually, if 3 or 4 people were going to do a circumnavigation it would be quite fun to all start on the same day and do the same planet. I wouldn't want it to be a race but having a bunch of SRVs doing it with waypoints and occasional meetups - it could be like a proper expedition! Anyway, we're rather taking over Kris' travelogue thread here. I suggest that any further discussion of a group circumnavigation attempt should be taken over to the Planetary Circumnavigation Club thread.

Neat. I bookmarked a system last night with a bunch of sub 1k km bodies that looked like good circumnavigation targets myself. It'll probably be a bit before I cross this off my bucketlist though.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast