Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Framerate and bandwidth counter on Xbox

Originally Posted by CMDR Beni Stingray View Post (Source)
    In my opinion it would just be easier if i could see it down in the corner. For example if im pirating at the a CG and wait in SC until someone jumps to the system.

If it kills your immersion you dont need to use it but fo me its a no-brainer. If im waiting for my next victim, im watching anyway tv or im on youtube on my laptop. On the other hand i wouldnt use it if im exploring.

Why do you have such a big problem with that i dont get it?!

Edit: Im mainly talking about the bandwidth counter, FPS isnt important for me.
    Makes it a bit clearer in that case, I assumed you were referring to the FPS counter. I use the bandwidth monitor occasionally when I play in open... on PC it's an early warning system more than anything else and sometimes quite necessary to avoid folks like you

I don't have an issue with the FPS counter per Se, since I don't ever use it; with my PC...there really is no need. That said, in PC circles, so many people seem overly obsessed with that little counter instead of just playing the games. I've been in multiplayer games where everything has stopped whilst someone investigates why their FPS has dropped by a miniscule amount... kinda off putting.

In these days of GTX 1080Ti's and i7-7700k processors, a frame rate of 100fps+ is quite normal... and to ever drop below 75 fps even at 4K resolutions is an anomaly. (Either that or you're playing Star Citizen in 640x480)

Not everyone has a 1080Ti of course or a custom built latest thing games PC...but the folks who don't have those nice things aren't the ones who seem obsessed with frame rates.

Ah ok yeah i get what youre saying. Its a little bit who has the biggest e-peen on computer.

I would also mostly use it as an early warning system thats my main reason. Also now that i have thought about it, sometimes i could still use the FPS counter on the consoles, mainly out of curiosity, in big wing fights or in stations if its lagging for example.

Other than that FPS are not really interesting on consoles because its anyway fixed to 60 FPS.

Other than that FPS are not really interesting on consoles because its anyway fixed to 60 FPS.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
    That’s the funniest line I’ve read in days!! 😂😂😂
    E: D is fixed at 60 fps only on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X with the game set to performance. Similarly some other games behave the same.
    But if you switch to Quality mode or you play on a regular PS4 / Xbox One, most games run at 30 fps if the devs are smart enough to cap it, otherwise the framerate struggles between 30 and 40-50 fps at best.
    Console game developers focus on resolution improvements because consoles have strong GPUs; framerate needs CPU power, and consoles have quite embarrassing CPUs. Only the Xbox One X has a CPU capable of running games in 1080p/1440p @ 60 fps. The PS4 Pro sometimes struggles at 60 fps even in 1080p.

Originally Posted by Toothsaw View Post (Source)
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
    That’s the funniest line I’ve read in days!! 
    E: D is fixed at 60 fps only on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X with the game set to performance. Similarly some other games behave the same.
    But if you switch to Quality mode or you play on a regular PS4 / Xbox One, most games run at 30 fps if the devs are smart enough to cap it, otherwise the framerate struggles between 30 and 40-50 fps at best.
    Console game developers focus on resolution improvements because consoles have strong GPUs; framerate needs CPU power, and consoles have quite embarrassing CPUs. Only the Xbox One X has a CPU capable of running games in 1080p/1440p @ 60 fps. The PS4 Pro sometimes struggles at 60 fps even in 1080p.
    The funniest thing you have read in days?

I feel for you slightly.

The game is actually not fixed at 60 fps. It's capped at 60 fps, which means that when circumstances are ideal the framerate reaches (and never exceeds) 60 fps. That's not to say it always does, on the contrary. Elite usually doesn't reach that value, not even in performance mode - it's simply too complex of a game to reach 60 all the time on today's consoles with their weak CPUs. I would love a Digital Foundry analysis on the Xbox One X version but even with my bare eyes I can see it's stuttering most of the time.

Originally Posted by Toothsaw View Post (Source)
    E: D is fixed at 60 fps only on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X with the game set to performance.
    Have you actually read the conversation? We are talking about ED and not other games. See what i have written:

Sometimes i could still use the FPS counter on the consoles, mainly out of curiosity, in big wing fights or in stations if its lagging for example.
    So what's your point?

Originally Posted by dreampage View Post (Source)
    The game is actually not fixed at 60 fps. It's capped at 60 fps, which means that when circumstances are ideal the framerate reaches (and never exceeds) 60 fps. That's not to say it always does, on the contrary. Elite usually doesn't reach that value, not even in performance mode - it's simply too complex of a game to reach 60 all the time on today's consoles with their weak CPUs. I would love a Digital Foundry analysis on the Xbox One X version but even with my bare eyes I can see it's stuttering most of the time.
    Yeah i know, i meant capped, english is not my native language and i have choosen the wrong word. And yeah thats why i would like the FPS counter so i can see how good/bad it gets in crouded areas and busy wingfights.

But im mainly interested in the bandwidth counter just as a QOL improvement.

So the bandwidth counter used as an early warning of PvP event... Isn't that a bit close to being an exploit?

Don't need or want it, or the fps counter for that matter.
    o7

Originally Posted by Mr Cynical View Post (Source)
    So the bandwidth counter used as an early warning of PvP event... Isn't that a bit close to being an exploit?
    Its the same as if i would check my contacts but a much easier way without having to switch constantly between contacts and normal screen. Also the PC people already have it implemented in the game, so no this has nothing to do with an exploit.

Also its already implemented on Xbox but the Devs have turned it off.

Its the same as if i would check my contacts but a much easier way without having to switch constantly between contacts and normal screen. Also the PC people already have it implemented in the game, so no this has nothing to do with an exploit.

Also its already implemented on Xbox but the Devs have turned it off.
    It's used more as an early warning system since the bandwidth monitor shows a spike before you exit the jump into a system, signalling that there's a human commander presence in the instance you're dropping into... once you've actually dropped into the system and in supercruise, it becomes secondary to the mark one eyeball on the radar and contacts panel.

The monitor is fairly useless when dropping into a CG for instance, where the presence of other Commanders is guaranteed...at least on PC

As for it being an exploit? Nah...It's more of a wake up call to be on your toes when in open mode and check the radar...You still have to check the contacts to spot that naughty Ferdie de-la Clownshoe or Corvette skulking about watching the drop in point or hovering around midway to the station.... It's a bit pointless scooting off in panic if the spike means nothing more than mostly harmless Cmdr Nigel trudging along in a T-6 hauling biowaste...unless you're a pirate of course

All in all, it still pays to be curious or wary about the ship types in the system. This goes for PvE and PvP...namely, if there's a Clipper, Anaconda, any of the Federal ships, Clownshoes, Pythons, Asp explorers or Scouts... or any ship not being an obvious trader or system defence force...an interdiction could be likely with or without the usual warning of... "That's the ship I'm looking for..."

It still astounds me that more than a few players never seem to see the interdiction coming well before it happens, whether it be by NPC's or fellow Commanders. It's not like any of those ships can physically sneak up behind you or anything, they're quite obviously marked on the radar...

And how many people ye think even know how to reduce the fov on the scanner with a keybind thats already programmed in? Or even understand what it does and what it allows ye to see.

It shows the targets as closer or further out on the scanner which makes it easier to predict the movements of players or npc in relation to you. Which means that if ye know how to read the scanner, and use it, then ye literally can see it coming, and be one step ahead instead of behind. Even an interdictor with engineering has to gain a good angle more or less behind you to get a bite...so simply make them work fer it or lead them into a planet or suns gravity to see if ye can lose them there.

Players are generally smarter than npc, but now and then ye get lucky and cause someone to faceplant a planet or just snag them up in the gravity that hampers their ability to accelerate.

I remember how the badwidth monitors could be read in other games which could actually predict player movements if ye know what to look for, but I have honestly no idea why they were removed here, olr even if that excuse did the rounds at any point.

Its a mystery Holmes...the game is afoot!

Originally Posted by Mole HD View Post (Source)
    How often do you look at your watch, as a matter of interest? I took my watch off when I realised I didn't care what day it was, far less the time...
    For me it's habit. I used to repair watches for a living. It just doesn't feel right to me, having that kind of background, wearing a watch that doesn't keep correct time. As for the FPS and ping, etc., I used to have them hot keyed. I rarely used them unless I was having lag/connection issues. When I was playing BSGO, it was almost a necessity. That game was laggier and buggier with connections, than ED ever has been for me. It is handy in those situations. So, that again also became habit to have them.

Rooks o7

Originally Posted by Sebastian Rooks View Post (Source)
    For me it's habit. I used to repair watches for a living. It just doesn't feel right to me, having that kind of background, wearing a watch that doesn't keep correct time. As for the FPS and ping, etc., I used to have them hot keyed. I rarely used them unless I was having lag/connection issues. When I was playing BSGO, it was almost a necessity. That game was laggier and buggier with connections, than ED ever has been for me. It is handy in those situations. So, that again also became habit to have them.

Rooks o7
    Ah it had its moments to be fair...ever miss it?

Originally Posted by verminstar View Post (Source)
    Well, on a light note, I found Muspell. I might move my fleet there, (for nostalgia) once I'm finished engineering. The Veil is 1600-ish Ly from the bubble.

I don't miss the grind. I don't miss the water cap. BP destroyed the game with them. I don't miss the chat box much. Although I had more friends and frienemies than actual adversaries, so not much was usually directed toward me. Aquaria was less toxic than most servers I played.

I do miss the really big fleet battles that began on Friday late afternoon and ran until early Monday morning. Or, when the battle was an even fight and just one player logged for the evening, how the fight would start going south for that side, mine or theirs didn't matter. Or, fighting against insurmountable odds and taking the system from superior numbers. I found it really exhilarating at times. It's still the best open sandbox pvp game I've ever played. Individual skill, large scale tactics, planning and strategy meant more. With ED, individual skill is still important, but tactics, planning and strategy is on a much smaller scale. I find that ironic, given the size of the sandbox here. I think it could be possible to get that kind of thing going with ED, if the game ever gets past it's player mode identity crisis. Frontier needs to get their grind under control too. They're doing the same thing BigPoint did. Wish in one hand...lol

Rooks o7

Originally Posted by verminstar View Post (Source)
    Do you miss it? Aside from the toxic chat, that is...

Originally Posted by Sebastian Rooks View Post (Source)
    Do you miss it? Aside from the toxic chat, that is...
    Sometimes...I was absolutely addicted to that game fer 6 years and had spent well over 2k real money...I sorta made a name fer meself on Tauron server back in the day when colonials outnumbered cylons 5 to 1. Fleet battles were what I lived for and while I always worked alone, lots of strikes would hang around me because they knew I never backed down no matter the odds.

Used to have a saying...¨yer not outnumbered, its not a fair fight¨

I was extremely unpopular with some the leadership there because I wouldnt do as I was told and gave them the middle finger every time they tried, so when it comes to salt trust me...I know all there is to know about salt and trolling cos I was the best at it.

Top smurf on Tauron hated me with a passion...used to chase me fer ages to try and kill me ignoring his own fleet and focusing on only me. Problem was we were the absolute opposite...he was a sliding missile spammer and the best at what he did, while I was the best close quarters fighter. Its all gravy, Ive known the guy since the days of freelancer back in 98 and its a long story with a none too happy ending. We have the highest respect fer each other but we will always be enemies...frenemies if ye like

Anyway different now, Im not on pc anymore at all now...happy enough here but I dont pvp at all here...ye sometimes I do miss it have to admit ^

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12