• 03 - Galactic Midden - Separated At Berth

4 36.36%
  • 04 - Alien - 3.14159 Day

5 45.45%
  • 05 - BluWolve - Fading Star

4 36.36%
  • 06 - Fbooks - Perish the thought

2 18.18%
  • 07 - MikeSnos - Kerrash Cart for Simoof!

3 27.27%
  • 08 - RoyalHankey - The Hankey Surprise for Winnard

1 9.09%
  • 09 - Listeri69 - A sheep, A Kow and A snake fall off a cliff.. What Sound do they make?

2 18.18%
  • 10 - Fletch - Welcome Home to Simoof the Greatest explorer EVER

1 9.09%
  • 11 - Pong -Unititled

2 18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drabble Short Story Contest #241: Surprise

Drabble Short Story Contest #241: Surprise

Well done to BluWolve whose great Drabble swept all of last week's votes

It's a shame he never picked this week's topic - I set one for us - "Surprise"

Psykokow hosts the Abraka-Drabble live reading show and "comedy" hour (usually at 7pm), Fridays on...
    HUTTON ORBITAL RADIO! http://streaming.radionomy.com/HuttonOrbitalRadio (audio only)
    LAVE RADIO! http://laveradio.com/ (audio only)
    TWITCH! http://www.twitch.tv/psykokow/ (audio & visual)
    and will also be uploaded to his You-tube channel & anywhere else he can inflict the world with our drabblings!

Come back on Sunday night to see how well your Drabble has done. At least come back before Monday 15:00 to check if you're the one that has to provide us with a topic.

Please vote. Everyone is welcome to vote.
    And a plea to all of the contestants, Don't vote for yourself.

01 - Frank - Oh! You Shouldn't Have

Great news! I'm not paranoid. They really are out to get me. From the lobby I could hear feet shuffling behind my hotel room door.

It's the galaxy's biggest open secret that slavery is bad for the Empire's economy. But of course some vested interests are making a killing, and they won't be too happy with my report. Slavers aren't exactly famous for their even temperament.

I burst through the door guns a-blazing. Blood and intestines splattered everywhere mixing with a birthday cake's showering sponge. I looked in horror at the carnage, and at the blood-spattered flags spelling "HAPPY 40TH"

02 - CdrTwisted - Blind debt

George Lucas turned its attention to the Cobra docked in bay 17.

"What’s your name and where d’ya come from?" the pilot asked.

Ah. The courier from Pratchett Gateway. George Lucas refreshed its circuits and found the passcode.

Nice to see you, to see you nice, it responded.

"I need a new hat," the pilot said. More ancient code. George Lucas examined the offline card index.

You get nothing for a pair, not in this game.

The pilot sighed in relief. "Thanks, Lukey - it's an emergency. Call a medic. We picked up a disease. It's Cillerear. We've had alorralorralaffs."

03 - Galactic Midden - Separated At Berth

Rob De Balzac coughed as cold hands cupped and caressed his prized possession. This wasn't the treatment he'd expected at Mary's Land of Larceny. For one thing, he'd been told to expect a toasty welcome. For another, he'd believed they'd all have sticky fingers. Fortunately that wasn't true, he thought.

"Excuse me!", he shouted across the filthy landing bay, "that's my Asp you're stroking. Remove those coveting hands".

"Was you, the owner?" spat a toothless crone as she nodded to her enormous bodyman approaching.

"What do you mean, 'was'!? I..." he choked.

"Sorry m'lud, was were I meant to say".

04 - Alien - 3.14159 Day

"A meaty filling ... with gravy"
    Sven looked mystified, he couldn't also grasp the concept of pastry.
    "A ... pie?"
    "Yes, a pie, trust me, when cooked they are the best food on Earth."
    Simoof stood up "Hang on Sven, I've got this." Simoof left.
    "And people eat them? ... and ... pay ... to eat them?" Sven still couldn't grasp the concept.
    "Yes, and mash"
    "Mash?"
    "Creamy white potatoes"
    "po ... tay ... toes?"
    "you boil them, mash them stick them in a stew ... potatoes"
    A loud smelly blurrping noise erupted, and Simoof came back carrying something
    "I have sir's pies ... did you want creamy mash?"

05 - BluWolve - Fading Star

Balthazar Prize gazed out through the viewing gallery windows of the restaurant. He was bitter, as many regrets as there were stars in the black. A miserable old Imperial, he fancied himself a refined individual who was better than most. He had made a name for himself back in the early days of CQC, but the sport was almost as washed up as he was. A stranger approached, claimed to be a fan. "Can I get an autograph Balthazar?" He was mildly surprised, but not enough so that he couldn't respond with a dignified; "That's Sir Prize to you, peasant."

06 - Fbooks - Perish The Thought

I’m cold. I didn’t intend to stowaway but when the chance to get off-world and go to Colonia comes along, you take it.

Damn freight crates are a nightmare. Life support’s one thing but they weren’t exactly built for comfort. And what the bloody hell was that crashing earlier? I almost broke my neck!

Seems calm now, though I swear it’s getting colder. Wonder how far to go now?

News Report: Following a surprise attack on a convoy heading to Colonia, 342 tons of live cattle were lost to the void when a type-9 exploded near Lave Station earlier today...

07 - MikeSnos - Kerrash Cart for Simoof!

Simoof never ceases to be surprised. He gets surprised by the unending farts, the never ending jibes directed at him, and the ceaseless attempts to kill him during the Drabble show.

Sometimes Simoof gets REALLY surprised when he doesn't do a loop of shame or when someone actually writes a genuinely funny Drabble. Occasionally he's even been surprised when people are nice to him (it's not undeserved to be honest).

However, the biggest surprise for Simoof is happening right now... Snos has actually written, and submitted, a Drabble for the first time in months!

Nurse! Quick! The Kerrash Cart please!

08 - RoyalHankey - The Hankey Surprise for Winnard

Saint John Hawke two years after blowing up in on the way back from Beagle Point hit another disaster in Colonia.
    While testing a new black operation theory he was given by Simon Winnard his Sidewinder blew up and this time it was a total disaster.
    Someone mentioning no names, Winnard <cough> must of altered the escape pods navigation and sent him 22,000 light years back to the bubble.
    After a few hours Saint John Hawke figured a way to create a wormhole effect with his newly engineered drive which sent him back to Colonia. That's when he killed Simon Winnard.

09 - Listeri69 - A sheep, A Kow and A snake fall off a cliff.. What Sound do they make?

Cmdr Saint John Hawke splurted into another sticky hanky, it still had some snake on it.
    He'd dreamt of killing Cmdr Winnard but his fantasies were beginning to affect his performance
    Twice on the way home from Colonia he'd got so frustrated that he forgot to scoop after way-pointing
    so now he sat waiting for a fuel rat. Suddenly a ship jumped into the system. Finally he thought
    'Fill me upr'
    'I'll do more than that' said the voice through the comms
    'Is that Winnard..I voted for you...'
    Hankeys ship lasted a matter of seconds as Winnard fired killing Hankey

Fading Star

Balthazar Prize gazed out through the viewing gallery windows of the restaurant. He was bitter, as many regrets as there were stars in the black. A miserable old Imperial, he fancied himself a refined individual who was better than most. He had made a name for himself back in the early days of CQC, but the sport was almost as washed up as he was. A stranger approached, claimed to be a fan. "Can I get an autograph Balthazar?" He was mildly surprised, but not enough so that he couldn't respond with a dignified; "That's Sir Prize to you, peasant."

BluWolve's drabble has been added to the poll ... thank you to whichever Moderator did that.

Title: Perish the thought
    Author: Fbooks

I’m cold. I didn’t intend to stowaway but when the chance to get off-world and go to Colonia comes along, you take it.

Damn freight crates are a nightmare. Life support’s one thing but they weren’t exactly built for comfort. And what the bloody hell was that crashing earlier? I almost broke my neck!

Seems calm now, though I swear it’s getting colder. Wonder how far to go now?

News Report: Following a surprise attack on a convoy heading to Colonia, 342 tons of live cattle were lost to the void when a type-9 exploded near Lave Station earlier today...

Updated Poll and Post with latest entries

Fixed missing entries. #BlamePsykokow

I'm sure psykokow will come up with a suitable excuse

Originally Posted by Kerrash View Post (Source)
    Fixed missing entries. #BlamePsykokow
    Listen Kerrash, we blame psykokow for everything m8, just normal that his computer messes up, BUY another one Kow

oi.Where's my drabble?

Title: “Welcome Home to Simoof the Greatest explorer EVER”
    By Fletch – Aged 7 and
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Simoof was determined to do the largest data drop EVER!
    He had done the four corners of the galaxy. Like a Saint Andrews flag.
    That only took him 2 months, and it wasn’t enough. So he decided to do the “great circle” all around the Milky Way.
    Six months of jump, honk, scoop. Repeated ad-infenitum.
    Alvin threw a surprise “Welcome Home” party for him at Hutton, to celebrate.
    Unfortunately, he hadn’t installed a shower unit in his Asp to improve the jump range.
    There was an exclusion zone around Moof, and Alvin’s sense of smell finally returned after 3 weeks.

oi.What's going on?Eat my posts?
    where's my drabble?

Sorry Phong. I didn't notice that it was a Drabble because it didn't have a title. Please don't shoot me <takes off sunglasses and makes puppydog eyes>

Yeah,my bad.Thanks to whoever fixed things up (poll,etc.)

Surprise! Frank won, congrats Frank.

Well done Frank.Another good one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast