Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: A way to "Sign" Suggestion threads to show support

A way to "Sign" Suggestion threads to show support

Essentially, when browsing the forum for feedback, can you see at a glance how much rep has been added to the original post to gauge how much support the idea has within the community?

If not, then I would like a means of showing support, akin to signing a petition, in suggestion threads (whether they exist in DD or the Suggestions threads, ideally speaking). It feels like much of the time, people agree without saying anything by hitting the Rep button instead, and I'm concerned that means many things are flying under Fdev radar.

This seems to be too close to "polls" that are banned on the forum.

As I see it, the best way to show support to a suggestion you like is to post in the thread, keeping in on the front page as long as possible.

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    This seems to be too close to "polls" that are banned on the forum.

As I see it, the best way to show support to a suggestion you like is to post in the thread, keeping in on the front page as long as possible.
    But that's not always readily apparent. I myself often just hit the "rep" button as it's more convenient to do so.

4. This is the last staff post in this thread. #4
    Originally Posted by V'larr View Post (Source)
    But that's not always readily apparent. I myself often just hit the "rep" button as it's more convenient to do so.
    Developers don't see what posts in suggestions forum has gained the most rep. A reply to a thread is the best approach to supporting an idea.

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    Developers don't see what posts in suggestions forum has gained the most rep. A reply to a thread is the best approach to supporting an idea.
    That's disappointing to learn. I've always gone with the idea that posts with lots of rep would stand out in some way (to FDev, not regular users), and regularly use the rep button rather than just say 'I agree' or 'good point'. In fact I often only add a post if I'm out of rep for that poster.

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    Wow, So we only get higher ranks from rep but it doesnt effect you guys looking at it. That is really disappointing.

Originally Posted by DR Grandreefer View Post (Source)
    Wow, So we only get higher ranks from rep but it doesnt effect you guys looking at it. That is really disappointing.
    Yea, so if you see a good idea, make sure and drop in with a "Neat" reply at least. Or go with Brett's favorite, gif/image responses with no other content.

I thought giving rep only affects the account of the person getting said rep. Why do you think giving rep to someone's post would give rep to the thread and make it more "visible"?

Originally Posted by AH_ImADot View Post (Source)
    I thought giving rep only affects the account of the person getting said rep. Why do you think giving rep to someone's post would give rep to the thread and make it more "visible"?
    Not the thread, just the post. A report showing posts that got a lot of rep would allow an overview of what's hot without having to read every post. otoh the mobile site doesn't use rep (or subscribed threads) so a report would only show a partial view of the community.

Originally Posted by Dbrn47 View Post (Source)
    Yea, so if you see a good idea, make sure and drop in with a "Neat" reply at least. Or go with Brett's favorite, gif/image responses with no other content.

http://pa1.narvii.com/6250/49dfa6a8c...e0e2bd6_00.gif
    I will for sure now. Even "I agree" can go a long way if rep is really ignored like this.

Originally Posted by DR Grandreefer View Post (Source)
    I will for sure now. Even "I agree" can go a long way if rep is really ignored like this.
    Well, you shouldn't ignore the rep, because it makes OP happy.
    But as far as impact of the suggestion goes, the post count of the thread is really the only way we can shout "Hey! Look, a good suggestion!" at Frontier.

As said before, it sounds a lot like a poll. To me though, it sounds a lot more like a petition, which is a lot worse.

If you like a suggestion, just say that you do. This should be enough.
    On top of that, if nobody likes your suggestion, nothing tells you that nobody at Frontier won't like it either.

don't want to spoil the fun but ... could someone link a single suggestion that has been heeded?

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    Well, you shouldn't ignore the rep, because it makes OP happy.
    But as far as impact of the suggestion goes, the post count of the thread is really the only way we can shout "Hey! Look, a good suggestion!" at Frontier.
    Agreed. This makes rep and ranks only for us users as a sign of the time we have been here however if you really want FDev to see it it needs multiple posts tacked on to really get the message across. It’s still does seem like a feature that’s not getting its full use but I can also see how having a lower rank could and would go unheard if we based FDev reading our stuff on how high our individual ranks would be.

Originally Posted by zn˘rt View Post (Source)
    don't want to spoil the fun but ... could someone link a single suggestion that has been heeded?
    Where would you like me to start.
    I do realize that they aren’t all bug reports but the ones that are are solved. I know I am not the only one like this. Use the forums. It does work.

edit: I take that back that game crashing bug came back with vengeance tonight. Multiple game crashes and none of the typical work around worked at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast