Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 59 of 59

Thread: Wow, I never knew just how truly beautiful this game was......

  1. #46
    Originally Posted by Marc_Hicks View Post (Source)
    I disagree. I think decently persistent NPC's & complex plots for missions are actually entirely possible, even with just the mechanics we currently have.

    Individual commanders can have Nemeses & Allies who are persistent....as long as the Commander is playing. Visible to the Commander & anyone who shares their instance. A similar type of "semi-persistence" could also work for mission specific entities & structures.

    As for Mission Complexity, all the tools to achieve this are already within the game. They just need to be exploited by the Devs to their fullest capacity. A ton of potential Wrinkles-voluntary or non-voluntary-that can trigger at any time....whether randomly or due to some specific in-game action (like scanning a ship, scanning an outpost or salvaging an item) could add massive complexity to existing missions. Primary Missions that can branch off into half a dozen-or more-Mission Chains......which can themselves branch into over half a dozen mission chains.....could create a mission experience which feels almost unique.
    cannot rep however you pretty much wrote down exactly what is in my head.... ultimately if FD would just let go of the reigns a little bit and let our pcs store some of the stuff pertinant to OUR story then persistence would (in my totally ignorant non coder view ) be simple.

    it would not matter if Thongor the great a hot shot pilot in a viper who i use to help me attack pirate bases or Ben hucker the long range trucker in his T9 who was constantly asking me to escort him through anarchy space to buy his vicious brew only exist in my save and no where else - unless someone else entered my instance bubble and then they would see them....... and if they die they die but if not we get some sort of personal rep progression with them.

    ok cheaters gonna cheat but should FD really cripple their own game in fear of a minority of players?.. and IF a player is caught with any form of cheated save, they are permanently account banned onto a hell mode which is forced solo and does not affect the BGS.

  2. #47
    Originally Posted by Jools View Post (Source)
    I wouldn`t get your hopes up.

    Here is a pre-horizons concept art of an icy planet:

    https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20170801133527

    And here is an actual Icy planet in game

    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/attach...6&d=1450710704

    let`s just say with elite its I`ll believe it when i see it
    Hmmmm..... icy planets also look like this right now:




    https://imgur.com/gallery/UQhqO


    I shot those about a week ago on the PS4.

  3. #48
    Yes the graphics are undeniably a great success in ED (with the sound)

  4. #49
    Originally Posted by Marc_Hicks View Post (Source)
    So, a little back-story.

    I have always loved the graphics in Elite: Dangerous, but the Video Cards & RAM I have used have always been at the low end of the Minimum Requirements for the game. However, due to graphics card issues I was having with my old Radeon R7 250.....I finally bit the bullet & bought a fairly high end NVIDIA card, as well as another 8GB of RAM......not to mention a new 24" HD Monitor.


    So I went into my graphics settings & set it to High, & launched the game. What can I say but O.M.G!!!! As beautiful as I thought the game was, I clearly didn't know the half of it.....& had no idea just how much I was missing with my low graphics settings! Ice worlds actually look like proper ICE.....& that's just for starters!

    All I can say is that it was worth every penny I spent upgrading my computer.

    I will try to post some pics tomorrow.
    Try flying over asteroid rings around a huge blue gas giant. It will take your breath away.

  5. #50
    Originally Posted by sihart25 View Post (Source)
    my 1080ti only can manage VR Low settings in station which seriously hamper any appreciation of empty space
    You have serious issues with your set up if thats all you are managing, I'm running HMD SS @ 1.75 on my 1080ti. Start a thread in the VR subforum (so as not to derail Marc's thread) and we'll get this sorted for you.

    Having said that, are you one hundred percent certain it is running cool enough? if the card gets above 80C it starts throttling back, so paradoxically I get better performance for longer play sessions by down clocking my card because of my cases poor airflow.

  6. #51
    Originally Posted by C64Fan View Post (Source)
    Hmmmm..... icy planets also look like this right now:

    https://i.imgur.com/UXVFKug.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/KBrEFir.jpg

    I shot those about a week ago on the PS4.
    I was goofing about on an ice world looking for minerals a couple of weeks ago and I can vouch that it looked like those screenshots, it did get me thinking if thats what Beyond C1 looks like then Im really looking forward to the further improvements in the C4 update. The C1 improvements have definitely restored a bit of my faith in Frontier.

  7. #52
    Originally Posted by WR3ND View Post (Source)
    Oh, just in case some of you haven't seen it yet, here's some Q4 target concept art for world surfaces...



    If that can be realized, I think some people would be justified in getting the game for it alone.
    There mere fact that FDev has shown us these pictures to let us know what they are working on, makes me confident that is in the works.
    We all know that FDv never wants to over promise.
    The mere fact that they shared those pics with us is an assurance that it is coming.

  8. #53
    Originally Posted by Marc_Hicks View Post (Source)
    I have a GTX 1050 Ti card now
    It's nice to hear that the graphic quality is high with this card

    A few pictures ?

  9. #54
    Here are a few pics. Just hope they can do justice to the experience .








  10. #55

  11. #56
    Originally Posted by C64Fan View Post (Source)
    Hmmmm..... icy planets also look like this right now:

    https://i.imgur.com/UXVFKug.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/KBrEFir.jpg
    https://imgur.com/gallery/UQhqO

    I shot those about a week ago on the PS4.
    Originally Posted by Jayridium View Post (Source)
    I was goofing about on an ice world looking for minerals a couple of weeks ago and I can vouch that it looked like those screenshots,
    I never said anything to the contrary... Apart from the beige plague that haunted this game for a year I was always quite pleased, in general, with how the planets looked like, especially when it comes to large scale / orbit view , and i have praised the devs for it on numerous occasions. Despite their overall low resolution, blurriness, general old school heithmap`y appearance, and lack of variety (we have a canyon creating algorithm, rounded mountains creating algorithm, an algorithm that creates those nice flat cut-off areas in canyons, and craters, and that`s it) they always felt pretty convincing to me.

    That should not detract us from the fact that even after recent improvements (2 years post initial release, mind you), the screen shots you have kindly provided are still a far cry from the concept art mentioned in my post or the one from post #11.

    There are no sharp edges, no layered materials, no rocky formations sticking out from beneath the ice cover as visible on the slopes on the concept arts, no sharp vertical and horizontal cracks, no signs of ice braking off and falling down creating those razor sharp cliffs, no soft deformable objects (soft snow / ice dust).
    Add to that the huge differences in texture definition (resolution difference, variety difference, colour palette difference, lack of 3d deformations like bump-maps/parallax mapping/tessellation and so on), some anisotropic filtering problems, poor lighting on the small scattered rocks (that one i actually expect to be improved by a lot in Q4) and you can see how far, in reality, we currently are from those concepts. Sure the subsurface scattering looks nice... but that's just one detail needed to make it look like the concept art

    The devil is in the detail, and those details that are missing, unfortunately require a whole plethora of various fundamentally different technologies that are both: performance heavy and very tricky to implement in a procedural way on the scale that we need for elite.

    Now, looking back at FD`s past performance I can say that very rarely, if ever, do they provide more than they have specifically told us. Usually it`s to the contrary, stuff gets cut out and target gets lowered, because development is hard and they lack resources etc. case in point: engineers, settlements, station variety, multi-crew, SRVs, off-line mode, comets and other phenomena, orrery, the whole DDF, and so on).

    I assume that you have listened to the presentation during which the concept art discussed was first provided and that you have heard that they never actually said anything about improving surface generation technology other that they are going to "improve their scatter rock system". That was it and that is all I expect them to do. This unfortunately will not suffice to make our planets look like those concept artworks.

    Even if i take into consideration that its more than 3 years past the initial launch and 2 years after Horizons, and that it`s high time for them to be working seriously on atmospheric planets, which will simply have to include erosion based deformations, material layering etc. so stuff from the concept arts, I am immediately reminded of Sandro`s words on how development got very hard, and how they are thin on resources, and the overall back-pedalling vibe I`m getting from Frontier since the launch of horizons, and this assures me in my views.

    So again, I`m happy that some of you still believe that the quality seen on those concept artworks will come to our game in 2018, but at the same time I myself don`t, and I advice others, especially the newcomers, to keep their expectations low, and expect an improved scatter rock system and not much more.

  12. #57
    Originally Posted by Jools View Post (Source)
    I never said anything to the contrary... Apart from the beige plague that haunted this game for a year I was always quite pleased, in general, with how the planets looked like, especially when it comes to large scale / orbit view , and i have praised the devs for it on numerous occasions. Despite their overall low resolution, blurriness, general old school heithmap`y appearance, and lack of variety (we have a canyon creating algorithm, rounded mountains creating algorithm, an algorithm that creates those nice flat cut-off areas in canyons, and craters, and that`s it) they always felt pretty convincing to me.

    That should not detract us from the fact that even after recent improvements (2 years post initial release, mind you), the screen shots you have kindly provided are still a far cry from the concept art mentioned in my post or the one from post #11.

    There are no sharp edges, no layered materials, no rocky formations sticking out from beneath the ice cover as visible on the slopes on the concept arts, no sharp vertical and horizontal cracks, no signs of ice braking off and falling down creating those razor sharp cliffs, no soft deformable objects (soft snow / ice dust).
    Add to that the huge differences in texture definition (resolution difference, variety difference, colour palette difference, lack of 3d deformations like bump-maps/parallax mapping/tessellation and so on), some anisotropic filtering problems, poor lighting on the small scattered rocks (that one i actually expect to be improved by a lot in Q4) and you can see how far, in reality, we currently are from those concepts. Sure the subsurface scattering looks nice... but that's just one detail needed to make it look like the concept art

    The devil is in the detail, and those details that are missing, unfortunately require a whole plethora of various fundamentally different technologies that are both: performance heavy and very tricky to implement in a procedural way on the scale that we need for elite.

    Now, looking back at FD`s past performance I can say that very rarely, if ever, do they provide more than they have specifically told us. Usually it`s to the contrary, stuff gets cut out and target gets lowered, because development is hard and they lack resources etc. case in point: engineers, settlements, station variety, multi-crew, SRVs, off-line mode, comets and other phenomena, orrery, the whole DDF, and so on).

    I assume that you have listened to the presentation during which the concept art discussed was first provided and that you have heard that they never actually said anything about improving surface generation technology other that they are going to "improve their scatter rock system". That was it and that is all I expect them to do. This unfortunately will not suffice to make our planets look like those concept artworks.

    Even if i take into consideration that its more than 3 years past the initial launch and 2 years after Horizons, and that it`s high time for them to be working seriously on atmospheric planets, which will simply have to include erosion based deformations, material layering etc. so stuff from the concept arts, I am immediately reminded of Sandro`s words on how development got very hard, and how they are thin on resources, and the overall back-pedalling vibe I`m getting from Frontier since the launch of horizons, and this assures me in my views.

    So again, I`m happy that some of you still believe that the quality seen on those concept artworks will come to our game in 2018, but at the same time I myself don`t believe and I advice others, especially the newcomers, to keep their expectations low, and expect an improved scatter rock system and not much more.
    Good post, I agree pretty much completely.

    That said though I am pretty happy with the planets as they are today in Elite as of 3.0. Space Engine is still the better galaxy simulator but Elite is an actual game so I accept that there are tradeoffs between the two. I wish Frontier would devote more resources towards improving the Stellar Forge, as I feel it is a huge ace up their sleeve which they mostly neglect. If Elite had their game combined with a procedural simulated galaxy that put Space Engine to shame it would be an incredible marketing tool for them. Far more of a draw than Power Play, far more than CQC was, even more than Multicrew ended up being. In my opinion of course.

    I’m hoping the Q4 update does more than just improve the lighting and scatter rock routines, but I’m not expecting much more than that based on what the devs have said so far. Hoping for pleasantly surprised, but expecting to be mildly pleased.

  13. #58
    OP. Next stop, VR. An immersive new world awaits you...

  14. #59
    Originally Posted by zarrazee View Post (Source)
    OP. Next stop, VR. An immersive new world awaits you...
    One of these days I'll be stumbling over myself in the living room and my daughter and wife will be wondering what the hell I'm up to. For now though, must be content with the big screen and the surround hi-fi.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234