Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wow, I never knew just how truly beautiful this game was......

It does make nice movies and screen shots. It's just a shame that's what the game does best

Originally Posted by Jools View Post (Source)
    and what i posted was a specific art goal to try and reach before horizons launch

I really wish i had any faith left... but sooo many years... and still no orrery... although over 3 years ago they were supposedly almost done with it... the only issue seemed to be the comet`s (https://i.imgflip.com/26axfw.jpg) tail facing the wrong way

again... I`m happy for you and your enthusiasm but I`ll believe it when its actually here... too much back-pedalling over the years
    I don't think they're in the same ballpark in terms of concept art and the way they were presented. I'm not disagreeing with your premise, just how Frontier presented these images.

my 1080ti only can manage VR Low settings in station which seriously hamper any appreciation of empty space

I suspect that they've been digging around in the Cobra Engine to make some improvements for Q4.

I run in on ultra at 220 FPS and looks amazing. Itís hard to rival ED on graphics alone.

A year ago I thought about upgrading my 980 for a 1080. But I didn't quite have the money and I figure, as usual these cards will go down in price.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha! Sniff...

At least I got an Ultrawide monitor and more memory. But thanks to crypto-miners any graphics card update is probably a long way off. And I doubt NVIDIA has much motivation to produce their next gen cards for a while.

Still, looks good with the 980, but I can't get the supersampling as high as I'd like. If any game cried out for better anti-aliasing, it's ED. I hope they are looking in to this for later this year.

Originally Posted by RevLogos View Post (Source)
    And I doubt NVIDIA has much motivation to produce their next gen cards for a while.
    Volta is already here.

Titan V.

Yeah Marc, I went from an absolute potato to a gaming system that plays the entire game in ultra. It's gorgeous.

Originally Posted by Jools View Post (Source)
    and what i posted was a specific art goal to try and reach before horizons launch

I really wish i had any faith left... but sooo many years... and still no orrery...
    OH MY GOD! NO ORRERY!

NO FLIPPING ORRERY!!!!

Sorry, Jools, I just get really tired of hearing about that damn system map.

Originally Posted by vindelanos View Post (Source)
    OH MY GOD! NO ORRERY!

NO FLIPPING ORRERY!!!!

Sorry, Jools, I just get really tired of hearing about that damn system map.
    Eh, I'm with Jools on this one, the Orrery Map would be super useful for me too.

Back on topic though, beautiful game!!!

Originally Posted by Arthur Shappey View Post (Source)
    I strongly suspect they almost have to rely on simple, repetitive "grindy"-like mechanics.

Why?

Because to make complex plots for missions, they need either to make it a proper solo game, or a proper on-line game. Only with that can you start to have the necessary persistence that is required for NPCs and other missions specific entities that would make more compelling - story related missions really have some depth. Without it it, expensive service resource is not economically viable for a non-subscription game.

Personally I wish FDev would start up a new galaxy that was on-line only and subscription based - to do precisely this sort of thing. But I doubt they have the confidence in the commercials of whether they could bring enough of the community with them.
    I disagree. I think decently persistent NPC's & complex plots for missions are actually entirely possible, even with just the mechanics we currently have.

Individual commanders can have Nemeses & Allies who are persistent....as long as the Commander is playing. Visible to the Commander & anyone who shares their instance. A similar type of "semi-persistence" could also work for mission specific entities & structures.

As for Mission Complexity, all the tools to achieve this are already within the game. They just need to be exploited by the Devs to their fullest capacity. A ton of potential Wrinkles-voluntary or non-voluntary-that can trigger at any time....whether randomly or due to some specific in-game action (like scanning a ship, scanning an outpost or salvaging an item) could add massive complexity to existing missions. Primary Missions that can branch off into half a dozen-or more-Mission Chains......which can themselves branch into over half a dozen mission chains.....could create a mission experience which feels almost unique.

Originally Posted by Mengy View Post (Source)
    I have a GTX970Ti and it lets me run Elite at full graphic settings, but I can only ramp supersampling up to 1.5X with it. When I go higher than that I get choppy frame rates and stuttering. It does look better, but itís just not smooth enough for my liking.

Iím very unsure about the Q4 update. Iím positive the graphical improvements will be fantastic, but itís the game design changes that worry me, particularly regarding the exploration revamp. Frontier seems to always fall back onto grind mechanics as content, over and over again. Even in the engineer revamp they implemented new mechanics whose sole purpose is to preserve the grindy nature of the feature. Look at the new tech brokers, to unlock the new modules requires a huge repetitive grind effort ad nauseum. I have no problem with high degrees of effort, itís the highly repetitive efforts I do not enjoy. Seeing how 3.0 did not depart from the grind as gameplay focus, I worry that 3.3 wonít either.

Still, I have a high degree of faith that the graphic improvements for Q4 will be great.
    Oh well, I have more faith than you . Despite some people's complaints, I felt that 3.0 made some fantastic improvements to the game. I find Engineers much more intuitive & fun to work with than pre-3.0, but still feel that more improvements can be made. I love the overall direction of C&P.....but just now want them to toughen things up even more, by having repeated criminal acts racking up much bigger bounties, by making Notoriety last longer (& have more game-play functions) & by making Interstellar Bounties be non-cleanable, except by being brought to book.

So, based on that, I am quite confident that the rest of this Season will significantly improve my game-play experience. Might even make me take up Exploring!

I can run it on ultra with the 3gb 1060, but havenít turned up SS much as the card starts to chug a bit. So Iíll try and upgrade once prices of GPUís come back to the realm of sanity. The only other thing o gotta figure out is why my 43Ē 4K display decides to switch over to 1080 the second I cue up Elite. Itís the only program it does that with.

Originally Posted by Hellakitty View Post (Source)
    Volta is already here.

Titan V.
    Only an idiot would buy Volta for gaming.

Originally Posted by Good Death View Post (Source)
    Only an idiot would buy Volta for gaming.
    Not the point.

Someone said Nvidia doesn't have the motivation to produce next gen cards. I was merely pointing out that the next gen cards are already here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast