Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: RIP Professor Stephen Hawking

A great Man, with a Great Mind. I hope that Professor Brain Cox can fill the void that is lost from his passing. RIP Spaceboy.

You were Davids Bowie,s Space Oddity.

Originally Posted by oz.grant View Post (Source)
    A great Man, with a Great Mind. I hope that Professor Brain Cox can fill the void that is lost from his passing. RIP Spaceboy.

You were Davids Bowie,s Space Oddity.
    Brian Cox is even more annoying than that deGrasse Tyson attention-seeker.

There are some brilliant minds in the cosmology field but those two are just popularisers, not visionaries.

Yep, Cheers for that.

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)

There are some brilliant minds in the cosmology field but those two are just popularisers, not visionaries.
    Personally I prefer Sean Caroll as a science communicator in this area.

Originally Posted by Para Handy View Post (Source)

I do understand your point and there's no doubt that Hawking was pretty much unique in being both. (OK you'd have to say Einstein as well but considering they're probably the two most recognisable scientists, let alone theoretical physicists, in human history it's hardly commonplace.)

Without popularisers though, how many people would even be aware of much of the work of the world's truly great minds? You also need to bear in mind that popularisers are directly and indirectly responsible for funding being channeled to research and without funding, none of it happens.

Full disclosure: I was at school with Brian Cox. He wasn't a mate or anything though (he was three years above me) and it's not why I commented on this thread.

Originally Posted by Red Anders View Post (Source)
    I do understand your point and there's no doubt that Hawking was pretty much unique in being both. (OK you'd have to say Einstein as well but considering they're probably the two most recognisable scientists, let alone theoretical physicists, in human history it's hardly commonplace.)

Without popularisers though, how many people would even be aware of much of the work of the world's truly great minds? You also need to bear in mind that popularisers are directly and indirectly responsible for funding being channeled to research and without funding, none of it happens.

Full disclosure: I was at school with Brian Cox. He wasn't a mate or anything though (he was three years above me) and it's not why I commented on this thread.
    I don't object to people informing the public, although to my taste both Cox and Tyson "grate" - my remark was in response to someone suggesting that Cox could "fill the void" left by the passing of Hawking which is just silly.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456