Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RIP Professor Stephen Hawking

The world just got a little less intelligent. Genius is a word often overused, but wholly applicable in this case.

This is sad news, a great mind that gave us so much and asked for nothing in return.

"We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful."

RIP Stephen Hawking.

RIP Stephen Hawkin,

This game (Elite Dangerous) owes so much to this man, imagine where we would be without his work! No FSL for sure, we'd probably still be on our way to Altair via traditional physics!!!!

A memorial station MUST be in the works, just must be. Leonard Nemoy got one, Carrie Fisher should get one, and Stephen Hawkins DEFINATELY needs one. , lets just rename all 3 earth oribals (Abraham Lincoln,Li Qing Jao & M.Gorbachev ) Stephen Hawkings 1, 2 & 3!!!! I'll miss Abraham Lincoln fromthe 1984 game but Sir Hawkins seems a fitting and most worthy replacement!!!!

Edit : Carrie Fisher DID get something, of course, Fishers Rest (Megaship, Aldebaran system, 2,521 ls out)

He was a comic genius.

That one about the bloke who invented cats eyes and if the cat had've been walking the other way he'd've invented the pencil sharpener - brilliant

Born on Galileo's birthday. Held Newton's post at Cambridge. Died on Einstein's birthday.

Gone to play poker with Newton and Einstein (maybe Galileo can take Data's seat).

It makes me sad so many people get his title and name wrong. Professor Stephen Hawking. Not Doctor. Not Steven. Not Hawkins.

"For a few minutes standing in the darkness, I realised I could see my hand quite clearly. Something I’d noticed that I could not do, on previous nights. So I looked up, expecting to see the glow of the full moon. But the moon was no where in sight. Instead, there was a long glowing cloud, directly overhead. The Romans called it the ‘via galactica’, the road of milk. Today, we call it the Milky Way.

Seeing is only far from it. That night, years ago, I knew a small part of what’s out there … the kinds of things, the scale of things, the age of things. The violence and destruction … appalling energy … hopeless gravity … and the despair of distance. But I feel safe. Because I know my world is protected by the very distance that others fear. It’s like the universe screams in your face: “Do you know what I am, how grand I am, how old I am? Can you even comprehend what I am? What are you … compared to me?” And when you know enough Science, you can just smile and look at the universe and reply: ‘Dude, I am you.’

When I looked at the galaxy that night, I knew that the faintest twinkle of starlight was a real connection, between my comprehending eye, along a narrow beam of light, to the surface of another sun. The photons my eyes detect, the light I see, the energy in which my nerves interact … came from that star! I thought I could never touch it, yet something from it, crosses the void … and touches me. I might never have known. My eyes … saw only a tiny point of light, but my mind saw so much more. I see the invisible bursts of gamma radiation from giant stars, converted into pure energy by their own mass. The flashes that flash, from the far side of the universe, long before Earth had even formed. I can see the invisible microwave glow of the background radiation left over from the Big Bang.

I see stars drifting aimlessly … at hundreds of kilometres per second, and the space-time curving around them. I can even see millions of years into the future. That blue twinkle will blow up one day … sterilising any, nearby solar systems, in an apocalypse that makes the wrath of human gods seem pitiful, by comparison. Yet it was from such destruction … that I was formed. Stars must die … so that I can live. I … stepped out the supernova … and so did you."

Chucking in my 2 CR that Stephen hawking should be immortalised within ED in some way if he isn't already. FD should make it so.

A great man, who overcame staggering odds to become a leading light in the world of mathematics and physics.

Funny, self deprecating, humble and a bit naughty.

He also possessed that truly great but undervalued skill of being able to explain very complex theories and concepts to layman and most importantly, make it interesting.

R.I.P.

Originally Posted by Barticus View Post (Source)
    Born on Galileo's birthday. Held Newton's post at Cambridge. Died on Einstein's birthday.

Gone to play poker with Newton and Einstein (maybe Galileo can take Data's seat).

It makes me sad so many people get his title and name wrong. Professor Stephen Hawking. Not Doctor. Not Steven. Not Hawkins.
    This is the third thread I have seen today where the OP got it wrong (let alone other contributors).

Regardless, this is a huge loss for all humanity.

RIP, Prof. Hawking.

Z...

Died on Pi Day - March 14th

I'm going to rename all my ships as a tribute. It's not much, but I can't do more.

So, have we decided where we're going to pay respects tonight?

I think I'll head to Hawking's Reach and jettison a few tonnes of tea in his honor, Dr. Hawking's favorite drink.

also Jim Bowen tribute now needed as well

"You get nothing for a pair..." ....."...not in this game!"

Originally Posted by Rob At Work View Post (Source)
    "You get nothing for a pair..." ....."...not in this game!"
    That's a Brucie quote from Play Your Cards Right. The Jim Bowen one you are thinking of is...
    "Nothing in this game for two in a bed"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast