Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 26 of 26

Thread: Ryzen chips part of AMD security flaw

  1. #16
    Hmm i wonder if their disclosure about their motives in some way protects them from legal problems? Still i agree 100% these are not white hat chaps doing it the right way, and i hope there is indeed some fallout for them (AMD shares not really moving much might be some of the 'karma' getting back at them!).

  2. #17
    In ways I hope that they had made a significant short sell - and lose out on the gamble (even if there are no other repercussions on them).

    Spotted this: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12536...-with-cts-labs - interesting reading.

  3. #18
    Even if there is a security flaw, what are the real chances someone is going to exploit it, on your PC?

    If someone tried to hack my PC, I have a natural defence anyway...

    My internet.

    It'll likely just cut them off. And if they did try to upload anything important, it'd take them a week.

    Or my PC will randomly lock up, rendering the attack useless. Lol

  4. #19

  5. #20
    Originally Posted by CMDR_Cosmicspacehead View Post (Source)
    Even if there is a security flaw, what are the real chances someone is going to exploit it, on your PC?
    People are still running around doing dumb crap like arbitrarily running stuff as admin and advising others to do so, so I'd say it's pretty easy to exploit on consumer systems It's technically hard, but luckily human stupidity keeps those vectors open.

  6. #21
    Thread topic heading should be redacted

  7. #22
    Originally Posted by Vistitor010100 View Post (Source)
    Thread topic heading should be redacted
    Why?

  8. #23
    mis·lead·ing
    [ˌmisˈlēdiNG]

    ADJECTIVE
    giving the wrong idea or impression.
    "your article contains a number of misleading statements"
    synonyms: deceptive · confusing · deceiving · equivocal · ambiguous · fallacious · [more]

  9. #24
    Originally Posted by Vistitor010100 View Post (Source)
    mis·lead·ing
    [ˌmisˈlēdiNG]

    ADJECTIVE
    giving the wrong idea or impression.
    "your article contains a number of misleading statements"
    synonyms: deceptive · confusing · deceiving · equivocal · ambiguous · fallacious · [more]
    But the security flaws were genuine, AMD have already stated they're working on updates to address them.

  10. #25
    The vulnerabilities require administrative access to be exploited (don't run[default] as Admin).
    The hardware backdoor is in the ASmedia chips, also the notice to AMD for a fix was 24h (more commonly is 3 months).

    This podcast Steve Gibson is talking about it, start at 13:45 https://twit.tv/shows/security-now/e...utostart=false

  11. #26
    Originally Posted by arneo View Post (Source)
    The hardware backdoor is in the ASmedia chips, also the notice to AMD for a fix was 24h (more commonly is 3 months).
    Dell was pushing an "important" update to ASMedia USB controller drivers recently, I wonder why

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12