Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Automation and Scripting - An investigation into further abuses of BGS and Powerplay

Originally Posted by IamNickMan View Post (Source)
    That's a lot to take in! Great work!
    Did you really have to make us scroll through the long OP again?

Re: OP, kudos for you guys doing the investigative work. To me, botting is a lot more serious than combat logging and soft bans seems like a joke, especially when these accounts were made solely or this purpose. While they may not want to refund them, it certainly doesn't send a strong message to potential botters that the worst that could happen is a temp ban. Fdev, show us you have cajones! Take action!

Originally Posted by biohazard15 View Post (Source)
    Some powerplayers take this game too seriously to be taken seriously.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAA1xgTTw9w
    It may not matter to you. That's fine, I respect that.

It matters to some, maybe not most but a good proportion.

Mahon has been advocating for a changes to PP that actually makes our position more precarious than it is now. The powerplay mechanics have reached their natural equilibrium and needs an overhaul. That doesn't mean you can cheat the current grind mechanics.

3. This is the last staff post in this thread. #18
    Could you email community@frontier.co.uk with all of the commander names that you suspect of botting/cheating/economy manipulation? Will follow up with customer support and our anti cheat team on this. Thanks!

Originally Posted by CMDR Tom D View Post (Source)
    It may not matter to you. That's fine, I respect that.

It matters to some, maybe not most but a good proportion.

Mahon has been advocating for a changes to PP that actually makes our position more precarious than it is now. The powerplay mechanics have reached their natural equilibrium and needs an overhaul. That doesn't mean you can cheat the current grind mechanics.
    Put on shelves with CQC, Mission board, exploration,...

Originally Posted by CMDR Tom D View Post (Source)
    Mahon has been advocating for a changes to PP that actually makes our position more precarious than it is now.
    JPG and several strings of code can't advocate for anything.

Ah forget about that. FD got no time for this. They┤re looking into the reputation bug right now, far more important.

Originally Posted by Eloy View Post (Source)
    Ah forget about that. FD got no time for this. They┤re looking into the reputation bug right now, far more important.
    which bug ? Did i miss it ?

Originally Posted by Der Zeitgeist View Post (Source)
    Interesting read, amazing that people would go to such lengths (spending actual money for accounts) to influence a game this way.

Just one thing to help me understand: I don't get why those bots would even fly in open, making it easier to spot them, why is that, why not just keep them in solo?
    I was wondering just this. Who prepares a sophisticated bot then leave it in sunlight where everyone can see it?

This is highly dissapointing, but not surprising. There are always those who will seek to gain an advantage any way possible or to cause problems for others.

The periodic sale of the game has its pluses and minuses, and i don't think FD need to stop doing this. But i do think they need to find a way to come down on the owners of these accounts harder, and if possible, be able to detect them quicker.

There are a number of areas in the game where FD's approach to things is probably too soft. If you look at many online games its a case of ban first, ask questions later. Not sure that is the right apporach either, but there must be a middle ground.

EDIT: Just a thought, imagine how much worse things could be if FD allowed credit transfers between players...

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    Could you email community@frontier.co.uk with all of the commander names that you suspect of botting/cheating/economy manipulation? Will follow up with customer support and our anti cheat team on this. Thanks!
    An email is on its way to you.

Originally Posted by Agony_Aunt View Post (Source)
    This is highly dissapointing, but not surprising. There are always those who will seek to gain an advantage any way possible or to cause problems for others.

The periodic sale of the game has its pluses and minuses, and i don't think FD need to stop doing this. But i do think they need to find a way to come down on the owners of these accounts harder, and if possible, be able to detect them quicker.

There are a number of areas in the game where FD's approach to things is probably too soft. If you look at many online games its a case of ban first, ask questions later. Not sure that is the right apporach either, but there must be a middle ground.

EDIT: Just a thought, imagine how much worse things could be if FD allowed credit transfers between players...

FDEV should be handing out permanent shadow bans for this kind of thing, if they don't want to go full on whack-a-cheat (which most of us would support I think).

That way the little tykes can't screech they can no longer play the game, or demand refunds or whatever, but they can't touch the BGS.

Originally Posted by Stigbob View Post (Source)
    FDEV should be handing out permanent shadow bans for this kind of thing, if they don't want to go full on whack-a-cheat (which most of us would support I think).

That way the little tykes can't screech they can no longer play the game, or demand refunds or whatever, but they can't touch the BGS.
    how would a shadow ban prevent them touching the bgs? that's as much as leaving them doing their thing on solo/pg unmolested.

actually, frontier should ban them from solo/pg, i.e. ban them to open, so cmdrs could deal with them!

Originally Posted by Stigbob View Post (Source)

Indeed. Just perma-ban them like pretty much every other company would do.

Originally Posted by zn˘rt View Post (Source)
    how would a shadow ban prevent them touching the bgs? that's as much as leaving them doing their thing on solo/pg unmolested.

actually, frontier should ban them from solo/pg, i.e. ban them to open, so cmdrs could deal with them!
    I thought people in shadowban didnt contribute to the bgs?

Originally Posted by biohazard15 View Post (Source)
    You may as well ask FD to stop selling the game.

Or shut down the servers. Preferably with Mahon at #1, so you can go down undefeated.

Some powerplayers take this game too seriously to be taken seriously. One PP faction uses bots, and other PP faction reports them to FD? Let me quote the great Peter Griffin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAA1xgTTw9w
    As a non-PP, non-BGS player, I care!
    I don't want bots and cheating in the game, whether it directly affects me or not.

Help! Mah indirect PVP is being griefed.

Page 2 of 62 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast