Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9121314151619 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Hot Ships and Bounties

1. This is the last staff post in this thread. #196
    Lead Designer- Elite: Dangerous Frontier Employee
    Hello Commanders!

I will be trawling through this thread with a fine-toothed comb, but first there's something I'd like to run by you. I note that many folk are not pleased by the prospect of bounties being payable at security contact, with the rationale being that there are a number of crimes that, whilst not as bad as murder, feel too serious to allow effectively turning them into a fine.

One proposal to tackle this we are mulling over is the concept of "handing yourself in".

You would be able to hand yourself in at any security contact where you were wanted (so you would have access to them even when you had a bounty).

When you handed yourself in you would be deported to the nearest detention centre where you would be forced to pay off the bounty for the current jurisdiction.

If you had a superpower bounty associated with that jurisdiction you would have to pay off it off as well as all bounties for factions aligned with the superpower.

You would not be able to hand yourself in whilst you had notoriety greater than 0.

In effect, this would be very similar to using Interstellar Factors. Both routes require you to pay your legal costs and have a facet of enforced movement (you have to travel to Interstellar Factors/you are deported to a detention centre).

Apologies if this or something like it has already been discussed in this thread.

We quite like this idea. Your thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Turning yourself on the Colonia connection highway would be great, you'd get to skip thousands of light years of travel if you did it in the right system and would prevent the expensive costs of rebuy

Originally Posted by Sandro Sammarco View Post (Source)
    Hello Commanders!

I will be trawling through this thread with a fine-toothed comb, but first there's something I'd like to run by you. I note that many folk are not pleased by the prospect of bounties being payable at security contact, with the rationale being that there are a number of crimes that, whilst not as bad as murder, feel too serious to allow effectively turning them into a fine.

One proposal to tackle this we are mulling over is the concept of "handing yourself in".

You would be able to hand yourself in at any security contact where you were wanted (so you would have access to them even when you had a bounty).

When you handed yourself in you would be deported to the nearest detention centre where you would be forced to pay off the bounty for the current jurisdiction.

If you had a superpower bounty associated with that jurisdiction you would have to pay off it off as well as all bounties for factions aligned with the superpower.

You would not be able to hand yourself in whilst you had notoriety greater than 0.

In effect, this would be very similar to using Interstellar Factors. Both routes require you to pay your legal costs and have a facet of enforced movement (you have to travel to Interstellar Factors/you are deported to a detention centre).

Apologies if this or something like it has already been discussed in this thread.

I heard someone on a podcast (Lave Radio or Guard Frequency?) talking about the idea of handing youself in - I like it! What was also mentioned was that when the cops say something like "power down your engines and submit to a scan" (I'm not sure when exactly that happens in the game), it would be neat if you could actually do as they ask (power down the engines or raise a "white flag" by some other means) - effectively another way of turning yourself in. So you're on the run, they catch you and it's a way of saying "OK officer, it's a fair cop, I'll come quietly".

I like it. I think people will small bounties will still find this annoying but this is nice midway.

I guess biggest annoyances are hard to nail friendly fire with more powerful weapons (I doubt you can do much about that) and clunging of smaller ships against big ship hulls. That might be improved though (SJA, hi)

Hello Commanders!

I quite like this idea. To have it tie into my previous comment regarding reputation playing a role:

If you are allied with the jurisdiction that issued the bounty (maybe even friendly) and hand yourself in, you don't respawn at a detention center. Instead you lose your reputation with the respective faction back down to cordial/neutral. If you are only cordial or lower you'd then respawn at a detention center, however not lose any reputation.

Additionally/Alternatively:

A chance to bribe the security officer would be neat. That could be something like this:
    • Success: no reputation loss and no respawn at a detention center
      Failure: double the bounty plus a respawn at a detention center and reputation loss

Hello Commanders!

I don't see any downsides to this idea. It makes it much more intuitive to get rid of a bounty: just go where it says you're wanted and turn yourself in. Or, if you're too far away, you can do the leg-work and hunt down an Interstellar Factor. Either way, you have to pay the price. I like it.

Hello Commanders!

Honestly Sandro, if you hadn't apologised in case the idea had already been discussed, I would have started thinking you took hold of my idea for an intermediate GTA busted-style "arrest" step - that takes you out of commission without the costly ship destruction - for lesser crimes like accidental friendly fire assault, and tweaked it a bit. But hey ho.

Anyway, suffice to say, I really like this idea.

However, it still feels like you're shoehorning. if you had an NPC driven arrest state, then turning yourself in as well would give a fuller experience by giving more options.

So at the scene of the (lesser) crime, the flow will be:
    Accident - Warning - Bounty - Arrest - Resist - Security Attack.

Then if you get away you can either remain at large until your ship gets destroyed, or you can avoid a costly rebuy by turning yourself in at the Starport security contact.

Also to avoid Colonia highway exploits, put some of the deep space detention centres to good use - the Eagle Nebula one springs to mind particularly.

Sandro, the "handing yourself in" idea does get around a lot of problems. Two questions:

1) Could it also be possible to hand yourself in whilst in space:
    a) by being interdicted by authorities.
    b) by using the comms tab to talk to a authority ship whilst in Nav Beacon / Res Site etc.

2) What is the specific reason to not allow players above 0 notority to use this feature?
    If you have high notority and hand yourself in, then the authorities could "impound" your ship (i.e. send you to the rebuy screen).

Handing yourself in sounds great. It's simple, intuitive, and easy. It also provides a consequence for minor crimes (though not an over-the top one).

The handing yourself in idea, does go some way towards mitigating the faff of finding an IF. BUT it adds just another set of rules and conditions to an already complicated (to the newcomer) system.

I seriously can’t see what’s wrong with ye olde clean, offender, fugitive mechanic

Do a single non murder bad thing and you get offender status and can pay off the fine at a station

Do multiple bad non murder things and after a warning and you do it again. You get a fugitive status and then fall into needing to go into an IS to get it clean.

What’s needed is to simplify and inform. Not complicate and penalise.

I think the ideal way to get arrested by the Security Ships onsite or have yourself over to them, would be to either throttle to zero or disable thrusters, and retract hardpoints. Maybe throw in deactivating your shield for good measure.

Hello Commanders!

That's not a bad idea, Sandro. I fully support this.

Sorry if this has been brought up but,

So I do not know if this was a bug, or if the system was working correctly. Last night I was playing a mission to assassinate a pirate ship, went to the location, killed the pirate, got tagged for murder. Cops killed me.

In the turn of events lost my python and had to pay 7 million for a 300k something mission. It definitely doesn't want me to do those missions anymore, which stinks because pirate hunting are some of the most fun for me.

This seems redundant to interstellar factors if you still need 0 notoriety to use it. We need an alternative that doesn't force players to waste their time flying afk for hours.

Got notoriety for the first time recently. Oddly was from a Terrorist assassination mission where they spawned as clean even though they were actively operating as a terrorist in the system I'm in.

Waiting off the notoriety is not a great mechanic. I was going to refit my ship, but couldn't until I just parked afk for two hours before I could pay off the bounty at IF. AFK waiting is not good gameplay. If we're turning ourselves in, we should be able to do it regardless of our notoriety. Perhaps doing so should not clear your notoriety so the other effects it brings are not lost, but at least this prevents the "gameplay" of just sitting AFK.

And as Obsidian Ant mentioned, please let us turn ourselves over in space as well! Though I understand if this is a feature saved for later.

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9121314151619 ... LastLast