Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Planetary Circumnavigation - Wilson Edition

Utter, complete...and inspired...madness!

Originally Posted by Bomba Luigi View Post (Source)
    So, thank you all for your kind words and thanks for the entry Alec, and yes I haven't started yet. Wasn't sure when I can start but I know it will be tomorrow, got already on Wilson today but no driving around just getting ready to start. And getting rid of the Ship, anybody who likes explosions can watch it here:
    https://youtu.be/FyzGnM4Out8

Feels good being stuck in a srv again
    You know what ... there's something really quite inspiring about that, I may have to copy the gesture if I ever do another circumnavigation of my own.

Just please don't make it a pre-requisite for membership in the Planetary Circumnavigation Club; I don't think I'd have the courage to re-join.

Day 1

I'm really not sure if anybody should take the things I do as Inspiration

As I have started now lets get to it, first of all some stats I start with:
    3502 hours and 37min played (gosh, don't I have anything else to do?!)
    8.90Mm driven so far (It will be as exact as it can be with Mm ^^ )
    Starting Coordinates: -17.12/156.77

And I forgott to take a picture of the planetary map with my marker on it here, sorry about that! I try to not forgett it again in the Future.

As I started the first thing to mention is that it is night but the Galacitc Core lights the place up like a Christmastree. And for once I don't mind it since the first thing I have to do is crossing the Canyon and some lighnting to see better is very much welcome here
    The evil galactic core who does good for once

Looking to the other side where I have to go

It goes quite a bit down, you can see a crater down there right at the ridge thats where I aim for

So lets pray and Jump!

Once down there I have to go ahead and find a place where I can go up on the other Side, the Area there varies from nice and flatt to spikey and steep but its a relative short way so it wasn't too much trouble
    At the Edge of the crater seen above, it goes down a little bit more from there to a nice flat area

Then I have to go across those spikey bits, looks simple enough from a distance but its steeper then I tought at first

Hanging around there, jumping around and wiggling and waggling

Until I finaly make it over there to get to much nicer area again, with a hilclimb ahead

Now its all about driving up the ridge while being careful to not try and jump too much since it would easy to overshoot and fall down somewhere, we don't want that!
    Steady upwards

A better look from the top, jumping up and overshooting I could have fallen down to my left

And while going up I also got some nice views of the Canyon where I got stuck in almost 2 years ago

And eventually I made it to the top!

Having made it to the top of the ridge on the other side things got a lot less complicated, but now I didn't like the Galactic core anymore. Its worst kind of lighnting when you want a nice looking place
    Its a bit bland, isn't it?

And I came across a crashed beacon

But I didn't have much more time left, majority of it was used to cross the canyon. For now I stopped at -16.56/151.93

And weirdly enough I had a look at my stats, my distance traveld in the SRV stats got up to 8.97Mm but my time played didn't go up even a minute

Really impressive mountains (and to compare how different they look in different planets). Great pics and good to read your progress.

Never actually been out to planet Wilson (although I might come and join you for tiny bits of this journey ... if you're not too terrified of the SRV multi-player instance damage multiplier thing). I have to say, for a circumnavigation, it looks kinda brutal. Hope you've packed plenty of crackers 'cos this might take some time?

Day 2

Everybody is welcome here, I got a 20% bonus SRV protection from sacrifcing a Ship to Wilson (I'm sure thats how it works!). And yes it might take a while, in parts because of the distance to travel but also because I'm not a racer. I'm more the Slow and Steady type

Today I had a lot of time play so I could make good progress. Starting it was still night but the galactic Core being gone and some nebula acting as waymarkers
    North America Nebula and Pelican Nebual left below the galaxy (Andromeda I blelive) and on the right Sadr Region being allignt with heading 270 I have to go

Elswhere Barnards Loop and others hang around

But I have to admit that the combination of night in Game and the morning sunshine coming into the house in a annoying way (as usual) made it times hard to see whats in front of me. But it wasn't too much of problem as it was a smooth ride to Waypoint 2
    Shooting some Rocks

Finding some wreckege

Being annoyd by some Rocks (they are EVERYWHERE)

And while it was a smooth ride there can still be a suprising amount of ups and downs on a ridge

And there it was of course time for a fun little base jump

After that I stopped for a couple hours and when coming back was delighted to see that the sunrise is right ahead of me

And I didn't have to drive long to make it into the sunlight

Making my way towards the next waypoint, but I'm starting to become doubts if destroying my Ship really was a good Idea...
    Oh god no, a whole bunch of stranded People. I can feel with them but without a ship I can't rescue them... ah well...

I hope they will be alight, lets just keep driving. Its really nice here!

Oh... oh... more stranded people, I am soooo sorry

They will be allright, I'm sure, lets just keep driving

Uh... destroyed SRV. And there is one escape pod too...

I'm really sorry, wish you the best!

Had another break and when I came back it was proper day on Wilson, the mist covering up the place making for a lovley atmosphere on my drive forward
    The Ridge looks very nice at this time of day

Further ahead I could see where the ridge was starting to end, some last bumps before it flattens out on the Ground

And there was a lot of driving...

... Jumping...

... and a bit of climbing

And that was my progress for Day 2, currently at -16.44/119.45

Looks like I'm about halfway between Point 2 and 3, should make it to the canyon at point 3 tomorrow if all goes well.

Some really good sights there.

There is nothing better than driving into daylight

btw how many km was your day 2?

Originally Posted by Kris View Post (Source)
    There is nothing better than driving into daylight

btw how many km was your day 2?
    Oh right, forgott about that. I did go from 8.97Mm to 9.32Mm which should be somwhere around 350km.

Day 3

Starting off today it was day but the Star was hanging low getting ready to set down. Aside from the very first bit where I had to cross the Canyon the way on this Journey so far had been very favourable for a SRV.
    First thing I saw starting today

You really need the shadows to tell which one of those dots in the sky the star of this system is :D

As a side note I do come across quite a lot metallic meteroite, managed to already fully stock up on Cadmium and Ruthenium. Might be useful one day

But everything has to change one day, the Terrain is starting to get rougher

Then I had a break of a few hours, coming back it was night time
    The Galactic Core does look pretty big

Smoke Signals!

You don't need that anymore so I will take it. I'm sure I find a use for it...

Its getting more and more rough but there is some nice geographie around here!

I'm starting to get pretty sure I'm already in the Canyon even when it was still a long way to go to the marked Coordiantes I picked. I guess picking a spot in the Ship from Glide it looked like the beginning from there, but in the SRV you get a much more sophisticated feel for distance
    I tried to keep the speed going while hopping from higher ground to higher ground, which is why I for many parts took screenshots on board while flying about

Its a lot of fun making way through here, even when its not always quite working out. But it is a bit annoyng when you miss the ground you aimed for by just a little bit :D

It looks great from high up

But also when you happen to be down on the Ground

Eventually I made my way to the little Plateau I picked as waypoint and did go to rest for the day
    The way Ahead

Planet position

Current position is -16.49/93.85, Distance travelled is 0.29Mm

First pic of day 3 has very atmospheric feel. Like driving on a grassland.

Off to a good start I see Bomba! Great pics.

Day 4

Yeserday I was able to drive in daylight again, but the Canyon is now starting to get really sersious
    Ah, its a beautiful Day!

Hopping around between Plateaus, they starting to get really high and feeling more like mountains at times

And more then once they prove a bit to high to Jump over and I end up in not so good places to end up in

But jumping from high point to high point is so much fun, makes the game feel like a plattformer at times :D

More and more this place feels like Labyrinth, I have to stick to low ground at times trying to navigate my way thorugh
    Squeezing through

As troublesome as it can be I love driving around in places in like this

In front of me this looks like a road, while its going in the wrong direction I hit a bit of a deadend here and since this way seems to lead upwards I decide to follow to get to higher ground

And I think I ended up pretty much outside of the canyon on the Side, at leasts its high ground!

I made run down back into the canyon, I may have to go back to the side hitting more dead ends but I would hate having to avoid the canyon. While not a fast way to make progress I love driving in those places. But for now I stopped at -16.20/88.63

Distance driven is 0.09Mm

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast