Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 58910

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: Poisson d'avril (Mar 31st - Apr 8th)

I was thinking about doing another run on Sunday but combining it with A* Challenge but wasn’t sure whether I would manage it without a lot of interruptions, so it got left.

The plan was to use an Orca that I rigged on Friday to do an unlimited run to Sagittarius A* using neutrons stars. I would have started at either Trevakat or Kappa flown to probably Lomas Orbital then to Sagittarius A*, after which I would have decided whether to go to Hamlet’s Harmony and do the rest of the course for this. The downside the plan was I wouldn’t have got the bonus for not repairing and the addtional distant required

Thanks Furrycat for the fun race! It's fitting that for my first participation in a Bucky Ball Racing Club event, the only direction for me to go from here is up. Congrats to Bruski. And Crotalus, you're a madman.

that was a fun event thanks Furrycat for hosting us! how long did it take you to plan all that? and thanks for everyone else for competing Great run, Bruski, you definitely took more advantage of the bonuses than I did! And if Furrycat didn't make a typo, you did it by running one waypoint station too many????!

I'd made a python script to run through possible course combinations. All the timings in it are based on how I fly, so it gives pretty close estimates in time. My route appears quickest for a regulation dolphin, if you're not doing the fishy stuff. But it appears that getting your ship fish-stinky is the way to go, so I updated the script tonight to model carrying the fish too. It turns out that carrying a load of fish would actually slow the regulation dolphin by 45 seconds due to more jump time than the fish hauling time gained, but then if you could hit someone with a fish that extra 2 minutes is the key, and could produce a regulation dolphin time of about 15m30s (assuming you can hit a ship while passing by and not losing any time - i don't actually know how much time it takes to hit someone). I also modelled a dolphin with a max engineered FSD, and that more than gains the time loss from not being regulation - with the hit-with-fish bonus you coudl theoretically be down around 14m45s running this route: (Kappa > Okinura > LTT 4461 > Rod > Wailladyan > Liu Baja > Kathaima > Trevakat)

Thanks to Furrycat for hosting this great race of many, many waypoints, bonuses and head-scratching, which must have taken a lot of time and effort to set up.

Congratulations to Bruski, MostlyEvilKiwi, Azzie Elbub and Edelgard von Rhein, but in particular CMDR Crotalus, who is a winner in a class of his own.

Until next time. Fly safer, CMDRs 07.

Not sure if I have everything correct here yet, but it's late and I need to stop writing.

Here's the spreadsheet I used to scrawl crazy copypasta etc while planning the race:

A. Initial Plotting
    First I took a random sampling from the list, made sure it was an acceptable combo, and tested it for different combinations of Rod and Pole and engineering. From what I could see, the regulation bonus wasn't going to be high enough to counteract the bonus from high level engineering, but I'd have to verify that later. Most of my calculations would be largely independent of jump range, and rely on reducing overall hyperjump distance, so I could reevaluate that later.

B. Large ship viability?
    I copied station chart/diagram from Furrycat's post, and deleted all the stations that a large ship couldn't land at. This left only one viable path for large ships (both the Orca and Beluga) was Wailladyan, Avaticus, Liu Baja, HR 5716, which included two planetary bases. I wanted to avoid those at almost any cost, since I hate getting eclipsed when taking off, so large ships seemed to be out. I already determined I would be sticked with the Saud kruger line, since a 6 minute bonus was huge, and the marine mammal ships are very capable racers in general. So Dolphin it is!

C. Route Set
    Furrycat pushed a change to the EDTS program a bit ago that allowed one to select one or more stations from a list that had to be visited. However it didn't have the ability to select two parameters that needed to be fulfilled, so it couldn't do this rae all on its own. I ended up grouping the stations into four groups, either by fish or by last word, and having EDTS optimize those routes. If it found an illegal route (say I was sorting by fish and it found a route with two terminals), I would branch that into two different strings, and if those were illegal, so on and so on.

D. The Last Word
    It seemed to me that elimination by last word worked better, as it created several smaller groups with less overlap, than by fish, although in the end they ought to converge on roughly the same route.

E. Traps!
    Then when figuring out my route, I noticed that a certain fuzzy felie had been very tricksy, and a station that seemed like a good idea to travel to would take 25 minutes of supercruise. >.< So I added supercruise distance and time to the top of the sheet, and eliminated all planetary stations, and the one with 389k ls supercruise. I left in the 14, 11, 5, and 3 K supercruise ones, and figured that if they were on the optimal route, I could calculate that cost against the alternatives later.

F.
    Now that I had a plausible route, I started looking at different loadouts (regulation vs cargo filled vs empty) to get some times for them. From this is seemed clear that engineered and filled with cargo would be the bonus winner.

G. Third course set
    Then I tried the station routeset optimization again, with my cargo filled engineered jump range, and the bad stations struck off the list. With only two viable stations for Sturgeon and Bass, is seemed to make more sense to sort by fish name again instead of last word.

H. Bonus optimizations
    Now that I had a route, I tested it with adding in Rod, Pole, Okinura, and skilled Hamlet because only Crotalus is THAT crazy. I took EDTS estimated time, subtracted the bonus time, and Found that either Rod or Rod/Fisher would be best, with Rod Fisher coming out on top so far. But I didn't know if adding in Rod and Fisher would change the other stations I needed to take, and that would take... AWHILE.

I. Abusing my poor CPU
    This was most of my Sunday, since optimizing a problem with 4 routesets and 2-3 other waypoints took my computer over an hour at times, so I'd come back and plug in a new string every so often. This was allowing the optimizer to choose the best route from any non planetary station within reasonable distance, plus every permutation of bonus stations. Then redoing it and branching if it found a route with duplicates. This again seemed to indicate that a Rod/Fisher combo was the best bet, even though I really wanted a Rod/Pole/Fisher to work.

J. Changing jump distance.
    Now it was time to find a fish market. One of the best things about the Rod Fisher comb is that I could have a jump range of 53 ly until I hit the first waypoint station, so by hitting Rod and Fisher first, I was able to minimize jumps taken.

K. FISH!
    I now just needed to find a station to stop at for fish. I wanted it to be within one jump of Liu Baja/Ray Dock , and hope I could find one that was 2 jumps away from Rod, but try as I might, the space between them was empty, so I had to settle for LP 339-7/So-yeon Dock at 3 jumps, but it was only a few ls from the primary, for some consolation.

L. Armor
    I chose not to go for the fsh in a barrel achievement, in spite of not having shield, because that did allow my to put heavy duty armor engineering on my hull, and repair at every station. I personally felt the bonus wasn't quite enough incentive to make up for all the slower more careful docks and increased danger (especially while trying to drop fish on another ship), however, it was a close choice.

M. Cargo usage and the Lighthouse
    I was planning on using every available slot for cargo, since all refueling could be done at stations. But on my first run the in-game plotter too me to Jackson's lighthouse, which was beautiful and wonderful! Except for the fact that I didn't have a fuel scoop equipped. Even though Jackson's Lighthouse only saved me one jump on the way to Rod (as opposed to maybe 3 on the way to Pole) one jump is 45 seconds saved, maybe 30 when taking into account the boosting time, and the bonus for 4 tons of fish was 16 seconds, so taking the scoop made sense.

N. Alternate Routes proposed by Racers
    Given that Furrycat designed the race, I figured I'd see how his route would compare.
    My route in EDTS with system bonuses was estimated 27:17 flying time - 7:00 bonuses = 20:17 estimated time. (Actual flying time was 10 minutes longer, because landing at stations and whatnot I think.)
    Furrycat's route in EDTS was estimated 25:42 flying time - 10:00 bonuses = 15:42 estimated time. However it did have two planetary landings, so there's a question of whether those would cost more or less than 4.5 minutes. I also did this assuming one could take two jumps from Kappa to Pole via Jackson's Lighthouse.
    MostlyEvilKiwi's route in EDTS was estimated 23:31 flying time - 7:00 bonuses = 16:31 estimated time. With one planetary landing.

Both of those routes would likely need to add a stop to pick up fish, which would add some time as well, and my EDTS route included that.

However, they both seem highly viable, and would be fun to test sometime.

Here's the video that resulted from the above convulusion:

37:00 Poisson davril
    38:00 One of my favorite ads.

Songs were just from a search on Spotify for "April Fools."
    I feel like the stuffed fish on my headset should've gotten a bonus though.

Also a note to MostlyEvilKiwi, I only stopped at four stations, must've been a transcription error.

Congrats to all participants, ust for finding a course, ANY course and finishing a ridiculously fiendish race.

And many thanks to furrycat for possibly the most evil plotting problem we've ever encountered, as well and very carefully balanced bonuses. I'd like to hear how the design went if you're interested in sharing.

Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)
    Not sure if I have everything correct here yet, but it's late and I need to stop writing.

Here's the spreadsheet I used to scrawl crazy copypasta etc while planning the race:

A. Initial Plotting
    First I took a random sampling from the list, made sure it was an acceptable combo, and tested it for different combinations of Rod and Pole and engineering. From what I could see, the regulation bonus wasn't going to be high enough to counteract the bonus from high level engineering, but I'd have to verify that later. Most of my calculations would be largely independent of jump range, and rely on reducing overall hyperjump distance, so I could reevaluate that later.

B. Large ship viability?
    I copied station chart/diagram from Furrycat's post, and deleted all the stations that a large ship couldn't land at. This left only one viable path for large ships (both the Orca and Beluga) was Wailladyan, Avaticus, Liu Baja, HR 5716, which included two planetary bases. I wanted to avoid those at almost any cost, since I hate getting eclipsed when taking off, so large ships seemed to be out. I already determined I would be sticked with the Saud kruger line, since a 6 minute bonus was huge, and the marine mammal ships are very capable racers in general. So Dolphin it is!

C. Route Set
    Furrycat pushed a change to the EDTS program a bit ago that allowed one to select one or more stations from a list that had to be visited. However it didn't have the ability to select two parameters that needed to be fulfilled, so it couldn't do this rae all on its own. I ended up grouping the stations into four groups, either by fish or by last word, and having EDTS optimize those routes. If it found an illegal route (say I was sorting by fish and it found a route with two terminals), I would branch that into two different strings, and if those were illegal, so on and so on.

D. The Last Word
    It seemed to me that elimination by last word worked better, as it created several smaller groups with less overlap, than by fish, although in the end they ought to converge on roughly the same route.

E. Traps!
    Then when figuring out my route, I noticed that a certain fuzzy felie had been very tricksy, and a station that seemed like a good idea to travel to would take 25 minutes of supercruise. >.< So I added supercruise distance and time to the top of the sheet, and eliminated all planetary stations, and the one with 389k ls supercruise. I left in the 14, 11, 5, and 3 K supercruise ones, and figured that if they were on the optimal route, I could calculate that cost against the alternatives later.

F.
    Now that I had a plausible route, I started looking at different loadouts (regulation vs cargo filled vs empty) to get some times for them. From this is seemed clear that engineered and filled with cargo would be the bonus winner.

G. Third course set
    Then I tried the station routeset optimization again, with my cargo filled engineered jump range, and the bad stations struck off the list. With only two viable stations for Sturgeon and Bass, is seemed to make more sense to sort by fish name again instead of last word.

H. Bonus optimizations
    Now that I had a route, I tested it with adding in Rod, Pole, Okinura, and skilled Hamlet because only Crotalus is THAT crazy. I took EDTS estimated time, subtracted the bonus time, and Found that either Rod or Rod/Fisher would be best, with Rod Fisher coming out on top so far. But I didn't know if adding in Rod and Fisher would change the other stations I needed to take, and that would take... AWHILE.

I. Abusing my poor CPU
    This was most of my Sunday, since optimizing a problem with 4 routesets and 2-3 other waypoints took my computer over an hour at times, so I'd come back and plug in a new string every so often. This was allowing the optimizer to choose the best route from any non planetary station within reasonable distance, plus every permutation of bonus stations. Then redoing it and branching if it found a route with duplicates. This again seemed to indicate that a Rod/Fisher combo was the best bet, even though I really wanted a Rod/Pole/Fisher to work.

J. Changing jump distance.
    Now it was time to find a fish market. One of the best things about the Rod Fisher comb is that I could have a jump range of 53 ly until I hit the first waypoint station, so by hitting Rod and Fisher first, I was able to minimize jumps taken.

K. FISH!
    I now just needed to find a station to stop at for fish. I wanted it to be within one jump of Liu Baja/Ray Dock , and hope I could find one that was 2 jumps away from Rod, but try as I might, the space between them was empty, so I had to settle for LP 339-7/So-yeon Dock at 3 jumps, but it was only a few ls from the primary, for some consolation.

L. Armor
    I chose not to go for the fsh in a barrel achievement, in spite of not having shield, because that did allow my to put heavy duty armor engineering on my hull, and repair at every station. I personally felt the bonus wasn't quite enough incentive to make up for all the slower more careful docks and increased danger (especially while trying to drop fish on another ship), however, it was a close choice.

M. Cargo usage and the Lighthouse
    I was planning on using every available slot for cargo, since all refueling could be done at stations. But on my first run the in-game plotter too me to Jackson's lighthouse, which was beautiful and wonderful! Except for the fact that I didn't have a fuel scoop equipped. Even though Jackson's Lighthouse only saved me one jump on the way to Rod (as opposed to maybe 3 on the way to Pole) one jump is 45 seconds saved, maybe 30 when taking into account the boosting time, and the bonus for 4 tons of fish was 16 seconds, so taking the scoop made sense.

N. Alternate Routes proposed by Racers
    Given that Furrycat designed the race, I figured I'd see how his route would compare.
    My route in EDTS with system bonuses was estimated 27:17 flying time - 7:00 bonuses = 20:17 estimated time. (Actual flying time was 10 minutes longer, because landing at stations and whatnot I think.)
    Furrycat's route in EDTS was estimated 25:42 flying time - 10:00 bonuses = 15:42 estimated time. However it did have two planetary landings, so there's a question of whether those would cost more or less than 4.5 minutes. I also did this assuming one could take two jumps from Kappa to Pole via Jackson's Lighthouse.
    MostlyEvilKiwi's route in EDTS was estimated 23:31 flying time - 7:00 bonuses = 16:31 estimated time. With one planetary landing.

Both of those routes would likely need to add a stop to pick up fish, which would add some time as well, and my EDTS route included that.

However, they both seem highly viable, and would be fun to test sometime.

Here's the video that resulted from the above convulusion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W5wr-EvKKM

37:00 Poisson davril
    38:00 One of my favorite ads.

Songs were just from a search on Spotify for "April Fools."
    I feel like the stuffed fish on my headset should've gotten a bonus though.

Also a note to MostlyEvilKiwi, I only stopped at four stations, must've been a transcription error.

Congrats to all participants, ust for finding a course, ANY course and finishing a ridiculously fiendish race.

And many thanks to furrycat for possibly the most evil plotting problem we've ever encountered, as well and very carefully balanced bonuses. I'd like to hear how the design went if you're interested in sharing.
    Awesome planning and execution as ever! I don't feel nearly so bad now ... what I did (as hinted at earlier) was whack all the stations in as bookmarks, sort the ones with long SC's or planetary landings to the bottom, eyeball the galaxy map as I clicked on the others to find a bunch that satisfied the naming criteria and then eyeball the galaxy map some more to pick a sensible route between them.

So did nobody else simply dump fish outside the start station and then scoop them back up on the way out? Having to actually go somewhere to buy fish on the way seemed far too obvious!

P.S. anyone else going to Lavecon this year?

In terms of planning, once I'd decided on the concept of visiting stations named after fish, the first step was to find out how many fish names we were playing with. The way I did that was essentially to search for fish names in a dump of all the stations from the EDSM database.

Surprisingly there weren't that many. The only fish names amongst known stations were Pike, Bass, Sturgeon and Ray. Conveniently there are several Poissons.

We have to get a bit creative to find more names. Mako is not a fish. Hamlet and Jack are not instantly recognisable as fish to most people. Angelfish, Turbot, Herrington and Coddington aren't spelled correctly. Then there are of course Fisher, Seamans, Rod and Pole.

There are several stations for each of four fish names so the next step was to decide on a shortlist. The Port, Dock, Landing and Terminal names fit the nautical theme so I removed all the stations which didn't match those.

Then came a bit of voodoo. I constructed a giant Raikogram of the candidate systems as well as four potential start/finish lines. Then I basically stared at it and eliminated out stations that "looked too far" from the others. The process was entirely black magical based on my experience looking at many such charts in the paste.

The final step for picking the waypoints was to select four of each type of fish, ensuring that there was enough variety of names to complete both challenges. When I found that there weren't enough last words for Pike I realised that it would make the selection a bit more interesting. That turned out to be a pain when the race started and people started submitting screenshots of "Pike Landing" with no indication on the UI as to which system it was.

I also made some effort to mix up the station types so that there were starports, outposts and planetary bases. The choice of a 363,000Ly supercruise was the first April Fool in the rules.

Calculating appropriate bonuses was the next task. To work out how much time should be given for visiting Rod, Pole and Okinura I ran edts on what I had already decided was the optimal route with different jump ranges. 30Ly for the regulation dolphin, 50Ly for a reasonably engineered DBX and various other ranges. I then chose bonus time based on how many I expected you would use getting to the bonus systems on the route. My expectation was that visiting either Rod or Pole would be barely worthwhile for an unengineered ship but that going to both would be a net win. Similarly for the fish bombing I had to factor in a stop at another system to buy the fish.

The fish bombing is interesting because unless you are sneaksy like Alec Turner you will always struggle to make a net gain after going to buy the fish. But if you go there anyway for the haulage bonus it's a nice extra.

The next April Fool was of course the trip to Hamlet's Harmony. The bonus needed to be high enough that you'd consider going out of your way to earn it but not so high that you'd realise without even opening the map that it was in Colonia.

The cargo hauling bonus was calculated based on the standard jump range formula.

First I made a spreadsheet with every ship, their FSD stats and maximum cargo capacity, and populated it with the maximum range values that Coriolis suggests for each ship. The Coriolis "maximise jump range" builds are usually appropriate for racing so I thought that was reasonable. I then modified each reference build in Coriolis - this took a long time - setting all the optional slots to cargo racks, and added the fully laden range to my spreadsheet.

At this point the columns were looking something like this:

Hull FSD opt mass Max fuel per jump Fuel power Max cargo Unladen range Laden range
    Dolphin 525 3 2.3 84 35.2 22.08

I sorted them by fully laden range. DBX at the top, T9 at the bottom.

Then I chose a par jump range. I started with 30Ly and refined it to 28.94Ly which was the mean average unladen range of all the ships. Next I added three more columns. The mass that the ship would have to be to achieve the unladen and laden ranges as well as the mass it would have to be to achieve the par range. Each ship was then given an offset value of laden mass / (2 * par mass * ln 2). The lower that number (0.64 for the DBX) the less penalty a ship has when laden as compared to the par unladen range. The T9 had a factor of 1.68. The goal was to scale the time bonus so that ships which would lose the most time through transporting more cargo would earn a larger bonus to compensate.

Hull Unladen mass Laden mass Par mass Offset
    DBX 294.65 378.97 425.55 0.64
    Dolphin 164.51 262.26 200.08 0.945
    Anaconda 530.14 1049.13 758.32 0.99
    T9 1437.86 2750.38 1177.41 1.68

Each ship has a different cargo capacity so I calculated the percentage of cargo capacity that each unit of cargo represents. The Dolphin, for instance, has 84T max capacity so each ton is 100 / 84 = 1.19% of total.

The ship's bonus factor was then calculated as 4 * cargo percent * offset (fuel power) which would give the DBX a 2m15s bonus and the T9 almost 28 extra minutes.

The final table looks like this:

There wasn't a lot of uptake on the hauling challenge so we didn't really get to see if the formula was as scrupulously fair as advertised.

Nor did anyone claim to spot my next April Fool. You will notice there are 33 ships in the spreadsheet but 34 in the list of bonuses in the race rules.

Thanks for an amazing and funny race furrycat! o7

I wish I'd had chance for a few more runs - after my submitted run, I had two aborted runs (one rebuy, and one accidental jump to the wrong system) plus a "final" run that finished a couple of minutes after midnight. I'd hoped to finish just before midnight - which would have been an improvement to my time, but having dropped the trip to Fisher Terminal (with it's bonus) my time ended up being a few seconds slower than my submission anyway - and this despite a too-fast-for-orbital cruise dropout and an interdiction in my submitted run...

I didn't get chance to switch to a Dolphin and don't have an engineered 4A FSD yet anyway.

I'm kicking myself for not using Jackson's Lighthouse - when planning my route during lunch-breaks I'd checked for convenient white-dwarfs (nope!), but didn't check how close Jackson's was. I've even got it permanently bookmarked at the top of my list, where my current BRC or CG bookmarks go! I definitely feel like an April fool for that one! I even discounted visiting Pole, because without using a boosted jump it added too many jumps to my route (whereas Rod added zero jumps).

Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)
    I didn't get chance to switch to a Dolphin and don't have an engineered 4A FSD yet anyway.
    Nor did I and I'd just like to take a moment to sing the praises of Engineering 3.0 ... in conjunction with the new mat brokers (and the galaxy search to find them) engineering a grade 5 FSD from scratch for this race was un piece de poiss!

Originally Posted by furrycat View Post (Source)
    In terms of planning, once I'd decided on the concept of visiting stations named after fish, the first step was to find out how many fish names we were playing with. The way I did that was essentially to search for fish names in a dump of all the stations from the EDSM database.

Surprisingly there weren't that many. The only fish names amongst known stations were Pike, Bass, Sturgeon and Ray. Conveniently there are several Poissons.

We have to get a bit creative to find more names. Mako is not a fish. Hamlet and Jack are not instantly recognisable as fish to most people. Angelfish, Turbot, Herrington and Coddington aren't spelled correctly. Then there are of course Fisher, Seamans, Rod and Pole.

There are several stations for each of four fish names so the next step was to decide on a shortlist. The Port, Dock, Landing and Terminal names fit the nautical theme so I removed all the stations which didn't match those.

Then came a bit of voodoo. I constructed a giant Raikogram of the candidate systems as well as four potential start/finish lines. Then I basically stared at it and eliminated out stations that "looked too far" from the others. The process was entirely black magical based on my experience looking at many such charts in the paste.

The final step for picking the waypoints was to select four of each type of fish, ensuring that there was enough variety of names to complete both challenges. When I found that there weren't enough last words for Pike I realised that it would make the selection a bit more interesting. That turned out to be a pain when the race started and people started submitting screenshots of "Pike Landing" with no indication on the UI as to which system it was.

I also made some effort to mix up the station types so that there were starports, outposts and planetary bases. The choice of a 363,000Ly supercruise was the first April Fool in the rules.

Calculating appropriate bonuses was the next task. To work out how much time should be given for visiting Rod, Pole and Okinura I ran edts on what I had already decided was the optimal route with different jump ranges. 30Ly for the regulation dolphin, 50Ly for a reasonably engineered DBX and various other ranges. I then chose bonus time based on how many I expected you would use getting to the bonus systems on the route. My expectation was that visiting either Rod or Pole would be barely worthwhile for an unengineered ship but that going to both would be a net win. Similarly for the fish bombing I had to factor in a stop at another system to buy the fish.

The fish bombing is interesting because unless you are sneaksy like Alec Turner you will always struggle to make a net gain after going to buy the fish. But if you go there anyway for the haulage bonus it's a nice extra.

The next April Fool was of course the trip to Hamlet's Harmony. The bonus needed to be high enough that you'd consider going out of your way to earn it but not so high that you'd realise without even opening the map that it was in Colonia.

The cargo hauling bonus was calculated based on the standard jump range formula.

First I made a spreadsheet with every ship, their FSD stats and maximum cargo capacity, and populated it with the maximum range values that Coriolis suggests for each ship. The Coriolis "maximise jump range" builds are usually appropriate for racing so I thought that was reasonable. I then modified each reference build in Coriolis - this took a long time - setting all the optional slots to cargo racks, and added the fully laden range to my spreadsheet.

At this point the columns were looking something like this:

Hull FSD opt mass Max fuel per jump Fuel power Max cargo Unladen range Laden range
    Dolphin 525 3 2.3 84 35.2 22.08

I sorted them by fully laden range. DBX at the top, T9 at the bottom.

Then I chose a par jump range. I started with 30Ly and refined it to 28.94Ly which was the mean average unladen range of all the ships. Next I added three more columns. The mass that the ship would have to be to achieve the unladen and laden ranges as well as the mass it would have to be to achieve the par range. Each ship was then given an offset value of laden mass / (2 * par mass * ln 2). The lower that number (0.64 for the DBX) the less penalty a ship has when laden as compared to the par unladen range. The T9 had a factor of 1.68. The goal was to scale the time bonus so that ships which would lose the most time through transporting more cargo would earn a larger bonus to compensate.

Hull Unladen mass Laden mass Par mass Offset
    DBX 294.65 378.97 425.55 0.64
    Dolphin 164.51 262.26 200.08 0.945
    Anaconda 530.14 1049.13 758.32 0.99
    T9 1437.86 2750.38 1177.41 1.68

Each ship has a different cargo capacity so I calculated the percentage of cargo capacity that each unit of cargo represents. The Dolphin, for instance, has 84T max capacity so each ton is 100 / 84 = 1.19% of total.

The ship's bonus factor was then calculated as 4 * cargo percent * offset (fuel power) which would give the DBX a 2m15s bonus and the T9 almost 28 extra minutes.

The final table looks like this:
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...l_the_fish.png

There wasn't a lot of uptake on the hauling challenge so we didn't really get to see if the formula was as scrupulously fair as advertised.

Nor did anyone claim to spot my next April Fool. You will notice there are 33 ships in the spreadsheet but 34 in the list of bonuses in the race rules.
    <insert classic mind-blown animated gif here>

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Nor did I and I'd just like to take a moment to sing the praises of Engineering 3.0 ... in conjunction with the new mat brokers (and the galaxy search to find them) engineering a grade 5 FSD from scratch for this race was un piece de poiss!
    Oh I agree I much prefer Engineering in 3.0, it's just that since I only had time for a couple of attempts anyway, I didn't want spend any of that time visiting Felicity.

The best aspect of 3.0 engineering for me, particularly when it comes to racing, is that it's levelled the playing field - no more RNG in the maximum values.

Not really done route plotting before so wanted to get a respectable time on the board -pretty happy with how it went. Aimed to do as much route planning on the tablet or with pen and paper to make the most of any desktop time in game. Looking at the rules a dolphin was likely to be quickest, but I don't have a 4a fsd engineered or enough data to do it. The regulation dolphin was tempting but I doubted I could plot a sensible route the extra jumps would bring so decided to focus on using my asp with as many bonuses as sensible. I think it was ashnak who reccomended:

http://edtools.ddns.net/dist.php

This gave a table of distances. First stage was to look at total ly of a few different routes then eliminate any hutton run type stations... that got rid of one route.first attempt was:
    trevak
    kathaima pike landing
    liu baja ray dock
    wallidayan bass port
    ltt 4461 sturgeon terminal
    kappa poisson orbital

There were some very slow sections here but on the positive side the route plotter showed me Jackson's lighthouse. At this point i realised a longer ly route would be quicker and the rod bonus was worth it with a ship that could get out there quickly using the lighthouse. Using the table I deleted some terrible stops which through a process of elimination made possible routes a lot simpler. Looking online a dbx would have the range and could switch the fsd from the asp. Thrusters weren't as simple but pulled some from a cobra giving a boost speed about 390 (feels very slow). In the end got a couple of runs in and one with no shields so very happy. Next time will aim to get in the ship scouting the run sooner as I found that was very useful.

A big thanks to furrycat for organising!

Originally Posted by Ashnak View Post (Source)
    I was afraid of something like that, when on my last run I got a popup in my comms panel:

CMDR Aken B. has come online
    Now you know what I feel everytime I see cookiehole come online just before a race deadline.
    Lucky you, I'm still 4000 ly away from the bubble.

Having lurked the race thread anyway, I bow to the superior madmanship (totally a legit word) on display both in conception and execution of this event!

Here's to the Crazy!

I want the ship with 3.1415 bonus...

The next race thread is up now, The Galaxy's End: A Buckyball Pub Crawl begins this weekend.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...il-to-6th-May)

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 58910