Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: Poisson d'avril (Mar 31st - Apr 8th)

Ok, next try. The spreadsheet has it down to 4 Stations, 15 jumps, maximum distance less than 1000 ls. Let me see what kind of surprises you laid in stock on this route.

Probably after I took the shears to the hedge - this is the only day on this weekend I might get away with a little light yardwork.

Originally Posted by Ashnak View Post (Source)
    Probably after I took the shears to the hedge - this is the only day on this weekend I might get away with a little light yardwork.
    There's a part of me that hates the Easter bank holiday weekend. It's the part that thinks "woo! 4 days off work!! I'll be able to spend loads of time playing Elite" and then discovers that, nope, quite the opposite.

There's another part of me that hates Elite Dangerous for making me feel like that.

Done with the base route...
    Tomorrow... jump/fuel optimization... some more number crunching... and surveying the route.

Inglorious Barsturd:

My first spreadsheet route used that as well, but I did look at distances before flying so didnt get the nasty surprise....

Ok, next try. The spreadsheet has it down to 4 Stations, 15 jumps, maximum distance less than 1000 ls. Let me see what kind of surprises you laid in stock on this route.
    That sounds like a "shorter" route than the one I'll try first. Going to be interesting to see what everyone comes up with and the different strategies. Also hope to try a different ship for this as well...

I don't know, you turn up a day late and they're all talking about spreadsheets...

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    This race is giving me a headache and I haven't even started thinking about it yet (just winging it on the day will be fine yeah?).
    As always

*Edit*

Oh, I've just logged in and seen how far apart the start and finish systems are... How am I supposed to fly a route that big with an ADS and DSS first, to make sure I've scanned every system I've visited

OK, formally stating my intent to race

Cmdr Name: Ozric
    Class: Regulation Dolphin
    Ship Name: Flipper (yes I know, I'm sorry)

Originally Posted by furrycat View Post (Source)
    The shortest Ly route may not necessarily be the quickest.

Not if I did my job properly.
    That's the understatement of this year.

After a trial run of my theoretical 15 jump route (which turned out to be 20 jumps in reality, after adding one optional and getting two additional jumps thanks to the stars not being where they should be for optimal routing) and looking at the times, I think I might do better with an alternative (theoretical) 27 jump route.

But first, I'm off to Bill Turner and see if he can shave off another few kgs of my life support. Question: why does the engineer that can do the best life support mods require proof of your prowess in killing people?

Oh, and before I forget again: intend to be

I've stumbled across a Ray Platform, while looking for somewhere to refuel. Could I use that in place of one of the ones listed?

Today has been a frustrating day. I managed my first run, but it was pretty poor with lots of mistakes. The second run was going much better until leaving my penultimate required stop I boosted into the slot and left myself with 2% hull Still I managed to dock at my refuel station OK and then on arriving at the end this happened...

It's odd because normally when you've done a run you have a rough idea of how well you've done, but I have literally no idea whether the rough and ready route I've chosen is anywhere near optimum... I imagine not

Question: If I'm running the regulation Dolphin build, do I have to run shieldless?

Regulation Dolphin has no shields. If you have shields you are not regulation. You can still get the Dolphin/Orca/Beluga bonus.

Originally Posted by furrycat View Post (Source)
    Regulation Dolphin has no shields. If you have shields you are not regulation. You can still get the Dolphin/Orca/Beluga bonus.
    That is what I thought, but thanks for confirming. Just going to have to make sure I'm more careful when boosting out of the stations

After a 3 year break from Elite, what do I do when I come back? pick right up where I left off of course, by finding the next Bucky Ball race. It's great to see these are still running This is considerably more elaborate that the first few races! But fun too, trying to plan (*cough* python scripting *cough*). I'm scouting out the locations at the moment to get exact jump distances and stuff, and am finding a few things to note, such as that I'll have to come back to a bunch of these systems with a ship that has a scanner, otherwise I can't even find the planetary bases! Anyways, i'm looking forward to actually doing a run eventually in a few days, hopefully my plans work out

Cmdr Name: MostlyEvilKiwi
    Ship: Dolphin
    Ship Name: Regulation

Originally Posted by MostlyEvilKiwi View Post (Source)
    After a 3 year break from Elite, what do I do when I come back? pick right up where I left off of course, by finding the next Bucky Ball race. It's great to see these are still running This is considerably more elaborate that the first few races! But fun too, trying to plan (*cough* python scripting *cough*). I'm scouting out the locations at the moment to get exact jump distances and stuff, and am finding a few things to note, such as that I'll have to come back to a bunch of these systems with a ship that has a scanner, otherwise I can't even find the planetary bases! Anyways, i'm looking forward to actually doing a run eventually in a few days, hopefully my plans work out

Cmdr Name: MostlyEvilKiwi
    Ship: Dolphin
    Ship Name: Regulation
    Welcome back MostlyEvilKiwi, 3 years eh? Crikey, you must have flown in some of the original ElectricZ Buckyball Runs then. So yeah, EZ stepped down from full-time race hosting and the Buckyball Racing Club took over and have been runing races ever since (well over 50 of them now). Some of them are elaborate (this one in particular), others not so much, but they're always different and are always full of new learning opportunities. If you haven't already you should check out the list of past races on our website.

http://www.buckyballracing.org.uk/pastevents.html

o7 and fly fast!

Originally Posted by Ozric View Post (Source)
    It's odd because normally when you've done a run you have a rough idea of how well you've done, but I have literally no idea whether the rough and ready route I've chosen is anywhere near optimum... I imagine not
    No it wasn't

I swapped 2 systems out today purely in favour of what looked better on the Galaxy Map and took 8 minutes off my previous time (though that wasn't perfect due to interdictions and missed SC dropouts, but still)! And that was considering that one of the stops was a planet of over 1g, which came as a bit of a shock as I descended, but I'm glad that the last race had set me in good stead. To be honest though I have no idea how I made it away from that one, I'm finding the Dolphin a tricky ship to get used to racing, it seems to change the way it handles quite drastically depending on what it feels like doing. It's possible they've changed the way that Industrial stations work (the ones with all the refinery things inside) because a couple of times, the ship just hasn't wanted to move in the direction I was trying to take it. Then the slightest tap has cost me 10%+ before and yet I smacked into the landing pad on this planet, then rubbed my face in it for a bit and still only lost 56%

I'm happy enough though.

Furrycat I'm about to submit my run, but something that may need to be taken into consideration is that for the regulation Dolphin there's no Fuel Scoop, so I had to refuel multiple times which will loose me credits even though I didn't repair. I decided to add in an extra screenshot every time I refueled to show how much was used, though I obviously have the video if needed and the fact that I lost 1% hull on takeoff actually helped

Originally Posted by Ozric View Post (Source)
    I had to refuel multiple times
    Yes I will update the rules to say that credits lost to refueling are of course OK.

There being no fuel scoop is part of the fun.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast