Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: Poisson d'avril (Mar 31st - Apr 8th)

Originally Posted by furrycat View Post (Source)
    There being no fuel scoop is part of the fun.
    Indeed, I certainly think that one of the reason I improved so much was that I had managed to cut out refuelling outside of the required stations.

Oh I completely forgot, how could I have forgotten to post this already, shocking.

The shortest Ly route may not necessarily be the quickest.

Not if I did my job properly.
    Indeed. I just tried a different route which is more than double the number of light years, but still quicker despite my incompetence:
    • Getting very lost at an outpost. First couldn't find the docking pad, then misread 02 as 03, then an accidental boost... (Not done that in a long time, honest!)
    • In one system there are binary stars close to the station. I got docking permission, got distracted by the pretty stars, knew a second boost was a bad idea, did it anyway, face planted my asp explorer into the station.
    • Absolutely no scouting or fuel planning led to some obviously bad choices

Will submit this as the 'best' of three attempts, hope to run it again later in the week and put together a smooth run that I'm sure would knock considerable time off. Would also like to have a go with the orca / dolphin but need to buy and outfit one first...

A lot of trade offs and things to consider in this course, excellent job furrycat

Ok, first race submitted. Let's see where I end up.

And hat off to furrycat. I don't even want to contemplate how much time and effort has gone into the preparation for this race - the poster is only a small part of that. I can go through all (reasonable) combinations of the stations and all viable combinations of options, and every time I end up with a projected final time in the same ballpark.

I probably have no chance in this race anyway, but I'm really tempted to call over my T-9 and try for a 600 ton Thanks for all the fish bonus. And if it weren't for the part of the rule where I have to land at the final station with all of the fish in my hold, I'd throw in a Poisson d'Avril by dumping all of it into Poisson Enterprise - that just has to hit at least one ship .

furrycat - could you adapt the rules so that Thanks for all the fish is fulfilled when you make it through the slot of the final station with (all of) the fish in the hold?

Fly fast, CMDRs.

Would the use Auto Field Maintenance Units to repair modules prevent you from getting fish in a barrel?
    Looking at the rules I assume you are ok to buy the fish after returning from Hamlet’s Harmony, so you could fly to Hamlet’s Harmony then to Rod, Pole and dock at Fishers Terminal then buy some fish from another station before going to the waypoint stations.

For the thanks for all the fish the time is calculated based on the waypoints systems if this doesn’t include the finish station could you dump all but 1 unit of fish at the last waypoint system after docking and still have the full amount of cargo carried count for the calculation as long as you have the one-unit cargo remaining.
    Example Cobra Mk III carrying 24T of fish docks at the last waypoint dumps 23T of fish on way the out docks at the finish station still carrying 1T of cargo would you earn 158 seconds

I assume neutron stars are allowed

I not sure if I am going to be able to do a run.

There have been a few entries over the weekend. Sadly the rules are too complex for the race-o-matic, which has blown a fuse and will need to be patched up. Patientez s'il vous plaÓt for the leaderboard.

Originally Posted by crotalus View Post (Source)
    Would the use Auto Field Maintenance Units to repair modules prevent you from getting fish in a barrel?
    Yes.

so you could fly to Hamletís Harmony then to Rod, Pole and dock at Fishers Terminal then buy some fish from another station before going to the waypoint stations.
    Yes, as long as the fish is in your hold at the first waypoint.

could you dump all but 1 unit of fish at the last waypoint system after docking
    No, the fish must be carried to the finish line.

I assume neutron stars are allowed
    Yes.

I not sure if I am going to be able to do a run.
    Can't answer that but I hope so.

Sadly the rules are too complex for the race-o-matic, which has blown a fuse and will need to be patched up.
    To be fair, I don't think any of us would be surprised by that

Quick update - I spent Easter on planet Wilson falling into Sarlacc's Pit and fliving with Bomba - but I'm back in the bubble now so I may yet make an appearance.

"Plenty of red herrings for Buckyball April Fools"

http://laveradio.com/Galnet/180327Galnet.mp3

Fast forward to 4min 10sec.

Edit: also now in Sagittarius Eye breaking news ..

http://www.sagittarius-eye.com/new-b...th-april-3304/

So, to complete all the optional challenges you would need to do something like the following

Start at the start system with either a Dolphin, Beluga or Orca fly to Hamletís Harmony whilst minimising damage to the ship especially the cargo hatch and frameshift drive which limits the use of neutron stars boosts then to either or both Rod and Pole systems before docking at Fisher Terminal in Okinura.

Fly from Fisher Terminal to a station where fish can be purchased once there buy some fish then fly to a minimum of 4 waypoint stations with the fish in the cargo hold before flying to the finish station which canít be the same as the start.
    At some point during the race at least 1t of cargo must be dropped on another ship.

All this needs to be done with out repairs and properly documented.

Have I missed anything?

So, to complete all the optional challenges you would need to do something like the following

Start at the start system with either a Dolphin, Beluga or Orca fly to Hamlet’s Harmony whilst minimising damage to the ship especially the cargo hatch and frameshift drive which limits the use of neutron stars boosts then to either or both Rod and Pole systems before docking at Fisher Terminal in Okinura.

Fly from Fisher Terminal to a station where fish can be purchased once there buy some fish then fly to a minimum of 4 waypoint stations with the fish in the cargo hold before flying to the finish station which can’t be the same as the start.
    At some point during the race at least 1t of cargo must be dropped on another ship.

Have I missed anything?
    I don't think so, I think that about sums it up.

Anyone crazy enough..? Where's Alot when you need him

Originally Posted by Ozric View Post (Source)
    I don't think so, I think that about sums it up.Anyone crazy enough..?
    Wellll ... I can't really be @rs3d to optimise my route enough to win ... soooo, this has been on my mind!

Start at the start system with either a Dolphin, Beluga or Orca fly to Hamletís Harmony whilst minimising damage to the ship especially the cargo hatch and frameshift drive which limits the use of neutron stars boosts then to either or both Rod and Pole systems before docking at Fisher Terminal in Okinura.

Fly from Fisher Terminal to a station where fish can be purchased once there buy some fish then fly to a minimum of 4 waypoint stations with the fish in the cargo hold before flying to the finish station which canít be the same as the start.

Have I missed anything?
    You would have to do it all in a regulation Dolphin without a scoop, so unless you have a friend willing to refuel you to Hamlet and back I think it's impossible.

Edit, I can't rule out that with 1 fish (enough to get a bonus) the tegulation dolpinh couldn't use economical mode to get to stations on the way to Colonia, but it seems unlikely.

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Wellll ... I can't really be bothered to optimise my route enough to win ... soooo, this has been on my mind!
    Got to spread the love around first Alec (also please don't evade the swear filter, I wouldn't want to have to edit your posts )

Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)
    You would have to do it all in a regulation Dolphin without a scoop, so unless you have a friend willing to refuel you to Hamlet and back I think it's impossible.
    I don't think that's the case because the regulation Dolphin is still part of the 'So Long' bonus, it's just the time bonus is increased if you fly the regulation Dolphin.

Originally Posted by Ozric View Post (Source)
    Got to spread the love around first Alec (also please don't evade the swear filter, I wouldn't want to have to edit your posts )

I don't think that's the case because the regulation Dolphin is still part of the 'So Long' bonus, it's just the time bonus is increased if you fly the regulation Dolphin.
    Oh, good point. Which means you can engineer too, making it slightly less insane.

You need to fly Regulation Dolphin for the full set. The question was asked earlier in the thread.

No scoop means no neutrons.

Economical routing may or may not work. You could pick up the fish on your return to the bubble as long as you do it before the first waypoint.

If you are insane enough to try it, and if you have a friend even more insane enough to help you out, you are allowed to fuel rat.

It would be no fun to make a challenge you couldn't complete, now would it?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 234569 ... LastLast