Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: Poisson d'avril (Mar 31st - Apr 8th)

Kappa is in Lockdown now... we can show only the Modules Tab, but not the Outfitting screen... We can show Outfitting screen on arrival to Trevakat...?

Originally Posted by furrycat View Post (Source)
    It would be no fun to make a challenge you couldn't complete, now would it?
    Hahahaha

Originally Posted by Onane View Post (Source)
    Kappa is in Lockdown now... we can show only the Modules Tab, but not the Outfitting screen... We can show Outfitting screen on arrival to Trevakat...?
    Oh lockdown due to UA bombing or BGSing? I could ship some MA if it would help?

You need to fly Regulation Dolphin for the full set. The question was asked earlier in the thread.
    Oops, bad memory here, good catch.

If you are insane enough to try it, and if you have a friend even more insane enough to help you out, you are allowed to fuel rat.
    I don't see anything in the rules against repair ratting either.

Not that I'm going to try, I don't have that kind of time.

Also, tragically, after spending hours route-optimizing, the yaw potentiometer on my t16000m started flaking out yesterday, so we'll see if I'm able to race at all.

Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)
    Also, tragically, after spending hours route-optimizing, the yaw potentiometer on my t16000m started flaking out yesterday, so we'll see if I'm able to race at all.
    Roll and pitch! Then blame any piloting errors on the joystick.

You need to fly Regulation Dolphin for the full set. The question was asked earlier in the thread.

No scoop means no neutrons.

Economical routing may or may not work. You could pick up the fish on your return to the bubble as long as you do it before the first waypoint.

If you are insane enough to try it, and if you have a friend even more insane enough to help you out, you are allowed to fuel rat.

It would be no fun to make a challenge you couldn't complete, now would it?
    Just to clarify can you complete the April Fool challenge without using the Regulation Dolphin?
    If you can, assuming I have the time this weekend I might give it a go

nevermind I just found the post

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Wellll ... I can't really be bothered to optimise my route enough to win ... soooo, this has been on my mind!
    - bookmark all stations: check

- visit, scan and bookmark systems without data: check

- bookmark Rod and Poll: check

- bookmark Okinura: check

- locate Hamlet's Harmony ... scanning ... scanning ... scanning ... !

WHAT THE ACTUAL SWEAR FILTER AVOIDANCE BAN?!?!?! ... I'm not flying all the way out there for a SWEAR FILTER AVOIDANCE BANNING 30min bonus!!!

Why furrycat Why?

SWEAR FILTER AVOIDANCE BAN that! that's a different kind of crazy which I'll gladly leave to Alot.

Meanwhile, a picture is worth a thousand words ...

Work on the race-o-matic continues. It now accepts entries with optional waypoints but does not yet calculate the bonus time correctly.

Preliminary classification
    1 CMDR Azzie Elbub Ashnak Kappa, Okinura, Rod, Ross 130, Pole, Shany, Oitbi, Jambaraya, Trevakat So long, Fly fishing, Turbot hour
    2 CMDR Ozric Trevakat, Manidone, Oitbi, Liu Baja, LTT 4461, Kappa So long, Thanks for all the fish (25s), Regulation Dolphin, Fish in a barrel

Our first entry was from Ozric in Flipper. Ozric earns Regulation Dolphin (10m20s) despite not filling the optional slots with cargo racks, as there is no advantage to leaving them empty. Consequently he also earns a 43s bonus for remaining hull at the end of the race. A further 25s bonus is earned due to carrying 6T of fish. Total bonus 11m28s.

In the lead, however, is Ashnak who flew another Dolphin, Lollipop for a 6m bonus. Ashnak's route took in both Rod and Pole for a 6m bonus and Okinura for a further 4m bonus. Total bonus 16m exactly to move 1m6s clear despite flying nearly twice the Ly distance, thanks to the benefits of engineering.

Yay! First time in first place, despite not being the only one

But I suspect this will be for a short time only .

Especially seeing that Ozric took on the longer approach in Kappa.

Finally have my route all planned, and did a scanning/bookmarking trip last night. I think I'm going to have to figure out a different jump star on one of my legs to avoid having to supercruise off a planet base. I am also absolutely terrible at attempting to do gravity braking, and I think I remember being terrible at it 3 years ago too, lol. I think I'll not do anything too risky during my actual attempts!

Interesting that the in-progress results show the route people choose. If someone has a good route and post too early, others can just run the same route too. I'd prefer to have the routes people take hidden, but show the time and the various optional systems that got hit up, but nothing to do with ordering or which of the main checkpoint stations were chosen, until final results are published?

Our first entry was from Ozric in Flipper.
    You showed my working Well that's a surprising turn of events...

I'm glad you didn't mind me not having all the cargo racks, I just couldn't be bothered to buy them all

Originally Posted by Ashnak View Post (Source)
    Yay! First time in first place, despite not being the only one

But I suspect this will be for a short time only .

Especially seeing that Ozric took on the longer approach in Kappa.
    Congratulations, you never know though... I hadn't really considered the extra time by finishing at Kappa, but as I found a place to pick up fish that was perfectly on my way to the first waypoint without having to detour then I didn't see much point in deviating from that. I'll have a look at the Galaxy Map to see if there's any Agricultural stations nicely on the way to the first waypoint if I reverse the route, but if I'm honest I'm not sure how much faster I could actually get anyway as it was a pretty good run.

In the regulation Dolphin there's just no point whatsoever trying to do any of the bonus systems as the time bonus isn't worth the detour.

Originally Posted by MostlyEvilKiwi View Post (Source)
    Interesting that the in-progress results show the route people choose. If someone has a good route and post too early, others can just run the same route too. I'd prefer to have the routes people take hidden, but show the time and the various optional systems that got hit up, but nothing to do with ordering or which of the main checkpoint stations were chosen, until final results are published?
    Considering how much effort everyone else is putting into optimising their route I do find it quite surprising, but I suppose without the actual times you have to work out yourself how quick the routes could potentially be. I just used the Galaxy Map to work my route out, though I was actually quite pleased with how well it turned out, I await for my time to be decimated

Originally Posted by MostlyEvilKiwi View Post (Source)
    IMO the optional stations are just as important, took me an afternoon of CPU time to optimize those.

*is glad he didn't submit his run yet*

*hides his ship under a T-10 at Poisson Terminal*

Sent the first acceptable run (in Reverse) with a DBX...
    Hopefully all the requirements were met, and I hope I have not forgotten anything... ...)

Initial Poisson d'avril experiments have not gone as well as I'd hoped.

Plus I now have a pile of littering and loitering fines to pay off.

Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)
    Welcome to the Club, I should say.

I still have my t.16k tucked in its box, waiting for the time I'll actually have the will to do surgery and see if I can fix/replace that single crappy pot...of an otherwise still perfectly working joystick, bought 9 years ago ...

That's one of the things slightly putting me off from the idea of buying another (FCS)...truth be told, even my current Hotas X y-axis is starting to act up a tiny bit, but hey, 50 hotas ...

Sorry everyone and furrycat in particular, as much as I'd have liked the chance to fly a Dolphin in the race, I won't be able to participate in the end. By the looks of it, my Orca's maiden voyage isn't going to end anytime soon before the race deadline...I've got so much to see!

First (and possibly only) run submitted!

I claim So Long, Thanks for all the fish (1x), Fish in a barrel (96%), Fly fishing (x2), Turbot hour AND (drumroll) Poisson d'avril!

The latter took way longer to achieve than the 2min bonus but was totally worth it for the satisfaction of a plan coming together (doubt my run will trouble the podium tho).

Oh, and I got interdicted about 1 milli-second before I was due to drop out at Poisson Enterprise. This would have been pretty annoying except that the NPC's message seemed kinda appropriate!

I may get one more opportunity to run on Sunday afternoon.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast