View Entry Info: Crash Crash

Category:
PC/MAC Bug Reports
Attachments

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Crash Crash

Crash Crash

Severity
    Severe

Frequency
    Most of the time (75%)

Time of occurrence
    All the time

Date of occurrence
    Every day

VR?
    Oculus

Ship/SRV?
    Ship

Ship Type

Commander Name
    AJB999

Description
    Constant crashing when travelling about. Not doing anything in particular. Stop, hour-glass appears then crashes out to crash report screen in Windows 10.
    Brand new Dell Aurora R7 with GTX 1080

Steps to Reproduce
    Just fly about for a few minutes.

Additional files?
    Don't know how to upload.

2. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #2
    Hey Green_Grass,

Thanks for your report - As this is a frequent crash for you, can I please ask that you enable Netlogging and play until you hit a crash again.

In order to tell Elite Dangerous to create a Netlog file you will need to perform the following steps:

If you are currently playing the game please select Save and Exit to exit to the main menu.
    This will allow you to access the Network section of the Options menu.
    - Open the Network options menu.
    - Set the option labelled Logging to On.

Please access your AppConfig.xml which be found in the projects folder where you installed the game and open this in Notepad. You'll see a block near the bottom named "Network". Please insert the following lines somewhere in that block -

ReportSentLetters="1"
    ReportReceivedLetters="1"
    VerboseLogging="1"

Any new network logs produced will now include more detail, which will help us with our investigation.
    Please attempt to recreate this issue in-game and then attach the corresponding network log so we can check it out.

AppConfig file location (default):
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\elite-dangerous-64

Netlogs location (default): C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Frontier_Developments\Products\elite-dangerous-64\Logs

Once you have encountered this issue and have sent us the logs, feel free to remove the line of code from the AppConfig file.

Can you also please provide a DxDiag, to run a DxDiag report follow the steps below:

- If you are running Windows 7 or higher, go to your TaskBar.
    - Click on, "Start Button".
    - Click on, "Run".
    - In the pop-up window enter DxDiag and hit ok.
    - The DirectX Diagnostic Tool pop-up window should appear.
    - Click on, "Save all information".
    - "Save As" window should be present.
    - Click on, "Save" (The file should be saved to your desktop as DxDiag.txt)
    - Exit the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.

Thanks in advance & fly safe o7

Requested information attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Any news? I've sent more than 50 crash reports now. VERY frustrating.

Yay! Just sent my 100th crash report. Still nothing from QA Team.....

Yay! 157 crash reports now. What a waste of money this is turning out to be.

7. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #7
    Hey Green_Grass,

Apologies for a delayed reply - We have been going through your crash reports to see if there is anything that stands out as to why you are crashing. It seems you are encountering a few crashes rather than one single crash multiple times.

Can I please ask you to validate your game files and see if this issue persists if you have not already. Please can you also confirm if you have any other applications running alongside Elite when you encounter these crashes? If so, do the crashes persist if you don't have the application running alongside Elite? Do you experience any issue with any other game or just Elite?

To validate game files please do the following:

ED Laucnher - In the Elite launcher navigate to options -> Verify game files

or

Steam - Right click on Elite in your Steam library -> Properties -> Local files -> Verify integrity of game files.

I have also noticed you have a broken certificate for your Oculus, I'd advise uninstalling and reinstalling your oculus app as well.

Fly safe o7

Hi.

Validate game files? What does that mean?

No other applications running.

Uninstall Oculus App! I have dozens of games installed that work faultlessly. You want me to uninstall and then download them all again?

This gets better and better!

Is there a way to get a refund?

9. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #9
    Hey Green_Grass,

Validating the game files ensures you have all of the correct files on your PC required for the game to run correctly, it also ensures that none of these files are corrupt - which could be causing your issue. I explained the steps on how to do this, or you can google it.

I only recommended that reinstall your oculus app to avoid any possible issues thrown up by the files with an unsigned digital certificate - you don't have to do this if you don't want, but it could cause some issues with your oculus.

If you do want a refund and no longer want us to investigate the cause of your issues, please feel free to contact our Customer support who should be able to assist you in this.

Fly safe o7

10. This is the last staff post in this thread. #10
    Hey Green_Grass,

From looking into your crash reports further it seems there's no pattern to the crash reports. Each is in a different place. Each of these were running heavily-used code that runs all the time for every player, so if there were underlying bugs in any of this code responsible for the crashes then we'd expect to see those same bugs occurring for many other players too.

One of the bugs is reporting out-of-memory which seems very unlikely given that your PC has 32Gb of RAM (plus 8Gb of VRAM).

All of these crashes are consistent with hardware memory faults. I can't say for sure that's what happened but it seems by far the most likely explanation.

Due to this, it would be advisable to contact Customer support who should be able to assist you with this. Please provide your Commander name and let them know you've already raised this issue via forums and they'll be able to pull up all of the info we've gathered and gone through already.

I will move this into the support section of our forums as well where it'll be picked up and they can discuss which avenue you'd like to pursue - be it working to resolve this issue or enquiring about a refund.

Stay safe out there o7

Looking over the dxdiag, there are several error indications I have never seen before (WindowsNonFatalSuspectedDeadlock in Geolocation.dll, there are some search results). You also have that 2012 driver for Audialis/Tunebite; I would recommend you uninstall that and see if things improve.

Not sure if there are updates for your 2016 Rift audio drivers.

Thanks for your suggestions Shadowdancer.

So far, this is a list of some of the things I have tried:

1. Uninstalled and reinstalled the ED software numerous times

2. Uninstalled and reinstalled the Oculus software

3. Uninstalled and reinstalled a range of graphics drivers from latest back to 388.59

4. Tried a whole range of graphics settings within ED from low to high, VR/non-VR

5. Updated file OCULUS119B.sys that DXDIAG reported as not digitally signed

6. Created a new user account in Windows 10 and ran ED within that

7. Checked (!) that oculus is plugged into graphics card

8. Run SFC scan to repair Windows files

9. Performed ‘Validate Game Files’ within desktop version launcher

10. Continue to run ED in a ‘clean boot’ environment with no other applications running

11. Run Dell’s Hardware checkup memory test - passed

12. Run Dell’s extended hardware checkup - ‘completed successfully'

13. Uninstalling all the Dell bloatware.

14. Deleted the Frontier Developments folder.

15. Reinstalled Windows 10 and updated all the drivers etc. Only installed Oculus Home and ED. No other applications.

16. Tried connecting Oculus headset and sensors to every possible combination of USB ports.

This has taken many hours but still crashes repeatedly when using Oculus Rift.

Playing in desktop mode works fine, even at 'ultra' so I have taken to doing this - but the game experience is nowhere near as good. This supports my view that it is not a memory problem.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Could you provice new dxdiag output after you reinstalled the OS? Did you get rid of the weird other audio driver in the process?

Dxdiag attached. Yes - I haven't reinstalled the Audials software so the weird driver has gone.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Considering this is a fresh installation and you already have one of the more generic BSoD in the error logs (try BlueScreenView for more information), along with several system component crashes, a crash of the nvidia control panel, and this little precious
    Code:
    +++ WER7 +++:
    Fault bucket 129609909285, type 5
    Event Name: CLR20r3
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: LUPS3RZREQPQTDNLSOTKWQUA3IFNBW3D
    P2: 3.2.0.4834
    P3: 59fc6d89
    P4: System.Management
    P5: 4.7.2556.0
    P6: 59b83606
    P7: 25c
    P8: 118
    P9: PSZQOADHX1U5ZAHBHOHGHLDGIY4QIXHX
    P10:
    I would say your system generally needs help.