Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Results 121 to 134 of 134

Thread: An option for feathers ?...

  1. #121
    Originally Posted by dLimith View Post (Source)
    haha PCMR4Life, your words made me laugh. "The feathered dinosaur cult" XD

    ps. I wouldn't buy the game if all the dinosaurs came with feathers and I could not turn it off. I would absolutely hate that! Glad this won't be the case
    I would be in the same most likely or I just wouldn't have the feathered ones in my park. Cause if I wanted to tend to a bunch of chickens I would go play Star Dew Valley.

  2. #122
    Originally Posted by PyrotheRaptor View Post (Source)
    It's exactly what I said, you don't want just to see them in the game, even if the lore here can't be against feathers, you just want to try to find any excuse for don't see your nightmare happened
    and even if all dinosaurs don't had feathers, we already know that all Coelurosaurian theropods (and maybe more theropods family) had feathers, and we find feathers on some ornithischians (Heterodontosaurids, ornithopods and ceratopsians) so why this can't be, even just a mutation, even if this not scientificaly accurate ... but it's no use to talk with scared people, they will obligatory find an excuse about everything I talked so, I already cancel my pre-order anyway, this game is already not a dino game
    Originally Posted by PyrotheRaptor View Post (Source)
    it's just I don't understand why everyone hate feathers like that, even if in the movie lore this is completly forbidden (I follow the movies so I know where is the problem), why just you deprive people of something while even if this will be in option in the game you can do what you want without use feathers on your dinos ?...
    Originally Posted by PCMR4Life View Post (Source)
    I would be in the same most likely or I just wouldn't have the feathered ones in my park. Cause if I wanted to tend to a bunch of chickens I would go play Star Dew Valley.
    I love that game. I would join the cult of no feathers if we got badges and bi weekly meetings to discuss the previous weeks meetings

  3. #123
    For those who haven't seen it - watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsrDeGnqWeY

    Jack Horner's presentation at Frontier Expo 2017 which was awesome.

    To paraphrase, he pointed out to Spielberg that they should have feathers (and be much smaller), but then what's scary about a chicken?

    Worth a watch.

  4. #124
    Originally Posted by Slopey View Post (Source)
    For those who haven't seen it - watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsrDeGnqWeY

    Jack Honer's presentation at Frontier Expo 2017 which was awesome.

    To paraphrase, he pointed out to Spielberg that they should have feathers (and be much smaller), but then what's scary about a chicken?

    Worth a watch.
    Cool I didn't know this existed! I'll give it a watch some time.

  5. #125
    Personally, I find the idea that these dinosaurs can’t have a 100% accurate portrayal to be very realistic. After all these animals have had their genes heavily modified; they have a variety of modern animal DNA spliced with the ancient dinosaur DNA in order to bring them back to life, thus as a result, genetic anomalies (null alleles) are to be expected such as the lack of feathers.

    But that doesn’t mean I am opposed to having a comparatively more accurate portrayal of the dinosaurs for JWE, after all species such as Edmontosaurus and Suchomimus are faithfully recreated. I'm hoping that Frontier will continue to be inspired by Julius Csotoyni's artwork and will have created more brightly coloured and striped skins as an option for players to choose for their dinosaurs, and even inspired by the JP franchise to make subtle anatomical differences such as JP///'s Velociraptor.

  6. #126
    Originally Posted by Slopey View Post (Source)
    For those who haven't seen it - watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsrDeGnqWeY

    Jack Horner's presentation at Frontier Expo 2017 which was awesome.

    To paraphrase, he pointed out to Spielberg that they should have feathers (and be much smaller), but then what's scary about a chicken?

    Worth a watch.
    Well that's the view of Jack Horner on what he believes dinosaurs should look like and he probably has other paleontologists that follow him.
    I also noticed that he was sure that a T-Rex was a scavenger, well I have a video lecture from David Hone and he specializes in Tyrannosaurus, he clearly stated that Tyrannosaurus was both predator and scavenger and he showed proof of both.
    He did also say that he was sure that they had feathers but he wasn't sure how much and that they would look more fuzzy not like bird feathers.
    You can watch his lecture How the Tyrannosaurs Ruled the World given at the royal institution:



    Than there is the finding by paleontologist Jason Bittel, he actually found T-Rex and Albertosaurus skin fossils and both were scaled and didn't have any proof of feathers.
    This was published by Smithsonian https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ays-180963603/

    What I mean to say with this is that three different paleontologists have three different opinions about T-Rex and probably other dinosaurs in general.
    This is a debate that is still going on and nobody is 100% sure about what they looked like and if they had feathers and some aren't even sure if the T-Rex was a scavenger or predator while they were in fact both (proven by David Hone).

    But I do agree that the dinosaurs we see in Jurassic park and Jurassic world are most likely not what they looked like, the fact is we will probably never know what they really looked like.
    That's why I rather have the dinosaurs in the game to look like the Jurassic park/world ones, because those are the ones we all fell in love with and that they not suddenly look totally different because 33% of the paleontologists want them to look like scavenging chickens but still the other 66% have another opinion about what they looked like.

  7. #127
    Just putting it out there for discussion is all - I'm not well versed in the topic, but I was at Jack's presentation hence thought I'd mention it (as it was at FX).

  8. #128
    Originally Posted by Slopey View Post (Source)
    Just putting it out there for discussion is all - I'm not well versed in the topic, but I was at Jack's presentation hence thought I'd mention it (as it was at FX).
    And I appreciate that, I watched it but I just wanted to show that three world renowned paleontologists can have three different opinions about the T-Rex and if they had fuzzy feathers or scales or maybe both.

  9. #129
    Originally Posted by Lora Craft69 View Post (Source)
    And I appreciate that, I watched it but I just wanted to show that three world renowned paleontologists can have three different opinions about the T-Rex and if they had fuzzy feathers or scales or maybe both.
    Actually if is impossible that scales and feathers coexist, because they are phylogenetically the same. So there are eithers feathers or scales. Since scales are proven on later Tyrannosaurs we know for a fact that they had scales. Sometimes it is simpler than one might think.

  10. #130
    Originally Posted by T.rex View Post (Source)
    Actually if is impossible that scales and feathers coexist, because they are phylogenetically the same. So there are eithers feathers or scales. Since scales are proven on later Tyrannosaurs we know for a fact that they had scales. Sometimes it is simpler than one might think.
    I'm pretty sure that is not the current understanding for feathers and scales, at all. Basically we need a better understanding of Juravenator before we can make that claim.

  11. #131
    Originally Posted by T.rex View Post (Source)
    Actually if is impossible that scales and feathers coexist, because they are phylogenetically the same. So there are eithers feathers or scales. Since scales are proven on later Tyrannosaurs we know for a fact that they had scales. Sometimes it is simpler than one might think.
    Well, that's not entirely true, about feathers not coexisting with scales or whathaveyou. Modern day 'dinosaurs' have both feathers on their body, and scales on their feet. It may be that the dinos had feathers on some parts of the body, and scales on others.

    Anyhoo, what I don't get is why people are so very opposed to the OPTION, not standardisation, of feathers. Both Indoraptor and Velociraptor displayed feather-like structures in the movies, meaning the dna codes for them are present in the creatures within the canon. I do not see why, with a little gene modding, feathers are impossible, especially when it could fit so nicely in the game's science missions.

    Again, I don't really care about the scientific correctness, I just like the feathers on specific dinos. (And didn't the kid from JP1 mock the Velociraptor for looking like a turkey? Didn't make them any less dangerous.)

  12. #132
    Originally Posted by Dragonychus View Post (Source)
    Well, that's not entirely true, about feathers not coexisting with scales or whathaveyou. Modern day 'dinosaurs' have both feathers on their body, and scales on their feet. It may be that the dinos had feathers on some parts of the body, and scales on others.

    Anyhoo, what I don't get is why people are so very opposed to the OPTION, not standardisation, of feathers. Both Indoraptor and Velociraptor displayed feather-like structures in the movies, meaning the dna codes for them are present in the creatures within the canon. I do not see why, with a little gene modding, feathers are impossible, especially when it could fit so nicely in the game's science missions.

    Again, I don't really care about the scientific correctness, I just like the feathers on specific dinos. (And didn't the kid from JP1 mock the Velociraptor for looking like a turkey? Didn't make them any less dangerous.)
    No one here as far as I know is opposed to optional feathers. The key word being optional. But it seems like some people here would force them onto players if they had the chance. Also some don't seem to understand that it's not our decision to make. Frontier is following JP lore which says no feathered Dinosaurs. So if you are against feathers on Dinosaurs or not they have basically no chance of being in the game.

  13. #133
    Originally Posted by PCMR4Life View Post (Source)
    No one here as far as I know is opposed to optional feathers. The key word being optional. But it seems like some people here would force them onto players if they had the chance. Also some don't seem to understand that it's not our decision to make. Frontier is following JP lore which says no feathered Dinosaurs. So if you are against feathers on Dinosaurs or not they have basically no chance of being in the game.
    Ok, then I misinterpreted some things being said. I did see the comment about feathers not being in the game (which I still think is a shame, but so be it), but I was just trying to understand others' motivations for apparently being against the idea entirely. Glad to have that sorted.

  14. #134
    I am not a paleontologist but I'm not sure I can say that all dinausaurs had feathers..

    in my opinion only some skeletons of some have been discovered with feathers and certainly the first ones mainly.. future generations have lost their feathers.. maybe this only affects the smaller specimens.

    that the Archeopteryx had feathers ok .. but that the diplodocus I have doubt.

    today there are ostriches .. and elephants .. so in my opinion it's the same with the dinosaurs .. some feathered families and others who have lost or never known them.

    so I prefer to put some dinosaurs with feathers (which we are sure) .. rather than an option to put feathers on all. I find it more realistic.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789