Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 212425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Distant World 2: What Ship are you Bringing and Why?

Originally Posted by Livyathan View Post (Source)
    I signed up this afternoon and this will be my first DW trip. I've been to Colonia 4 times, Sag A* 3 times and some of the places near Sag A*. But, this will be my first trip of this sort and I'm hoping to be an Explorer and a Fuel Rat secondary but also to be as much assistance to others as I possibly can be.

Can any of you old hats give me a bit of a pointer with regards to a build for an Anaconda please? I'll be grinding my ample bottom off for the next couple of weeks so I hope to have plenty of materials so this is the build I was looking at >>>

https://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda?...NES%20Viatorem
    - A rated power plant, always. You can also downsize it a bit. Exploration ship doesnt require that much power and you can always turn off modules which are not needed. For example 5A with low emissions mod is more than enough.
    What mod to put in to PP is personal preference. I like to use low emissions mod always as i like cool running ships and i hate ships which turn out to water kettles during scooping.
    - 5D thrusters. 7D's has much weight and you will manage with smaller ones
    - Power distributor also to smaller D rated. You can put engine focused mod if you go low as 4D or smaller to get boost.
    - AFMU. You only need one.
    - Fuel transfer limpet contorller. I would go with 1D and in any case that 5A is overkill.
    - Repair controller. 1D also here. That might have personal preferences but the aim is to drop the dead weight.
    - ADS is built-in module from 3.3 onwards, not needed.

Otherwise, looking good.

I signed up this afternoon and this will be my first DW trip. I've been to Colonia 4 times, Sag A* 3 times and some of the places near Sag A*. But, this will be my first trip of this sort and I'm hoping to be an Explorer and a Fuel Rat secondary but also to be as much assistance to others as I possibly can be.

Can any of you old hats give me a bit of a pointer with regards to a build for an Anaconda please? I'll be grinding my ample bottom off for the next couple of weeks so I hope to have plenty of materials so this is the build I was looking at >>>

I made some changes to your build, I'm not saying that is perfect, but you may have a look and think about it.

EDIT: This build is based on my preferences, I don't feel safe with smaller thrusters, I like a bit more power on the engines for boost and I was a 2x AFMU user, but nowadays I tend to use only one (4A max).

Thanks for the replies.

With regards to the shields (I always knew I'd downgrade them) as I can use 4D, that will free up a G5 module rack. Am I better off changing that to a Cargo rack so I can carry extra limpets? I intend to carry enough materials for it not to be too much of an issue but I'm also conscious of 'weight' and I'll also be carrying enough to collect materials whilst I'm out there.

Originally Posted by Der Zeitgeist View Post (Source)
    By the way, during the expedition, is there any conceivable reason to go with anything bigger than 1D limpet controllers for refuel and repair?
    Originally Posted by Henkka77 View Post (Source)
    No.
    Yes. It's entirely up to you, but if you want to help with repair/refuel of other people in the expedition (a fleet support role), it might go faster with more and longer-lasting limpets. But as an emergency feature, or just for occasional use, no, there's no real need to go above 1D.

Originally Posted by Orvidius View Post (Source)
    Yes. It's entirely up to you, but if you want to help with repair/refuel of other people in the expedition (a fleet support role), it might go faster with more and longer-lasting limpets. But as an emergency feature, or just for occasional use, no, there's no real need to go above 1D.
    This also applies to me I guess. I want to assist with the fleet when I can so what would be advisable with regards to limpet controllers? Currently I have 1D fuel and 1D repair fitted.

This also applies to me I guess. I want to assist with the fleet when I can so what would be advisable with regards to limpet controllers? Currently I have 1D fuel and 1D repair fitted.
    I guess it comes down to how much use you'll expect to get out of them. But 3D is also a decent option, since those can run limpets in pairs, with longer operational time. For instance, on the repair limpet wiki page it says that the 3D repair limpets will restore about 3x as much hull as the 1D, in addition to being able to launch 2 at a time (though I think that means repairing two ships at once, rather than 2 limpets onto a target).

Granted, 3D controllers are about 1.5 tons heavier than 1D, but on a large ship that isn't too bad.

Here is the build im going to run. You can gain a few more LY if you down rate some of the core modules from A to D. With this build I have to try to overheat it.

As for what ship I will be bringing, that would be my anaconda Gloria Coelis.

https://inara.cz/cmdr-fleet/2238/136586/

As for the why, there are 2 different answers:

1) Gaming aspect: I love the ship. She's gorgeous, and we've been together for a long time now, she'll take me on this. She's got legs, she knows how to use them...Even with an SRV bay, there is no place that is reachable by human technology (at least by player owned ships) that she cannot get to.

2) Role play aspect: Anaconda is HUGE; something on the order of 500 feet long, and almost 200 feet wide. If I am going to be stuck inside a ship for 6 months to a year (if not more), then I want a ship in which my character can actually get out of her chair and walk around. The anaconda has that in spades. There is room inside for not 1, but 2 or 3 VERY spacious crew quarters cabins, a lounge (at the big window in the bow), a SIZABLE galley (not to mention actual SPACE to STORE 6+ months worth of provisions...no intention of living on food cartridges the entire time). There is also space for a small gym, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, given that she IS, after all, an exploration and research vessel, a small laboratory.

There are down sides however:
    Cannot boost
    Not the best view...not the worst, but not the best.
    Takes a solid AU to make a 180 in supercruise if you overshoot.
    It CAN be difficult at times to find a large enough flat spot to land.

Thank you everyone for the tips and advice. It's greatly appreciated

Originally Posted by Maia Posidana View Post (Source)
    As for what ship I will be bringing, that would be my anaconda Gloria Coelis.

https://inara.cz/cmdr-fleet/2238/136586/
    I'd swap a 6A for one of the 1A AFMU (personally I'd just ditch the second AFMU altogether and go 6A alone but you have module slots to spare); zero weight gain and way faster repair.

For myself I like the Anaconda Mary-Sue capability in preference to range*:

https://s.orbis.zone/wm5 [edit because I A'd the limpet controllers]

*if I need a jump over 40ly without a star I can scoop I'm covered with jumponium to 60ly multiple hops, otherwise I got systems to scan and leapfrogging them isn't going to add to my database; I only envision using 60ly in rescue situations

My Python currently. I may or may not add mining lasers. Not so much for myself, but for providing assistance if needbe, which is also what the limpets are for.

https://s.orbis.zone/wjr

I'm bringing my CCN-EV Anathema. A bit of an odd duck for explorer builds.

Ship
    Krait Mk II

Core Internals

Hull:
    Military Grade Composite (Lightweight Grade 2 Deep Plating)
    Power Plant: 5A Power Plant (Overcharged Grade 2 Stripped Down)
    Thrusters: 6A Thrusters (Dirty Grade 3)
    FSD: 5A Frame Shift Drive (Increased Range Grade 5 Mass Manager)
    Life Support: 4A Life Support
    Power Distributor: 7A Power Distributor (Engine Focused Grade 3 Stripped Down)
    Sensors: 6D Sensors (Lightweight Grade 2)
    Fuel Tank: 5C Fuel Tank

Optional Internals
    6A Fuel Scoop
    6A Shield Generator (Reinforced Grade 4 Stripped Down)
    5C Fuel Tank
    5H Guardian Frame Shift Drive Booster
    4G Planetary Vehicle Hanger
    3A AFMU
    3A AFMU
    1C DSS (Long Range Grade 5)

Utility Mounts
    0I Heat Sink Launcher
    0I Heat Sink Launcher

Speed/Boost: 351/482
    Jump Range Max/Laden/Total Laden: 43.82Ly/40.84Ly/502.48Ly
    Shield: 462MJ
    Integrity:​ 815

Originally Posted by ShadowWolf Kell View Post (Source)
    My Python currently. I may or may not add mining lasers. Not so much for myself, but for providing assistance if needbe, which is also what the limpets are for.

https://s.orbis.zone/wjr
    That's a very similar build to mine. Have you considered switching the slots for your limpet controller and SRV hangar? You could carry four SRVs instead of two and will lose less than one LY of jump range.

Odd but I have at least 4 viable ships to choose from..maybe 5 after the next update...what to use eh!

I have massively rethought this after BETA. DBE is now looking like an actual sensible option.

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 212425262728 ... LastLast