Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 58910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Distant World 2: What Ship are you Bringing and Why?

The boosters have been fixed for a week.

Originally Posted by Jackie Silver View Post (Source)
    Oh, that's easy, they need to replace the front end with a bubble canopy.

"Lakon: adding MOAR STRUTS since the dawn of starflight."
    Well, good point, the turtlehead-poking-out-of-the-water canopy is certainly a big drawback.

Well I'm sticking to my initial, perhaps overly enthusiastic decision, of my Cobra Mk IV, the 'RT LMi'. The addition of the G-boosters might get it to an acceptable range for distant jumps, but that means sacrificing an internal space that I really wanted to keep for some limpet function, be it repair or fuel. The extra internals being a good reason, I thought, to go with the Mk IV. To be, like you know, helpful, I dunno.. Though, now that everyone and his/her aunt Josephine and uncle Fester has a Krait Anaconda and can carry it all, it starts to feel redundant.

Anyway as I said, I think I stay loyal to the Cobra. Maybe just tune up the speed a few notches, and it'll be fine. And I actually like the stock, dark red paint job.

Originally Posted by optimal_909 View Post (Source)
    Well, good point, the turtlehead-poking-out-of-the-water canopy is certainly a big drawback.
    That's subjective and depends on your tastes though. For example, I don't really like those where it feels like you're just sitting on a balcony, but the Krait is still better than the Asp in this regard. Not by much though.
    Some also like the lived-in feeling of the ship, what with the duct-taped cables and the ones ran through a hatch, but I don't. I look around and it looks like I bought a used ship, not a brand new one.
    I was at first undecided whether I should change my ship on the roster here to a Krait, but after 500 or so jumps, I've decided I won't.

Ok guys, I've officially decided, I am bringing a Python. Why?

Cockpit cockpit cockpit.

I have spend the last 2 years building up to a dream gaming room: Vive and CV1, a PC and a laptop. My wife will be joining me on DW2 in my second seat, so I want it to be a good one. The Python cockpit is perfect for this. Firstly, it's luxury. Really feels like being in the front of a very good RV. Secondly, the seats are side by side so I won't feel like I am giving a taxi service. Lastly, it's dark and atmospheric. I really love the python cockpit.

Downside is no SLF. However, I think so long as I can find a good wingmate who is bringing SLF that I can use whenever I feel like, then it should be ok.

I conluded this after taking your advice on the Sudden Mystery Expedition and am still always open to advice!

Originally Posted by drkaii View Post (Source)
    Ok guys, I've officially decided, I am bringing a Python.
    Great, another Python pilot! If it's good enough for Dr. Kaii, it will be good enough for me.

I was thinking about switching over to a Krait, but that wouldn't have been able to serve as a fleet support ship with limpets due to a lack of modules compared to the Python.

I want to bring a majestic class... but I'm afraid I can't. :/

Originally Posted by oscarmr View Post (Source)
    Is the problem of jumping with the guardian booster solved?
    Originally Posted by WR3ND View Post (Source)
    The last I heard it isn't working yet with jumponium or maybe also star boosts, but otherwise I think it is.
    It was fixed at the end of last week. I've been doing plenty of neutron boosts with it since, but haven't needed jumponium yet, so I haven't tested that part. Since one is definitely working, it's probably safe to assume the other is too.

EDIT: Unless someone here gets to it first, tonight I may just do a jumponium boost anyway, to test it out.

Originally Posted by Der Zeitgeist View Post (Source)
    Great, another Python pilot! If it's good enough for Dr. Kaii, it will be good enough for me.

I was thinking about switching over to a Krait, but that wouldn't have been able to serve as a fleet support ship with limpets due to a lack of modules compared to the Python.
    That being said, looking like Erimus isn't bringing SLFs either, so I am in need of a wing mate with fighters

Originally Posted by Orvidius View Post (Source)
    It was fixed at the end of last week. I've been doing plenty of neutron boosts with it since, but haven't needed jumponium yet, so I haven't tested that part. Since one is definitely working, it's probably safe to assume the other is too.

EDIT: Unless someone here gets to it first, tonight I may just do a jumponium boost anyway, to test it out.
    It works with jumponium. I had to make a couple of injected jumps toward the end of the DW2 Mystery Expedition, and the resulting numbers checked out.

That being said, looking like Erimus isn't bringing SLFs either, so I am in need of a wing mate with fighters
    I may still reconsider the Python as we get into further updates this Season. If they change the fitting logic of different exploration modules like scanners, which may result in overall less modules needed for the same functions, the Krait may also be sufficient.

Ok guys, I've officially decided, I am bringing a Python. Why?

Cockpit cockpit cockpit.

I have spend the last 2 years building up to a dream gaming room: Vive and CV1, a PC and a laptop. My wife will be joining me on DW2 in my second seat, so I want it to be a good one. The Python cockpit is perfect for this. Firstly, it's luxury. Really feels like being in the front of a very good RV. Secondly, the seats are side by side so I won't feel like I am giving a taxi service. Lastly, it's dark and atmospheric. I really love the python cockpit.

Downside is no SLF. However, I think so long as I can find a good wingmate who is bringing SLF that I can use whenever I feel like, then it should be ok.

I conluded this after taking your advice on the Sudden Mystery Expedition and am still always open to advice!
    I've about concluded the same. The SLF bay on the Krait cuts into jump range difference with the Python by a significant chunk too. I love the Python's sleak and dark cockpit.

The exterior isn't bad either. She looks good from any angle.

I've spent a decent amount of time exploring with the Krait. 7000ly worth thus far. With an SLF bay, the Krait barely gets 1ly over a Python with the same loadout minus the SLF. In otherwords, as long as the SLF is a factor, there's little difference between the Krait and Python using a Guardian FSD booster. The struts with the lights on the Krait cockpit have been driving me nuts. They're right in line with the top of the heading tape. This is from someone who's never had an issue with the FDL cockpit, or any other really.

Krait
    https://s.orbis.zone/yvPyWKz4

Python
    https://s.orbis.zone/CRNy9Sds

Yeah, the Python is a great choice. Back in January I switched to using one as my primary explorer, due to having a nice blend of internals, jump range, and steering. The cockpit is one of the nicest in the game, especially for VR, since it has lots of dark non-reflective surfaces, and yet has plenty of detail.

However, 3.0 came along and sent my spiraling on ship choices. I started to miss having a Lakon cockpit, with wide angle views, particularly downward. The T7 got buffed to be the same, if not a hair better than the Python in a similar exploration config (for a single pilot, of course, with no multicrew). I also gave the T6 a try, with similar jump range, but much quicker and more nimble on thrusters than anything I could do with the T7. But with fewer slots, it was hard to justify over just using an AspX, so I switched back to the T7. If multicrew had become a consideration, or the attractiveness of the interior (or exterior for that matter), I might have gone back to the Python too.

But since we now have the Krait, which has decent downward views, looks cool, has solid internals, and jumps well enough, I have the ship I need now. And I love the lived-in look of the interior too.

------

As an aside, I've updated the "ship templates" on EDastro.com. Now that Coriolis has the FSD Boosters, I reworked all of the sample ships with some simple rules for module priority. This is all described on the site, but the upshot is that only ships with 7+ unrestricted optional slots have the FSD Booster, because I prioritized things like shields, SRV, and AFMU ahead of the booster. With those rules, the AspX and the Krait have jumped ahead of the DBX for jump range, since the DBX doesn't have room for the booster:

https://edastro.com/exploration/#ships

Originally Posted by Orvidius View Post (Source)
    Yeah, the Python is a great choice. Back in January I switched to using one as my primary explorer, due to having a nice blend of internals, jump range, and steering. The cockpit is one of the nicest in the game, especially for VR, since it has lots of dark non-reflective surfaces, and yet has plenty of detail.

However, 3.0 came along and sent my spiraling on ship choices. I started to miss having a Lakon cockpit, with wide angle views, particularly downward. The T7 got buffed to be the same, if not a hair better than the Python in a similar exploration config (for a single pilot, of course, with no multicrew). I also gave the T6 a try, with similar jump range, but much quicker and more nimble on thrusters than anything I could do with the T7. But with fewer slots, it was hard to justify over just using an AspX, so I switched back to the T7. If multicrew had become a consideration, or the attractiveness of the interior (or exterior for that matter), I might have gone back to the Python too.

But since we now have the Krait, which has decent downward views, looks cool, has solid internals, and jumps well enough, I have the ship I need now. And I love the lived-in look of the interior too.

------

As an aside, I've updated the "ship templates" on EDastro.com. Now that Coriolis has the FSD Boosters, I reworked all of the sample ships with some simple rules for module priority. This is all described on the site, but the upshot is that only ships with 7+ unrestricted optional slots have the FSD Booster, because I prioritized things like shields, SRV, and AFMU ahead of the booster. With those rules, the AspX and the Krait have jumped ahead of the DBX for jump range, since the DBX doesn't have room for the booster:

https://edastro.com/exploration/#ships
    Kind of surprised the Keelback is so low. Last time I fiddled with it, it was comparable to a T6 though not as maneuverable. Good range, okay handling, similar cockpit view and a decent mix of internals. I found it far more viable for exploration than for combat in my testing during the betas.

I also love the externals of the Python. Of all the ships (except maybe some of Gutamaya's), it really feels like how I envisioned proper spacecraft would be like, it feels right. It has the triangle shape, and it almost feels like a beefed up futuristic version of a NASA Shuttle. That triangular shape is really part of it, in fact pretty much any angle you look at it, you are looking at a triangle.

I also love the externals of the Python. Of all the ships (except maybe some of Gutamaya's), it really feels like how I envisioned proper spacecraft would be like, it feels right. It has the triangle shape, and it almost feels like a beefed up futuristic version of a NASA Shuttle. That triangular shape is really part of it, in fact pretty much any angle you look at it, you are looking at a triangle.
    I thought the same thing, which is why I did this. The FDL falls into that category as well.

The only reason I swapped to the Squadron paint is because the Python's the Millenium Falcon of ED and the squadron paint matches that perfectly.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 58910111215 ... LastLast