Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7101112
Results 166 to 179 of 179

Thread: Shakespeare.

  1. #166
    Originally Posted by Rob At Work View Post (Source)
    They are teaching "The Gruffalo" in schools now.
    Originally Posted by Spacebaboy View Post (Source)
    And so they should. It's a brilliant book.

    But it's taught to five and six year olds. I don't think Shakespeare is appropriate for that age range, do you?
    I just looked it up - it sounds like a brilliant story.

    From what I can glean from the wikipedia article, the moral of the story is to be confident and assertive. Sounds like a solid lesson to teach kids.

  2. #167
    Originally Posted by vindelanos View Post (Source)
    I love Hamlet. I was typing up the bedchamber scene because it's my favorite part, but decided that to be or not to be was more poignant.



    Thanks, man!
    I had Henry V, rammed down my throat, by my step-father. The Great hounds; in their slips, await.....

    Glad to say that 40 years later; I might have forgotten it.

  3. #168
    Originally Posted by Arry View Post (Source)
    I had Henry V, rammed down my throat, by my step-father. The Great hounds; in their slips, await.....

    Glad to say that 40 years later; I might have forgotten it.
    It's funny how brutal some of his language can be...

    Blood and destruction shall be so in use
    And dreadful objects so familiar
    That mothers shall but smile when they behold
    Their infants quarter'd with the hands of war;

    .............


    Ha!
    'Swounds, I should take it, for it cannot be
    But I am pigeon-livered and lack gall
    To make oppression bitter, or ere this
    I should have fatted all the region kites
    With this slave’s offal. Bloody, bawdy villain!

    (Translation OP: If I weren't such a coward I would have, by now, gutted this man and let the birds feast on his entrails.)

    You can't tell me that ain't cool.

  4. #169
    Originally Posted by Sir.Tj View Post (Source)
    Don't kick a dog up the bum when you've got your "Hand" in it's mouth.. (Did I do that right?)
    Those slings and arrows will get yer every time!

  5. #170
    Originally Posted by Manticore View Post (Source)
    No; and you didn't answer the question.

    I don't see it that way at all. I am looking for statistical significance. People are talking about "scholastic" systems so where are they in the system.

    Does anyone in this thread have any relevant qualifications at all?
    Because the question is pointless? First, you hand wave away the facts I asserted about how he's different, while failing to deliver any facts about why they're alike other than popularity. And then ask if anyone has any qualifications at all without providing yours, which is clearly opinion.

    At which point, the conversation becomes meaningless...

  6. #171
    Originally Posted by EDanaII View Post (Source)
    Because the question is pointless? First, you hand wave away the facts I asserted about how he's different, while failing to deliver any facts about why they're alike other than popularity. And then ask if anyone has any qualifications at all without providing yours, which is clearly opinion.

    At which point, the conversation becomes meaningless...
    You still didn't answer the question. Obviously you have no basis for any opinion.

    I actually like Shaky's work but, as attribution error has raised its ugly head here again, it is assumed my comments are somehow negative.

    However I haven't seen any response from anyone (except vindelanos who has provided some suitably tasty quotes) that can charaterise why they have made their assertions.

    You accuse me of making unfounded assedrt6ions yet everything you say remains unsubstantiated.... what conversation?

    Obviously the whole nature of this thread generally is based on school level stuff (yours included; vindelanos and a few others excluded) and has no basis in any Tertiary education (the so-called "scholastic" opinion).

    I suppose it's my fault for talking to school kids........... I really have to laugh it off.


    .............. and I'm done with this thread. I can't see my way to further allowing someone who doesn't know what they're talking about or have a clue about Shakespeare ruin my enjoyment of his works (in two volumes I might add).

  7. #172
    Originally Posted by Manticore View Post (Source)
    Does anyone in this thread have any relevant qualifications at all?
    Do you?

  8. #173
    Did Shakespeare fight space zombies from Mars in any of his books? Been looking for a good sci-fi thriller for a while.

    Edit: apparently there is a censorship on the naming of a certain german political party during WW II. Speaking of remembering history....

  9. #174
    Originally Posted by Demascus View Post (Source)
    Did Shakespeare fight space zombies from Mars in any of his books? Been looking for a good sci-fi thriller for a while.
    Is this good enough?

    https://www.amazon.com/William-Shake...0SHZKBG6G8KS0N

  10. #175
    Originally Posted by EDanaII View Post (Source)
    YES! All of the yes! I owe you a beer.

  11. #176
    Originally Posted by Kurama 1100 View Post (Source)
    Do you?
    Most possibly.........

    Originally Posted by Demascus View Post (Source)
    Did Shakespeare fight space zombies from Mars in any of his books?
    He did fight some forests as I recall.......... I could go some 16th century zombie apocalypse for sure.

  12. #177
    Originally Posted by Demascus View Post (Source)
    Did Shakespeare fight space zombies from Mars in any of his books? Been looking for a good sci-fi thriller for a while.
    Maybe you find the answer in the Klingon Originals or maybe it's just much ado about nothing.


  13. #178
    “To paraphrase Oedipus, Hamlet, Lear, and all those guys, "I wish I had known this some time ago.”
    -Roger Zelazny

    “Oh, if Shakespeare says it, that's all right.”
    - L. Frank Baum


    “Be patient, Ophelia.
    Love,
    Hamlet”
    - Kurt Vonnegut

    “Orr slept. He dreamed. There was no rub.”
    - Ursula K. Le Guin, 'The Lathe of Heaven'

  14. #179

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7101112