Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: What does "o7" mean?

Originally Posted by Rob At Work View Post (Source)
    88 - two fat ladies
    BINGO!

What did I win?

Originally Posted by amigacooke View Post (Source)
    You're not in uniform
    or wearing your hat.

Originally Posted by Rob At Work View Post (Source)
    88 - two fat ladies - now that's not very PC, is it now! sexist I would say,what about the fellas?

What's wrong with being sexy?

Sometimes I wonder, wasn't it "o/" originally and then over the time mutated to "o7" just because it's shorter and many people just forgot the shift key in the heat of the battle?
    But then I'm talking from German keyboard layout where "/" and "7" share the same key (it's 7 + shift). If that's not the case in English layouts I guess I can scrap this theory.

5. This is the last staff post in this thread. #20
    Originally Posted by picommander View Post (Source)
    Sometimes I wonder, wasn't it "o/" originally and then over the time mutated to "o7" just because it's shorter and many people just forgot the shift key in the heat of the battle?
    But then I'm talking from German keyboard layout where "/" and "7" share the same key (it's 7 + shift). If that's not the case in English layouts I guess I can scrap this theory.
    On NA-US keyboards, the 7 is a & when shift is used. Not sure about those other keyboards.

o& must be the troll-face variant of o7.

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    On NA-US keyboards, the 7 is a & when shift is used. Not sure about those other keyboards.

Hehe

Meanwhile I seem to recall that "o/" was the more common salute in other communities but generally not considered as the military variant. Maybe I'm just confusing the two and the German keyboard layout put me on the wrong track...

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)

There's also the Full Rimmer - o@

Edit: Dammit. Ninja'd an age ago...

Originally Posted by picommander View Post (Source)
    Hehe

Meanwhile I seem to recall that "o/" was the more common salute in other communities but generally not considered as the military variant. Maybe I'm just confusing the two and the German keyboard layout put me on the wrong track...
    "o/", depending on which way you think the saluter is facing, looks a little unfortunately close to a certain salute from the first half of the 20th century.

I still say "o7" is physiologically impossible to perform (unless 'your' salute involves placing your forearm on your forehad). "o>" is much closer to a real salute.

Originally Posted by Athan View Post (Source)
    "o>" is much closer to a real salute.
    Kinda looks like a puffin to me.

I guess the Germans made o/ to o7 due to the aforementioned Godwin's law. Could be totally wrong, though.

Anyways, I know both variants and it is community dependent which one is used more often, I think.

As for <o - it could be understood as meaning 'less than zero' aka 'git gud'.

Originally Posted by something View Post (Source)
    I guess the Germans made o/ to o7 due to the aforementioned Godwin's law. Could be totally wrong, though.

Anyways, I know both variants and it is community dependent which one is used more often, I think.

As for <o - it could be understood as meaning 'less than zero' aka 'git gud'.
    If you look at how saluting looks in various countries, you'll see that some look more like <o and some more like o7 - some salute with straight wrist, some with angled one (and yeah, o/ is out of the question. )
    Personally I use o7 because, like you hinted, it is less ambivalent.
    But it isn't perfect, because it suggests saluting with left hand.

When I played EVE Online, you'd see both ... and you'd generally expect to see o7 out of the more combat-oriented players.

It's so commonly used, I just think of it as me saluting another commander and it's from 3rd person view so it IS the right hand and the back of the head. o7

Originally Posted by C4R1TON View Post (Source)
    It's so commonly used, I just think of it as me saluting another commander and it's from 3rd person view so it IS the right hand and the back of the head. o7
    Hahah, well, when you look at it that way...

Originally Posted by Athan View Post (Source)
    "o/", depending on which way you think the saluter is facing, looks a little unfortunately close to a certain salute from the first half of the 20th century.

I still say "o7" is physiologically impossible to perform (unless 'your' salute involves placing your forearm on your forehad). "o>" is much closer to a real salute.
    While <o or o> are more realistic, I still prefer to hear "oh seven, commander" from the Control Tower instead of "less than oh"... That sounds a bit too judgemental and I get that enough from my dog.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast