Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 17202122

Thread: Gankers and countermeasures

Originally Posted by Agony_Aunt View Post (Source)
    They might not need it, but I need it. Ok, in a game like Overwatch, then we are all there for the same thing, pure pew-pew, and no point in roleplay.

In ED though, there is a wider game, a slower pace, and so much more scope for roleplay. If i'm playing ED for the player interactions, i want interactions, not just pew-pew. If someone wants me out of their territory, i want announcements, warning shots, etc. If someone is a pirate i want a ho ho ho and a bottle of rum announcement. The game itself won't provide these announcements, they have to come from the player.

Otherwise the players might as well just be mute murder crazed NPCs with top notch AI and OP ships. If i wanted that, i could petition FD to add such to the game, except it wouldn't add to the gameplay experience for me, and likewise, mute murder hobo players don't add to the gameplay experience for me either.

So, ok, players don't need to RP? Fine, i don't need to play with them either
    You see AA, I used to share a similar sentiment; maybe because I started playing Elite in VR from the get-go, but I REALLY wanted to feel immersed as much as possible and loathed anything that broke suspension of disbelief. And nothing breaks suspension of disbelief like fourth-wall-breaking players who act as gamey gaming baddies, often with a, how to put it, "youthful" antagonistic attitude.

Not that I mind danger in itself, but I used to particularly care about this danger making sense _in context_ and not having the game's atmosphere contaminated by the pack mentality and gang-like culture that often shows in online games.
    Alas, we can put those dreams to rest - it just isn't happening in Elite, with the designers themselves distancing from our uncompromising approach.

Besides, there have been important changes that alleviate the problem significantly: from the first iteration of C&P, which makes ganking newbies less economically sustainable, to the Block feature, to the PvP Hub that gives dedicated PvPers an incentive to engage with like-minded individuals rather than hunting PvE players. And having recently been able to access it, I can only commend the incredible work done with it - FDev owes to Bazinga & co. for doing a stellar job at fixing their game.

I think it's safe to say that today there are plenty of ways to enjoy the game the way we want, and that we should embrace it for what it is rather than stubbornly projecting our own vision of what we think it should be.

Originally Posted by Replicant View Post (Source)
    Who's John Galt?
    Some person in some godawful book written by a horrible person.

Originally Posted by Replicant View Post (Source)
    Who's John Galt?
    The man who believed that A was A, from a story written by a timeless visionary destined to be mischaracterized by millions of people who formulate their opinions of her based on wickipedia entries.

The author's view points are far more inflammatory than the current topic

Originally Posted by jasonbarron View Post (Source)
    The man who believed that A was A, from a story written by a timeless visionary destined to be mischaracterized by millions of people who formulate their opinions of her based on wickipedia entries.

The author's view points are far more inflammatory than the current topic
    My brain hurts

Originally Posted by Kalie View Post (Source)
    Yes, the book is Atlas Shrugged, it was even made into a movie. We got to choose between Aldux Huxley or Ayn Rand for a literature class, it was unanimous to do A Brave New World instead. Of course next year we will probably have to do the other since we will likely have the same teacher.
    Speaking as a man with a deep appreciation for both Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead, I have to say that the movies were painfully bad. Avoid at all costs.

Originally Posted by Kalie View Post (Source)
    Or like the instructor using the answer key out of precalc book ver1 when we were using ver 2 talk about confusion lol. those equations ripped the lips of chickens
    Sounds like the teacher Charlie Bucket had in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Rooks o7

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 17202122