Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Should Community Goals be advertised before they start?

Originally Posted by Cmdr Eran Mintor View Post (Source)
    This is a pretty simple question, do you think community goals should be advertised before they officially begin?
    Yes and no. In the sense of advance notice of the exact type, time and place, no. In the sense of Galnet articles leading up to them and following up on them, yes.

So - and stealing the template here exactly from the way it was done in First Encounters for the couple of CG-like missions there:

1) One or two articles mentioning the requirements or plot elements a few weeks to a week in advance.
    2) The normal CG articles for the week of the CG.
    3) An article a few weeks after the CG describing the effects.

So ... taking as an example the recent Protecting Colonia mining CG:
    1) A few weeks before, have an article interviewing Colonia residents criticising the Council's limited efforts to secure the region, and its perceived weakness to attack by "pirates ... or even Thargoids"
    2) The usual stuff - have the CG to build the security installation
    3) A couple of weeks after, a brief article to state that the Colonia Bastion security installation is now fully operational.

Sometimes these articles might give imprecise hints about the type, location or timing of a CG ... sometimes not. Occasionally there might be articles which aren't related to a CG at all

For something like this week's CGs - which, like the Fed's AI research, are likely to be controversial - the first discussions of the plans in the press should be perhaps months in advance, with three or four articles giving prominent NPCs' opinions - and the number of follow-up articles greater as well.

.... of course, this is probably doubling if not more the workload on the Galnet writing and translating team. There's already been a substantial increase in 3.0 of the use of Galnet - which is good - but there's still a lot more which can be done.

Of course, the question then becomes: having set up a controversial CG, how do you allow opposition to it? The nature of both CGs and Elite: Dangerous more generally makes them extremely difficult to stop.

Originally Posted by jasonbirder View Post (Source)
    Presumably can't be done (advising of CGs in advance) if they're planning Squadron Carriers later in the year...
    Carriers will move Thursday on the server tick over to a destination that's been specified in advance...if they advertise the CG in advance there'd be nothing to stop squadrons moving their Carrier straight to the CG giving them basing, fuel and repair option in system or close by.
    This would structurally disadvantage non-squadron players, which Frontier can't allow for balancing purposes.
    In 99% of cases both the CG system and the neighbouring systems already have a wide range of stations which can be used for basic refuel/repair, so I can't see this being any more than a very marginal advantage if at all.

Compared with the CG advantages already gained by operating in wings (or sometimes even larger groups)
    - quadrupled bounty/bond payouts
    - faster mining prospecting
    - ability to use navlock to significantly speed up station approaches
    - ability to load a rares hauler much faster
    ...all of which are unavailable in Solo or to unsociable players in other modes, and which have not been a problem so far, I can't see having an extra place to dock being all that big an advantage.

What i think is that CG should be a way to grow for ALL factions and not only triple elite faction.
    That would be already a good start.

I think it would be nice to be able to discover CGs in space.

Receive the message: "Congratulations, Commander, you are the first discoverer of Ship Biowaste Sag A to Beagle Point" and such like. Makes for more interesting things to find.

I'd prefer the occasional "super-CG" that lasted a couple of weeks or more, with super bonuses to match...

Originally Posted by Limoncello Lizard View Post (Source)
    If they are going to advertise CGs, FD need to do something to fix the fact that many CGs don't even last the weekend. If you gave players 2 days notice of a bountyhunting CG, it's not unlikely that the CG itself would only run for 5 minutes.

Also... As soon as a CG is announced in advance, there are quite a few players who would immediately flock there to UA bomb and/or force the system into lockdown.
    I wanted to rep you for this comment, but I can't.

I can see this happening to an extent. If you tell people about the CG before it starts, they will just pre-game. They'll collect millions of bounties to hand in the instant it unlocks, or they'll already have a cutter (or maybe more than one) parked at the station, loaded up with the desired commodity, to turn in the instant it unlocks.

However, I don't think it would mean that CGs would finish in 5 minutes. What I do think is that it might just shift the timescale a bit. CGs might finish 2 days earlier on average since they (for all intents and purposes) started 2 days earlier. I don't forsee people putting much more effort into pre-gaming a CG than they would put into it had it been announced the moment it started.

The last part of your post is where I feel the real tangible change this might bring comes from. It would give people who oppose the CG (and perhaps just common salt miners) a chance to UA bomb the station or manipulate the BGS into an unfavorable position. Give the people who oppose the CG for whatever reason more opportunity to interrupt it.

For the OP, I think the only way to get people to "talk politics" about whether a CG is going to be worthy of support is to have two CGs that oppose each other. CGs are a way for players to earn rewards, and as such, the average player is going to participate regardless of if they agree with the lore behind the CG. For the community to show opposition to a CG by not doing it will never happen. There's no way in the current implementation that this CG will fail, regardless of how the community feels about it, because people are going to run on the treadmill for their millions of credits reward (and I couldn't blame them). The only way the community could legitimately shape the lore based on the outcome of CGs is if FD started implementing CGs in a way that two of them oppose each other, and whichever ends first (or has highest tier when time is up) wins.

But to be entirely honest, I'm not sure FD intend for us to shape the lore with CGs. They know people are going to participate, so this CG is just an "interactive vehicle" for their predetermined narrative.

Originally Posted by Belan View Post (Source)
    Seems like a good suggestion, as long as they put the date in the correct format, 4/20/3304. 
    Off topic I know, but if anyone is going to change the date to MM/DD/YY, can we please have time in hh:ss:mm? Thank you!

Originally Posted by Rakaposhi View Post (Source)
    Off topic I know, but if anyone is going to change the date to MM/DD/YY, can we please have time in hh:ss:mm? Thank you!
    Some write the date MM/DD/YY because in spoken word it is typical to say "April thirteenth, two-thousand eighteen." No one says the time of day the way you propose it.

Some great points raised here. Yes, if FDev has no desire for us to influence the story that greatly then I could see no point for this suggestion, but based off of how they try to market their game, I'd think player influenced stories are one great part of their draw.

I'm sure they have a road map for where the story will go but they need to allow flexibility.

Originally Posted by Unknown Zombie View Post (Source)
    Some write the date MM/DD/YY because in spoken word it is typical to say "April thirteenth, two-thousand eighteen." No one says the time of day the way you propose it.
    Spoken word round here would be 13th of April, twenty eighteen (most people switching from 'two thousand and' once we hit 2010) - maintaining the correct date hierarchy order, but then I'm in the UK. Two thousand eighteen without the 'and' is also an Americanism.

11. This is the last staff post in this thread. #26
    Hi folks,

We've had a few internal talks about this and decided against this idea.

Unfortunately, this would lead to commanders preloading items to their ships and gaming the CG's we setup. Especially when said commanders do not visit our forums for information. It simply wouldn't be fair to everyone.

On the flipside, there's always the chance that our QA team comes across an issue before we make the CG's live. So if we were to post something early, there's the chance you could spend all that time jumping to X region and find out that said Y CG isn't even going to be live for the week. When and if that happens, we tend to hold the pending CG back for another time.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    Hi folks,

Unfortunately, this would lead to commanders preloading items to their ships and gaming the CG's we setup. Especially when said commanders do not visit our forums for information. It simply wouldn't be fair to everyone.

On the flipside, there's always the chance that our QA team comes across an issue before we make the CG's live. So if we were to post something early, there's the chance you could spend all that time jumping to X region and find out that said Y CG isn't even going to be live for the week. When and if that happens, we tend to hold the pending CG back for another time.

Thanks
    Sounds like you guys were suggesting mentioning things on the forums, and you are right many players don't frequent them enough to know. What I was suggesting though were galnet articles which any player can see, regardless of console/PC.

Either way I'm happy it's at least something that's been considered.

Perhaps a decent compromise might to to have Galnet post a list of some of the upcoming CGs, just so that people could be made aware of them and be reminded to check the mission-boards every Thursday?

The list could be posted, say, every 3 months and just contain the "highlights" (or, perhaps, some of the CGs FDev is aware will be happening) so we'd know there would be, say, a combat CG or a well-paid trade CG happening fairly soon.

I have to agree with those who're against the idea of announcing specific CGs though.
    The problems would probably outweigh the benefits, both for participants and the dev's.

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    Hi folks,

Thanks
    I see where Brett's coming from about it reflecting badly on FD and looking unprofessional if they were to advertise a CG and then subsequently not do it.

However, I rebut by saying there are already plenty of other things that FD do that look unprofessional. Telling people to check the forums for more information on a patch hours before there's any information available, is unprofessional, for example.

Opening a Focused Feedback Forum and leaving everyone in the lurch, is unprofessional.

And wasn't there an advertised CQC championship a few years ago and never materialised? Unprofessional.

I could go on...

Couldn’t you start front loading bounties, sign up then dump them?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast