Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 691011121316 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Design A Holo-Screen Advert

Originally Posted by Jakester13 View Post (Source)
    What's missing is just a nice bit of old fashioned trust and good faith.
    EXACTLY.
    Something that seems to have gone missing somewhere around the nassforsch advocates discovering the web and franchise as their money trove. Feels like today everyone is guilty of evil scheming unless proven innocent.
    Good manners thrown overboard just Because.

*joining sigh*

Another quickey. Montage background with two lines (center) for 3D projection.

Originally Posted by Jakester13 View Post (Source)
    What's missing is just a nice bit of old fashioned trust and good faith.

Arty person: "Hey, I'm gonna make some artwork and it might go into my favourite game. Cool. If not. pff."

FD: "Nice adverts, CMDRs! We're gonna stick these 3 in the game, thanks everyone. Let's do this again soon!"

Ads appear in game. CMDR sticks them on their design portfolio site. The ad contains the Fuel Rats' slogan. No one bats an eyelid. Cool!

Everyone's happy.

*Sigh*
    Unfortunately the real world is more dangerous even than the game: there are lawyers out there that act like bounty hunters

Originally Posted by nexxo View Post (Source)
    If Fdev doesn't put this advert in it:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/RepentantS...restricted.gif

it's a tragic waste of an opportunity.
    That's cool, but I think the Blade Runner stuff is copyrighted. People could make something similar. Animated Holo-Screens would be cool though.

Originally Posted by Stinja View Post (Source)
    So if the Fuel Rats submitted an entry, and won, could we no longer sell mugs to help pay for the FuelRat website?

As in FDev now "own the rights", and we'd be illegally profiting... That doesn't sound good; but I totally think we need a FR service ad if that is not so.
    If you submit custom art that is used by your organization, and they publish it in the game, and it becomes the property of Frontier, they can (not saying they will) claim a copyright infringement on any other use other than their own.

This is a reality of copyright law, and the UK has similar laws in place that the US has. This is something that needs to be tip-toe'd through very carefully.

My suggestion is to create some art that is not used commercially or anywhere else, just for this use, since the author and/or organization will be giving up their rights to the media.

Originally Posted by Suvi Anwar View Post (Source)
    If you submit custom art that is used by your organization, and they publish it in the game, and it becomes the property of Frontier, they can (not saying they will) claim a copyright infringement on any other use other than their own.

This is a reality of copyright law, and the UK has similar laws in place that the US has. This is something that needs to be tip-toe'd through very carefully.

My suggestion is to create some art that is not used commercially or anywhere else, just for this use, since the author and/or organization will be giving up their rights to the media.

So, let's think this through...

Since the game was released FD has allowed players to use the name "Elite Dangerous" and game, logos, artwork images free of charge and pretty much without restriction. Despite this, you think FD could (if it wished) grab the "Fuel Rats" logo and stop others from using it, simply because it was part of the image Fuel Rats submitted when entering the comp? Seems ridiculous to me.

Anyway, if "Fuel Rats" enter the comp, they are giving FD copyright over the specific image they submit (nothing else...that image alone). The are not giving FD the unrestricted rights to take the "Fuel Rats" logo out of the image and commercially exploit it in any other context or way. Nor are Fuel Rats giving up their right to use the logo in other context or way. They may for example use it in other images unrelated to the comp.

So respectfully, your understanding of copyright law and the argument is flawed.

I'm not a fuel rat. I'm a Pirate.

Im going to enter a Fuel rats logo and claim it as my own.

Hand over 500 platinum in game to stop me.

8. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #158
    Hello Commanders!

Just to answer a few questions I've noticed popping up:

Please submit images in a non compressed file format. Png is ideal.

The way our holographic shader works, the darker a pixel is, the more transparent it is rendered in game. Therefore black (or dark coloured text) probably won't show up very clearly. Light coloured text or elements will show up better, particularly for the foreground image. An example of this would be the Caine Massey mining advert you can see in game already.

Horizontal adverts need to have a pixel resolution of 2048x1024, vertical adverts 1024x2048.

Thank you for the responses so far, we are all very excited to see what our creative community can come up with!

o7,

Simon

No answer about the groups, 3rd party tool, events?...

Originally Posted by Simon Brewer View Post (Source)
    Hello Commanders!

Just to answer a few questions I've noticed popping up:

Please submit images in a non compressed file format. Png is ideal.

The way our holographic shader works, the darker a pixel is, the more transparent it is rendered in game. Therefore black (or dark coloured text) probably won't show up very clearly. Light coloured text or elements will show up better, particularly for the foreground image. An example of this would be the Caine Massey mining advert you can see in game already.

Horizontal adverts need to have a pixel resolution of 2048x1024, vertical adverts 1024x2048.

Thank you for the responses so far, we are all very excited to see what our creative community can come up with!

o7,

Simon
    Is a PSD with layers OK?

About the Fonts: The will be free of use I suppose. You want them attached on the email or just they names?

Last question : the ADs texts have to be in English, isn't it?

Originally Posted by Qohen Leth View Post (Source)
    No answer about the groups, 3rd party tool, events?...
    I think anything that is considered 'transitory' in nature like groups, tools events etc are not considered- simply as if they disappear they become redundant ads in the game.

Originally Posted by Rubbernuke View Post (Source)
    I think anything that is considered 'transitory' in nature like groups, tools events etc are not considered- simply as if they disappear they become redundant ads in the game.
    I know -- but as usual with Frontier, vagueness is the rule. I'd like a clear answer.

Pour les francophones, j'ai fait une synthèse et donné quelques explications pour le concours dans un petit article. En espérant que ça aide
    http://galnet.fr/concours-affiches-elite-dangerous/

Originally Posted by Qohen Leth View Post (Source)
    I know -- but as usual with Frontier, vagueness is the rule. I'd like a clear answer.
    "We’re not looking for faction recruitment posters, but general themes can include exploration, Superpower propaganda, ingame brands, and galaxy-wide initiatives. That said, these rules are flexible and if you have an incredible idea, please feel free to submit it!"

Give it a go if you think it's good enough to submit.

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 691011121316 ... LastLast