Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Scanner Special Effects

Originally Posted by c00ky1970 View Post (Source)
    plus why isn’t this in the suggestions section?
    Because OP is a mod and they don't apply the rules to themselves?

Double standards.

Originally Posted by halcyon View Post (Source)
    Double standards.
    Hardly. He did call it the "proposal discussion" thread. It's not like there aren't plenty of these by the rest of us. At least this one hasn't already been discussed to death.

And for the record, I was joking with my last post.

I want Mr. Lizard's GIF interface.

Originally Posted by Limoncello Lizard View Post (Source)
    I think you are overthinking what has been applied with RNG.

If what is present in a system was determined beforehand (just as all the planetary objects, stations, etc), it would be a brilliant way of doing it.
    Some thoughts:

How far out from the entry point are you going to populate the system with USSs?
    Hutton says you're going to need to fill an awful lot of space, which means an awful lot of USSs.

How are you going to persist them?
    Are they going to be shared across instances, or will each commander get their own set?
    If you're sharing them, then how do they get marked as 'completed'? Nobody wants to drop into a USS to find someone else has already taken all the goodies.

The rare USSs are still going to be rare, which means a lot of flying around to farm the good ones.
    Is this actually going to be any better than flying in a straight line and hoping for the best?

What happens when you've been to all the USSs of the type you like?
    Unless they're persisted across modes, people are going to just mode-swap to refresh, or to get new ones which aren't as far away.

It's easy to say 'it should all be predetermined', but it just raises a new set of questions and a new set of problems.

Oh goddamit.

Long range. Right now we can detect signal sources/etc within 1000ls, have it go up to 10,000ls which is handy in discovering Guardian Ruins/Sites, RES's, etc.

6. This is the last staff post in this thread. #21
    Hardly. He did call it the "proposal discussion" thread. It's not like there aren't plenty of these by the rest of us. At least this one hasn't already been discussed to death.

Actually, the proposal discussion prefix is reserved for Frontier usage only. Am moving this to the suggestions forum.

+ to any suggestion which adds more fuctionality to those 1960s science fiction ship computers.

Adding to this proposal with mode for miners. Which would display your trail on the radar.

Alot of stuff like this should be present in the game. And maybe hidden behind each step of the ranking system, as an upgrade to ship's computer which goes with your status.

One thing I think would be useful wrt USSs: using the discovery scanner upon entering a USS should mark up all the collectibles and display them on your navigation panel. This would make it slightly easier to figure out if there's something you want to chase around with your scoop.

<EDIT>
    Why do I get the feeling that this already exists and that if I ever remembered to look at the CONTACTS tab (instead of the navigation tab) I'd know this?
    </EDIT>

Originally Posted by DrewCarnegie View Post (Source)
    Some thoughts:

How far out from the entry point are you going to populate the system with USSs?
    Hutton says you're going to need to fill an awful lot of space, which means an awful lot of USSs.

How are you going to persist them?
    Are they going to be shared across instances, or will each commander get their own set?
    If you're sharing them, then how do they get marked as 'completed'? Nobody wants to drop into a USS to find someone else has already taken all the goodies.

The rare USSs are still going to be rare, which means a lot of flying around to farm the good ones.
    Is this actually going to be any better than flying in a straight line and hoping for the best?

What happens when you've been to all the USSs of the type you like?
    Unless they're persisted across modes, people are going to just mode-swap to refresh, or to get new ones which aren't as far away.

It's easy to say 'it should all be predetermined', but it just raises a new set of questions and a new set of problems.
    Some very good points. Maybe, in this particular case, RNG is the best way to achieve it.

In particular, on the bit about mode swapping. Anything that encourages mode swapping as a mechanic should be killed with fire.

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    Actually, the proposal discussion prefix is reserved for Frontier usage only.
    I wasn't aware of this, sorry.

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    Actually, the proposal discussion prefix is reserved for Frontier usage only. Am moving this to the suggestions forum.
    Now, it can be properly ignored.

Originally Posted by Ralph Vargr View Post (Source)
    Now, it can be properly ignored.
    No comment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12