Page 36 of 36 First 32343536

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Important Mac announcement

Originally Posted by amigacooke View Post (Source)
    There was a post in the Dangerous Discussions thread, everything else was in the Mac forum which has been closed and archived.
    And here, in this thread, in the News area where it was right at the top.

Originally Posted by Rubbernuke View Post (Source)
    And here, in this thread, in the News area where it was right at the top.
    There's only one topic, I thought it was in Dangerous Discussions, but perhaps it was always here.

I don't check the news area normally as it's about as exciting as the newsletters.

There's only one topic, I thought it was in Dangerous Discussions, but perhaps it was always here.

I don't check the news area normally as it's about as exciting as the newsletters.
    But you can't complain its not there. Plus, how many topics do you need? Its going / gone.

Originally Posted by Rubbernuke View Post (Source)
    But you can't complain its not there. Plus, how many topics do you need? Its going / gone.
    I didn't need more than one as you know, but I didn't claim 'Its been widely and publically announced here in the forums.' Certainly it's been publically announced, but widely?

As with most other matters macOS, Frontier took the same amount of money and offered the minimum amount of service. And then, no service.

Don't concern yourself though, my plan to play Horizons in macOS is up and running and will come to fruition

Originally Posted by Noobilite View Post (Source)
    They really need to stop giving out any ships as exclusives. It's completely unfair to people to not be able to work to earn highly sought after ships.
    They did it once, so I guess you could say they have stopped.

And the Cobra MkIV is not a highly sought after ship.

So you're saying it's Frontier's fault?
    It's not black and white.

6 of one (FD), half a dozen of the other ( Apple ).

Had Apple kept OpenGL up to date on the Mac, FD would have made Horizons for the Mac. This was only possible after Metal 2 was released. There probably aren't enough Mac gamers to justify the expense for Frontier to support Metal 2. Good commercial sense - no need to spend development money on the Mac for a relatively few Mac gamers. Resources are better used elsewhere.

Mac users can use Bootcamp. Simple.

Originally Posted by Stewart_ View Post (Source)
    It's not black and white.

6 of one (FD), half a dozen of the other ( Apple ).

Had Apple kept OpenGL up to date on the Mac, FD would have made Horizons for the Mac. This was only possible after Metal 2 was released. There probably aren't enough Mac gamers to justify the expense for Frontier to support Metal 2. Good commercial sense - no need to spend development money on the Mac for a relatively few Mac gamers. Resources are better used elsewhere.

Mac users can use Bootcamp. Simple.
    Mac users CAN use bootcamp, but I for one will NOT use bootcamp, it's another expense - the OS license, for a company that I do not support willingly.
    Why should the product purchased from FD, advertised as Mac compatible, require me to install a non-native OS on my Mac computer, which is an unecessary task and technical risk (yes I've lost a HDD and had a Mac rebuilt to fix it due to this) that many would for the sake of argument, need to have 3rd party paid support to install.

[/jerk]

I just really don't like bootswitching on a machine that the family use and typically has several users logged on at the same time most of the time.
    I play games on my login without bothering to reboot the machine for months at a time. I just stick to Steam or alternative Mac OS game vendors.
    FD just included themselves out of my list.

Frontier never claimed to or advertised to support Horizons on the Mac. Only the base game of Elite Dangerous was advertised as Mac supported :-).

< / Semantics >

Originally Posted by wazgilbert View Post (Source)
    Why should the product purchased from FD, advertised as Mac compatible

I installed Windows 10 on my MacBook Pro 2011 without issues. The technical risk is actually small. You can install Windows 10 on an external drive too ( if you have a 2012 MacBook Pro or better ) ... but anyway...

Originally Posted by wazgilbert View Post (Source)
    Why should the product purchased from FD, advertised as Mac compatible, require me to install a non-native OS on my Mac computer, which is an unecessary task and technical risk (yes I've lost a HDD and had a Mac rebuilt to fix it due to this) that many would for the sake of argument, need to have 3rd party paid support to install.

I've been a Mac user for over 16 years and still am - they are great machines, but not for games.

That'll be why then...

Funny as F, well worth the watch.