Page 35 of 36 First 3133343536 Last

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Important Mac announcement

Originally Posted by aRJay View Post (Source)
    Not fair on those properly qualified for the Cobra IV, good concept though so instead of the Cobra how about the Panther Clipper as an exclusive compensation ship?
    Already got access to the Cobra IV, but never bought one.

Last night was one of those shall I reboot to play ED, or will something macOS suffice occasions. I lost several hours to Hearts of Iron IV, during which I lost France to Nationalist Spain.

I saw this coming ever since the start of Horizon and the 64-bit version, since MAC and Gaming go together as well as oil and water. Mac has never been good for gaming, and that will never change.

Originally Posted by Justor View Post (Source)
    I saw this coming ever since the start of Horizon and the 64-bit version, since MAC and Gaming go together as well as oil and water. Mac has never been good for gaming, and that will never change.
    macOS has been running 64-bit since at least Mountain Lion which was released in 2012.

I've had a break from Elite for a few months and I come back to a non-functional program in Steam, bit of googling and here I am - This was announced last spring? where's the emails FD? No-one told me the game I paid for was going to just fail to load one day because of an update. Thanks a lot.

Originally Posted by wazgilbert View Post (Source)
    I've had a break from Elite for a few months and I come back to a non-functional program in Steam, bit of googling and here I am - This was announced last spring? where's the emails FD? No-one told me the game I paid for was going to just fail to load one day because of an update. Thanks a lot.
    Its been widely and publically announced here in the forums.

Originally Posted by Rubbernuke View Post (Source)
    There's no benefit in that if you don't use the forums in the first place. I only joined today in order to comment, but I have been using the product for 3 years. I was an original Elite customer from the 80s on the Acorn computers, so I'm quite an old fan. Funnily enough I don't join a forum for every game I own.

There's no benefit in that if you don't use the forums in the first place. I only joined today in order to comment, but I have been using the product for 3 years. I was an original Elite customer from the 80s on the Acorn computers, so I'm quite an old fan. Funnily enough I don't join a forum for every game I own.
    They pretty much announced it everywhere they could (not just on the forums). You can still play but will have to play via bootcamp.

Originally Posted by Justor View Post (Source)
    Reason Mac version was dropped is because of the ancient version of OpenGL - it doesn't have the renders available. Not due to 64bit, which Mac OSX have supported for a long time.

Frontier obviously don't want to migrate to Metal 2. Not enough Mac gamers to justify the expense.

Originally Posted by Stewart_ View Post (Source)
    Frontier obviously don't want to migrate to Metal 2. Not enough Mac gamers to justify the expense.
    So you're saying it's Frontier's fault?

Understandable; only a small percentage of the overall playerbase uses these forums. Where do you normally look for news?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDanger...ite_dangerous/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/35932...0442946250304/

https://massivelyop.com/2018/04/27/e...t-for-the-mac/

https://www.mmorpg.com/elite-dangero...ort-1000048266

https://www.imore.com/elite-dangerou...own-later-year

Originally Posted by amigacooke View Post (Source)
    Already got access to the Cobra IV, but never bought one.

Last night was one of those shall I reboot to play ED, or will something macOS suffice occasions. I lost several hours to Hearts of Iron IV, during which I lost France to Nationalist Spain.
    They really need to stop giving out any ships as exclusives. It's completely unfair to people to not be able to work to earn highly sought after ships. The concepts in games is stupid and unnecessary. They could just give you access to the ship with free endless rebuy or reduced rebuy. I wish they would reverse this with the cobra IV. Even if it's bad. Just give a massively reduced exclusive rebuy to stack with other things for owners who were early backers. I don't know why anyone thinks giving the ship to only a few people is in anyway good and not infuriating to players as a whole. Being a beta tester is just a situation of opportunity and completely unfair to put on that level. Others would have wanted to help but cannot. Even then others might want to get taht ship later and it's very unfair and wrong to make people avoid. Especially if it should be available. Always leave a way for players to work towards something.

Giving the panther clipper exclusively to mac users would be beyond inexcusable! Lowered insurance or something similar could be fine though.

BTW, the multiqoute thing is not working or I'm not using it correctly...

Edit: Here's another idea. Instead of access to the ship also things like free access to all of it's superficial things like paint jobs. Anything specific to the Cobra MK IV would be free to early backers as the game goes forward. Or all things can be freely used from the store on that ship. Even if it's not exclusive to it. Free lights, free cockpit doodads. But just on that ship. They might have to change the store or something for that though. But it's a cool idea to make it special for the user. It's like a luxury things from ship vendors. Wherever you go yo get free anything to make it special superficially.

Something similar could be given to mac users if they can ever play again... maybe pick your favorite ship. Although I guess that would be hard if they can't get in the game.

Originally Posted by amigacooke View Post (Source)
    macOS has been running 64-bit since at least Mountain Lion which was released in 2012.
    Mac OS had partial support for 64bit since 2003 with 10.3 Panther and then in 2007 it's OS 10.5 leapard fully supported 64bit. I rememeber the IBM PowerPC processors. They were superb for there time, but expensive.

I'm sure that was mentioned multiple times in the newsletter that used to be emailed out once a week (it now goes out once ever two weeks).

Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dfire View Post (Source)
    I'm sure that was mentioned multiple times in the newsletter that used to be emailed out once a week (it now goes out once ever two weeks).
    I think it was mentioned once, newsletter #255.

We would like to remind our Mac players that from the launch of Chapter Four, Mac will cease to be supported. However, you will still be able to log into your account on PC (or via Bootcamp).

Originally Posted by Rubbernuke View Post (Source)
    There was a post in the Dangerous Discussions thread, everything else was in the Mac forum which has been closed and archived.