Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Distressing News

Originally Posted by Toumal View Post (Source)
    Doubtful. If they're insectoid in nature, chances are their consciousness works in similar ways and that they have more of a hive mind rather than individuality.
    Alternatively, if they are insectoid, they may well 'think' and do whatever nearby pheromones tell them to. Proverbially spray a thargoid with appropriate 'kill me' pheromones and its erstwhile buddies would shred it as an automatic response. No 'thought' involved.

Originally Posted by Toumal View Post (Source)
    Doubtful. If they're insectoid in nature, chances are their consciousness works in similar ways and that they have more of a hive mind rather than individuality. Kinda like the bugs in Enders Game, who exist as a collective intelligence and thus mistakenly assumed that humans weren't sentient because we are individuals, a concept foreign to the bugs. Only I think the Thargoids are well aware of our individuality, they are just not happy with anyone else sharing the same galaxy with them.

Also communication is by no means a guaranteed method to resolve conflict, especially if your opposition has no interest in peaceful resolution. This is a universal truth that many people these days simply fail to grasp, because they are no longer engaged in fundamental conflict - until it is forced on them by someone else.

"Why does the mosquito bite? Who cares? Just kill it."

The Thargoids may just see us as mosquitos that simply need to be exterminated. In their view, who cares whether we can build spaceships or compose music? It's all mosquito stuff to them.
    I think the mosquito analogy doesn't hold up. I mean, we're a bit more dangerous than mosquitoes. A swarm of thousands or hundreds of thousands of mosquitoes could maybe kill a human, but not just one or two individuals. But one or two of us can kill one of them. But then I do agree they don't think like we do. So you might be somewhat close to right.

Originally Posted by CMDR Dreamstate View Post (Source)
    Contradicts what was found in the new lore, slightly:

3/28) Thargoid Log – Unsuccessful Truce
    This data supports my theory that the Guardians were gifted linguists. At some point after the war with the Thargoids began, the Guardians were forced to make a partial retreat. It seems they were still trying to communicate with the Thargoids, and were reluctant to take up arms against them. Eventually they managed to develop sufficient understanding of the Thargoids’ language to communicate, but it did the Guardians little good. The Thargoids were determined to continue hostilities, and the Guardians were forced to employ more aggressive methods to address the Thargoid threat.

Okay, I think I see why it is confusing: https://community.elitedangerous.com...et/23-MAR-3304

“The Guardians attempted to communicate with the Thargoids, but these efforts ended in failure. They determined that the Thargoids’ survival instincts were so strong that they could not tolerate any potential threat, including the proximity of another space-faring civilisation.”

I assume the Galnet article is meant to mean: they communicated with the Thargoids to try to broker some type of peace, but it ended in failure because the Thargoids wanted their "claimed" planets back.

edit; that, or Galnet is spouting propaganda - which is highly likely! Either way, the Thargoids are big bads - but only because they are so teritorial and are driven by insanely high survival instincts... which leads me to wonder why they stick around in a fight and don't just highwake. I guess they need prep time or all their hearts active to do it. Oh well, who knows *shrugs*
    History is written by the victors. Those poor, poor Guardians only wanted to make friends with the bugs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123