Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 48515253

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Focused Feedback Forum Content Schedule

Must be fun to be a developer these days.

Originally Posted by rootsrat View Post (Source)
    I have a PERFECT solution.

Please give us something definitive, authoritative, functional, thoroughly tested, and complete from day 1, but also iterative and a good first step and we can always fix/expand it later if people use it enough!

Please FDEV?

Different people want different things shocker. Both are reasonable stances to take, there is no need to vilify either view. I'd rather have polished stuff but given the timescale I'll take the iterative steps in the mean time.

Originally Posted by Riverside View Post (Source)
    Different people want different things shocker. Both are reasonable stances to take, there is no need to vilify either view. I'd rather have polished stuff but given the timescale I'll take the iterative steps in the mean time.
    Without iterative development, as much as I sometimes hate its consequences, the game would be still in pre-alpha state and more or less unplayable. Not without a pricey ship store of course.

Nah, it was a lighthearted comment. No ill will there

Originally Posted by picommander View Post (Source)
    Without iterative development, as much as I sometimes hate its consequences, the game would be still in pre-alpha state and more or less unplayable. Not without a pricey ship store of course.
    The two approaches are not mutually exclusive though, one (small) feature can be implemented, then added to with another complementary feature. Improvements can be added to the live game (or a beta) once iterative design raises the quality above an acceptable threshold. It's not a black or white situation but one of balance & continuous feedback.

The feedback loop largely seems to be the issue. Bugs are left in for protracted periods with little to no explanation, and plans for development (the topic of the OP) have little productive direction for the exchange of feedback.

All imo of course

Originally Posted by rootsrat View Post (Source)
    I have a PERFECT solution.

Please give us something definitive, authoritative, functional, thoroughly tested, and complete from day 1, but also iterative and a good first step and we can always fix/expand it later if people use it enough!

Please FDEV?

Yes! Agree. We need it now... over time.

ill come back to the thread later

hurry up FD!!

The two approaches are not mutually exclusive though, one (small) feature can be implemented, then added to with another complementary feature. Improvements can be added to the live game (or a beta) once iterative design raises the quality above an acceptable threshold. It's not a black or white situation but one of balance & continuous feedback.

The feedback loop largely seems to be the issue. Bugs are left in for protracted periods with little to no explanation, and plans for development (the topic of the OP) have little productive direction for the exchange of feedback.

All imo of course
    Can't really disagree here. Problem is that FDev seems to consider our feedback and bug reports in a very iterative manner as well. (not sure what smiley to add here or whether it's funny at all anymore)

Originally Posted by picommander View Post (Source)
    Can't really disagree here. Problem is that FDev seems to consider our feedback and bug reports in a very iterative manner as well. (not sure what smiley to add here or whether it's funny at all anymore)
    Yes to coin a phrase it's gone beyond a joke for me. To the extent that I booked tickets to the Frontier Cologne party based on the contingency that I would need to actually get face to face with someone to get an acknowledgement that they are even aware of several issues that are important to me.

I am tremendously disappointed at the lack of response on some issues while on others the company (Brett C in particular) clearly demonstrates they are quite capable of communicating in an open way about ongoing issues.

Yes to coin a phrase it's gone beyond a joke for me. To the extent that I booked tickets to the Frontier Cologne party based on the contingency that I would need to actually get face to face with someone to get an acknowledgement that they are even aware of several issues that are important to me.

I am tremendously disappointed at the lack of response on some issues while on others the company (Brett C in particular) clearly demonstrates they are quite capable of communicating in an open way about ongoing issues.
    I'm very looking forward to what insights you will bring back to us. Good luck!

I suspect this wide blanket of communication covers an ugly truth which was written here many times. I also wouldn't count on any revelations from the staff, if you get to them even. I suppose with so many salt being harvested here, they will have bodyguards ;-))) Unless they have been working really hard on some development branch we didn't get to see yet, I wouldn't expect any significant changes from Q4 update. It seems to me that they got their wake-up call, Beyond is the answer to that wake-up call, and any bells and whistles are reserved for the paid DLC. Hope so, at least.

From a developer's point: a bug is always desirable to be fixed. It's an anomaly which causes our code to behave in unpredicted and harmful ways. But only a tiny amount of bugs can be fixed after a "facepalm moment" 15 minutes of looking into the code. Usually they either are hard to reproduce in testing environment, or you know what causes them and sadly you also know that it requires a refactor of 20 modules just to make it work as intended. And it cost a load of money (dev time == money). So it goes unfixed and Support is told how to help users encountering the bug if needed. #sadpanda.

Originally Posted by Factabulous View Post (Source)
    Please ignore ppl like this - iterative is best - ED is no Star Citizen
    Maybe they could try releasing a feature fully tested built out balanced and properly integrated into the game, just this once, as an experiment, and do everything else the usual way. I'm OK with Squadrons and fleet carriers starting out as a shell.

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 48515253