Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: I finally got the RAM!

I finally got the RAM!

I don't know how many of you remember, but I had a thread a few weeks ago that a lot of people were replying to. I only had 4GB RAM for my computer and was afraid I wouldn't be able to play the game. However, I finally saved up enough money and bought the RAM today off of NewEgg! I got a 4GB DDR4 stick to add onto my other 4GB and make 8GB, just enough to play. I'm excited and I hope it makes my computer run better! My uncle came over and showed me how to install it when I get it, and educated me a little on what is inside my computer, since I basically knew nothing at all about computer hardware lol.

Congrats! I’m in the same situation too but with my Laptop,I have a MSI laptop and it only had 4 GB ram and I thought it had only one Ram slot so I have to buy a 8 GB ram and replace it with the 4 GB one then through someone telling me my laptop have multiple slots to add another ram stick...all I have to do is buy another 4GB ram stick and add it onto my laptop to make it into 8GB so I can play this game...

Nice to know that! It certainly will run much better with the upgrade! I think you're feeling it already right?

I'm thinking of upgrading my RAM too for this game but the price of RAM seem to skyrocket lately and there's no sign of slowing down in the future......

Anyways, happy gaming guys!

That is good. 4gb of ram seems like it would make games like this be slow. Glad you upgraded.

My uncle installed the RAM today for me. I cannot even explain how great just an extra 4GB is. The difference when I'm playing games now vs before I added the RAM is incredible. My uncle showed me how to see how much RAM I was using while playing a game, so I tested it with a few of the games I play.

I played vanilla Minecraft on my normal settings (fast graphics, 12 render distance), and found out I was using 4GB while playing the game, that's all the RAM I had before. Now that I have 8GB RAM, I can probably play Minecraft on fancy graphics!

I tested my heavily modded version of Minecraft, and the lack of RAM I had before explains why my modded version would constantly lag and freeze. With all the mods I have installed, it takes 7GB to run! Now it runs so, so much smoother and hasn't frozen or lagged once.

I was actually able to PLAY Planet Coaster, no joke. Before I was barely able to play it for a few minutes before it'd freeze and lag like crazy. Found out with 1,800 guests in my park it takes 6.5-7 GB.

Crazy, I had no idea these games actually needed that much RAM! I can say it certainly does make a difference to upgrade RAM. If you are considering purchasing RAM because your games are laggy, freezing, or slow, I would recommend it! Even just an extra 4GB helps!

Thta's Great now seeing your post made me want to upgrade mine more so i can play JWE when it comes out! So far i can run games like Mount and Blade warband and it runs smoothly with 4GB but i can imagine how smoothly i can play the game now on 8GB! I'm also considering buying ARK during the Steam summer sale and an extra 4GB of ram could help me enjoy the games i want more! So thanks for telling us your experience!

Originally Posted by Cloud_Jumper View Post (Source)
    Congrats! I’m in the same situation too but with my Laptop,I have a MSI laptop and it only had 4 GB ram and I thought it had only one Ram slot so I have to buy a 8 GB ram and replace it with the 4 GB one then through someone telling me my laptop have multiple slots to add another ram stick...a.
    Depending on the model of MSI laptop you might even have 4 slots for RAM - 2 under the bottom cover and another 2 under the keyboard. You can ask on the MSI forum.

Great for you! It was most definitely a wise investment. 8GB is the standard these days.

9. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #9
    8GB is indeed the general standard, however 16GB and albeit more rarely, 32GB RAM is beginning to sneak into mainstream at this point.

As for me, i can't live without 64GB of RAM.

Well I was gonna update to 8GB of Ram by adding another 4GB but the guys at the computer store said they only have 8GB Ram slot so I think why not upgrade to 12GB....so that’s how I installed 12GB of Ram to my laptop...I wonder if that’s enough to run this game lol

I feel like I'm still good with my 16. I can play any game on Ultra without any issues. If needed I will upgrade to 32 down the line, but not anytime soon. No need atm.

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    8GB is indeed the general standard, however 16GB and albeit more rarely, 32GB RAM is beginning to sneak into mainstream at this point.

As for me, i can't live without 64GB of RAM.
    That's crazy! What do you actually need 64GB for?

Originally Posted by Cloud_Jumper View Post (Source)
    Well I was gonna update to 8GB of Ram by adding another 4GB but the guys at the computer store said they only have 8GB Ram slot so I think why not upgrade to 12GB....so that’s how I installed 12GB of Ram to my laptop...I wonder if that’s enough to run this game lol
    Great to hear you upgraded!

Out of curiosity, how did you get 12 GB with 2 slots? As far as I'm aware, each slot of RAM has to have an identical amount, so you can have two 4GB, two 8GB, but not an 8GB and a 4GB. I'm not an expert in any way, but that's how I understood it.

14. This is the last staff post in this thread. #14
    Originally Posted by Dinosaur View Post (Source)
    That's crazy! What do you actually need 64GB for?
    Certain games love to use RAM (for example, Cities Skylines). Otherwise, it's great for virtual machines while i work on web related coding.

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    Certain games love to use RAM (for example, Cities Skylines). Otherwise, it's great for virtual machines while i work on web related coding.
    I see. I have Cities Skylines, haven't played it since upgrading my RAM, but with 4GB it would take ages to load, wonder how it would run now!