Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 161920212223 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: SQUAD GOALS: SUGGESTIONS & SUPPORT

I have been trying to keep up with the thread and if this is a duplicated idea, I apologize!

There has been some talk on what Squadrons would bring to the game...more importantly why would anyone join a Squadron?

I understand the underlying demand for a personnel management system and communication platform, entirely built into the game...but I would like to suggest another way for groups to help out our new players.

We have wing profit sharing, I would suggest Squadron profit sharing to occur, also.

If you wing up with a Squadron member, it would be nice to see another % increase in the money given to each member..whether trading, combat bonds, etc.

Suggestions

• A Player should be able to be a member of multiple squadrons and pick and choose which squadron they are interacting with. But only one active squadron at a time.
    • A Squadron must be large enough to support a player group.
    • Player group names for squadrons must be held for the player group to claim for a particular length of time (6 months) or pre-generated and the Squadron leader assign to the primary player group contact.
    • To support the different player group sizes we need to have different options to manage the groups other than one documented.
      • Squad leader is the owner of the group and defines who are officers and who are pilots as suggested. This is appropriate solution for small groups.
      • A Council Mode: Officers can elect a new squad leader - must be an officer, based on time frame or calling for a vote. The squad leader then decides/defines who are officers and pilots as before.
      • Democratic Council Mode: The Council being voted in by the squad members on a regular basis as define in the Squadron setup. The squad leader is then voted on by the council as in the point above then defines roles for officers and pilots as before

• If an Squad leader goes AWOL (not log on to the Squadron) the officers after a reasonable time have the ability to pick a new squad leader.
    • Squadrons must be able to create a flexible hierarchical structure to suit their needs with custom rank names and group name the an officer can lead
      • Ability to give orders to rank below
      • Track the leader/group name on galaxy/system map

• There must be a role that can assign active squadron members to wings
      • Wings can be given names and appear on the squadron galaxy and system map (Blue wing / gold wing etc)

• Management of Squadrons should be outside of Elite Dangerous with it own website to enable flexibility of managing teams
      • Game should query/api website for accurate Squadron data or alternatively the data is send/imported in to elite dangerous on a regular basis ( 3/4 times a day)
      • In game Squadron Communications should be available on the website
      • In game Squadron Communications could be linkable to popular third party communications tools such as Twitter/Discord

• Ability to display the website inside the game in a transparent windows ( this could be a feature where select websites (eddb.io, edam.net, etc.) or future components could be used in game to keep immersion in the game.

I believe that squadrons have the ability to encourage PwP and if developed over time become a way for Player groups to get more organized, own shared assets and if inclined more active in the BSG.

Frontier keep up the good work, it is greatly appreciated.

Cmdr. R. Soak

• Regarding external functionality for squadron chat, any chance of an integration with tools such as Discord? Maybe chat could be offloaded to Discord entirely and just provide an in-game interface to access it directly?
    • I like the idea of a built-in method of application, however it should also be possible to directly invite someone.
    • Regarding fleet carriers, imo the only restriction on owning it should be money. If a squadron of 2 wants to buy one, they should absolutely be able to if they put down enough credits. Ideally there would be different sizes at different prize points to accomodate all kinds of different squadron sizes.
    • Please let us name fleet carriers (with the name printed on the hull) in the same manner as our normal ships.
    • What about squad taxes? In MMOs usually guilds can optional set a tax (usually with a strict upper limit, so the leader can't just go crazy and set it to 100%) in order to finance big expenses, e.g. the fleet carrier. That said, naturally the squadron itself also needs an account with the Bank Of Zaonce for that purpose.
    • I would like to propose a 4th rank, below that of Pilot: Guest. These could be used to do stuff like granting someone fleet carrier docking privileges temporarily without making them an actual full member of the squad.

One more question/suggestion/idea from me...

As someone who plays more or less at random, I'm probably not the main target audience for squadrons (it seems to be geared more towards more hardcore players), but I suspect there are others like myself who like the idea but can't completely commit to guild membership.

My question: is there going to be some sort of way for lone wolves to be able to interact with squadrons? As in, a squadron hires you to do some small task, because all their members are busy meeting their daily BGS goals, or you're a trusted outsider that two squadrons can use to mediate a treaty, or maybe go big, and squadrons can set up community goals in which they trade <something> in exchange for help building <something> or fighting <someone> (maybe other squadrons!)

Quick idea for squad comms ... can we have the ability to create polls?

No biggie and just for fun (it's there of people want to use it) but basically it'd be nice if squad leaders could create polls (e.g. which system to jump to, which CG to take part in, that kind if thing) and members could then vote.

different themed carriers would be nice for example I'm the leader of a piracy faction so it would be cool to have a pirate themed ship decoration etc possibliy giving the owner or leader the ability to put decals and ship paint jobs on it paving the way for more stuff on the store for people to buy. having it more group themed makes it stand out and to make more of a variety of the way they look so I'm not see the same thing all the time. the ability to name your fleet carrier would also be cool

My suggestion would be the inclusion of fighter bays capable of launching maybe 2 or 4 fighters at a time. This would allow squadron member that are far away to be able to telly presence into a fighter during an attack, I'm not sure about other cmdrs but I do not want to be completely tied to the location of my chosen squadron's carrier all the time for fear of it being attached. This would allow me to be an active member of the squadron whilst also engaging in my own goals like exploration, long distance smuggling/trading or material gathering.

Perhaps the pilots allowed to use the bays could be a role selected by the squadron leader, fighters could cost material to build and there could be a spawn timer after death (this basically already exists in the form or rebuilds).

Idea for Upgrading Fleet Carriers

My apologizes, I haven't flushed this completely out yet, but you might be able to run with it.

All upgrades for fleet carriers will use commodities rather than credits to build new features for the ship. This will prevent commanders with fat pockets to fully upgrade their ship at launch. It would also require mining or other things you can't buy with credits.

The leadership will have access to an upgrade panel to make the changes. These upgrades will be for hardpoints, ship size, number of docks, power, fsd, etc. The amounts needed to build anything will be very high, but hopefully this could be designed not to be a major grind.

At creation the carrier will have an empty commodities market and it will be the squads duty to fill it. This feature would require the carrier to be fueled, so the first mission of the squad would be to haul in fuel.

Additional upgrade ideas

Engine Types
    • Bio: food/bio waste could be used as a fuel source.
    • Solar: Huge fuel scoops.
    • Normal: requires commanders to haul in fuel.

Extra Features
    • Agriculture ring- The food section of the commodities market will start to auto fill.
    • Guest landing pads- This will allow commanders outside the squad to land and access the market. Leadership will set prices and demand.
    • Security: Hire NPCs to guard the ship.

...I need to get back to work. hope this isn't a terrible idea.

Love the squadrons idea, I have couple of suggestions. Sorry if they're duplicates, I haven't the time to read the whole 20 pages right now.

1. Home System or Home Station
    Instead of having a carrier perhaps squadrons would like a more permanent home ? Perhaps more than one, depending on squadron size. I've seen several posts asking for squadrons to gain or lose favour with various system powers, this could tie in to that.

2. Rivals
    Allow leadership to specify other squadrons as rivals, so their members show in the HUD as rivals when you target them .

10. This is the last staff post in this thread. #310
    Originally Posted by Roybe View Post (Source)
    I have been trying to keep up with the thread and if this is a duplicated idea, I apologize!

There has been some talk on what Squadrons would bring to the game...more importantly why would anyone join a Squadron?

I understand the underlying demand for a personnel management system and communication platform, entirely built into the game...but I would like to suggest another way for groups to help out our new players.

We have wing profit sharing, I would suggest Squadron profit sharing to occur, also.

If you wing up with a Squadron member, it would be nice to see another % increase in the money given to each member..whether trading, combat bonds, etc.
    Thanks for taking the time to read the existing suggestions, it's quite the task. Squadron profit sharing is an interesting concept!

And thanks to everyone else for reading and participating. Do remember that we're not discussing Fleet Carriers yet as we're hoping to do that in another one of these threads a little later.

Keep your suggestions coming

Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post (Source)
    Thanks for taking the time to read the existing suggestions, it's quite the task. Squadron profit sharing is an interesting concept!

And thanks to everyone else for reading and participating. Do remember that we're not discussing Fleet Carriers yet as we're hoping to do that in another one of these threads a little later.

Keep your suggestions coming
    Squadron profit sharing sounds like an awful idea, especially if it's just bonus money as with wings. Creating a bunch of content that single players won't have any interaction with whatsoever is fair enough, as long as it's balanced with the single player content. Giving multiplayers an advantage (especially considering a lot of solo people are raging about the potential 'open only' future status of Powerplay) just seems unfair, and unnecessary.

Squadrons don't need 'advantages', they're an in-game tool for groups. Besides which, they're already getting their own fleet carrier. They don't need yet more advantages over those who choose to fly solo.

Absolutely NOT interested AT ALL in the development of SQUADRON, for me the focus is on:

- Exploration
    - Space Legs
    - Atmospheric Landing

All the rest FOR ME it's a waste of time, the unique, live and breathing experience in ED is all about this vast, huge Galaxy available at my fingertips.

Powerplay, Open, Thargoid, Squadrons:
    mass weapons distraction.

I wanna be a Space Tourist, or a Han Solo, or an Explorer: why we have to reproduce the same society's mechanisms in the Game. Does it bring realism?
    I wanna dream of a future of exploration, to boldly go where no man has gone before

:-)

I don't know if this or the DETAIL REQUESTS-Thread is better suited for my comments, so I will just leave them here.

Why squadrons at all?
    At this point in time see no reason to join a Squadron (I did play an MMORPG similar to World of Warcraft years ago, and remember three things about how I ended up in a guild.. and how the guild ended.
    A.: I was mostly playing alone, and occasionally grouped up with other players, mostly out of necessity. Somehow I ended up meeting some players frequently, and we ended up grouping for basically the next 5-6 years.
    B.: at one point the core players of this group joined a certain guild. I was wondering if that guild would be also for me, did some research (also on alternative guilds) and ended up in the same guild.
    I grouped with not only my core group, but also several members of that guild from time to time.
    We managed to take on bigger targets, thus getting far better Loot then before, but the core focus of the groups (and that guild was still focused along the lines of roleplay and casually playing that MMORPG.
    C.: Some members of that guild became more ambitious. We Ended up in an alliance with a far stronger, better organized and more loot-focused guild. Long story short: the guild I originally joined basically dies of politics, the players that I happened to play with and were very fond of started to play another game (which I did not like), and in the end, I stopped playing the game as well.

From this experience, I am skeptical about any guild- and guild-like systems. I only see a couple of reasons why we need squadrons:
    - if I want to play with friends -> for better organization.
    - if I want to gain equipment I would not as easily get otherwise (pls do not lock certain equipment behind raids - this will in the end cause a lot of friction between the players in a squadron).
    - if I want to roleplay -> join a Squadron that matches my interest.

I personally do not want to get involved in politics, and big organizations tend to become a place of discord over time - so I avoid them.

I would be much more interested if the foundations of player-interaction would be more solid.
    What this game is missing from my point of view are three things:

A: Different global chats:
    - Global chat for everyone / about everything
    - certain charts for new players
    - faction related chats
    - Event / CG- related chats
    - etc.
    - this is all very important to meet new people ion the firs place!
    B: A looking for wings tool:
    - you could be looking for a wing and check certain boxes for what you want + a personal comment.
    - if you have a wind started, you can look for more players
    C: Mixed up Multicrew and Wings:
    - regardless if they bring their own ship or just want to hitch a ride: 4 players is 4 players.
    - allow people to use SRV's on a ship they don't own
    D: Solid Connection:
    - the major problem I have faced when winging up with other players is that some of us will eventually drop out of the wing. Sometime very often. That is REALLY annoying and could be the nail in the coffin for squadrons, plus you would become the laughing stock of MMO games if you have guilds (aka Squadrons), but it would be impossible for players of a guild to actually play together.
    - consider Servers instead of peer-to-peer-connection for players. Seriously.
    E: Most important of all - a reason to form a wing:
    - currently you rarely need a wing to get anything done. Even the wing-mission can be done solo, since they are just an extension of solo-mission.
    - have missions that REQUIRE you to have at least 2 players working together (aka doing different things that complement each other). Mega Ship Heists should be just the beginning! it should be INTERESTING to group up!
    - We need things we can only acquire in a wing, and not alone - and are worth it! Money and Engineering-materials are NOT the answer here!

If you manages this, squadrons are just the icing on the cake.
    And this is eventually how in the old MMORPG's guilds started: the developers gave them bigger and bigger tasks to accomplish, and since the players had the means to communicate, the development of guilds actually pre-dated the implementation of guild-management-tools in the game.

Change of topic - now for some details about the fleet-carriers:

Different Carrier-types for different types of squadrons:
    ... is nice, but a variety in even similar-tasked carriers would be nice. Not ever exploration-type carrier should look the same, nor should there be only one Anti-Thargoid-type Carrier.

Differnt type of landing bays:
    I imagine a different type of landing bay for mega ships (not only fleet carriers). One that saves a lot of space on the mega ships while bringing some variety to the game:
    -- Each bay is just as wide, long and tall as necessary for each size.
    -- you enter the bay via a catch-grate (to make sure you do not enter the bay in an odd angle)and force-field similar to the ones at the spaceports
    -- after passing the shield you just touch down on the landing-pad. Behind you, a two massive bay doors slide down(or up) and seal up the bay for good. The force-field shuts down.
    -- when you want to launch, the force field start up, the bay door re-open, and you can just fly out backwards (alternatively the landing pad could be a rotating one; please just rotating on the spot, NOT the standard "lower pad - rotate - lift pad"-routine!)
    -- when the mega ship wants to jump, the bay doors close, force fields shut down, and the catch-grate is folded up and retracted (I leave it to you how tis will look at the end; but as long as the ship is... "accepting guests", the grate is unfolded).

Thats all.
    Thanks for your time!
    o7

EDIT:
    One thing I forget to mention: it might become very important that the players - all players - have a common enemy.
    Yes, technically that would be the Thargoids. But since it has already been mentioned that there are two Thargoid-Factions, and one is apparently hunting down the other.
    So we need to know: who are the ACTUAL bad guys here, and how can we tell them apart? Or are they both evil? We need to know for certain. (In fact, this is way I am holding back: I just don't want to shoot the wrong ones.)
    This might be very important to know in order to unify players and avoid discord (I mean actual discord, not role played discord).

I like the proposed changes, I think that the idea and current concept of having squadrons is wonderful -- with one exception: The 250 player limit. That's not good for my favorite group, the East India Company.

I would like to suggest the ability for Squadron members to turn on a 'Squadron beacon', that would work like the current 'Wing Beacon' but would allow any member of the Squadron to see, target and drop in on that beacon. This should work alongside and as well as the 'Wing Beacon'.

So if I turned on my 'Squadron Beacon' then anyone else in the Squadron would be able to see 'Squadron Beacon: Logan Terrik' and be able to navigate/drop in on my location. This should show up in system, like the 'Wing Beacon' does but should also show up as a 'Squadron Beacon' marker on the galaxy map for Squadron members in other systems. This would add lots more possibility for team play in the game, please make it happen!

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 161920212223 ... LastLast