Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Restoring Order in Veroklist (Bounty Hunting)

Originally Posted by Tink View Post (Source)
    I went online Saturday night about 11.30 after spending most of the night consuming beer in my local establishment

Was playing for about 20 mins when it all went boobsup and my chieftain got blown to pieces and ended up having to shell out 5.5mill on a new Ship ... Last time I play drunk hahahahaha
    At least you had an excuse. I was straight up sober and I pushed my Python 0% Armor and 1 Hull Reinforcement left to the blowing point. Lost about 5 mill in bounty, and 11 mil in rebuy cost. All because the FAS was taunting me to exchange a head to head barrage of pulse lasers, plasma, and rail gun fire. I don't care what anybody says, I had that FAS. FD must have been hacking!!!

Originally Posted by CMDR UBEN HADD View Post (Source)
    At least you had an excuse. I was straight up sober and I pushed my Python 0% Armor and 1 Hull Reinforcement left to the blowing point. Lost about 5 mill in bounty, and 11 mil in rebuy cost. All because the FAS was taunting me to exchange a head to head barrage of pulse lasers, plasma, and rail gun fire. I don't care what anybody says, I had that FAS. FD must have been hacking!!!
    I would have rammed it.
    (true).
    I have a lot of rebuys.
    (also true).

Originally Posted by Speedcuffs View Post (Source)
    I would have rammed it.
    (true).
    I have a lot of rebuys.
    (also true).
    There is something like this in the Fried Green Tomatoes movie.

I just joined this CG today. Do they ever extend the deadline when the goal is behind?

Originally Posted by Krash View Post (Source)
    I just joined this CG today. Do they ever extend the deadline when the goal is behind?
    NOPE

New CGs are started on Thursday no matter what happens with the result of the old one
    Bounty CG rarely make tier 8 any more, so go the full week and complete with lower tier result...

Users then get New CG's to start on Thursday at 3PM GMT/UTC... as Galnet will update with links to the new CG Systems and a Galaxy map short cut... then you can view the CG systems system map... and then you research near by systems...

If ive read the news sites correctly PC users will soon be able to use Steam on tablets and Apple TV when away from the PC to remote play via Controller soon so more people Can do CGs when not at there PC with out having to pay out for New hardware...
    https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/09/...n-ios-android/

A CG only has to hit level 1 to be considered successful, i don't think many ever failed at least since the very early days when FDev was using numbers either way too big or way too small.
    So yeah as Graphite said no extensions are ever given and as the 2 CGs are at tiers 3 and 4 then both are already considered successful.
    Some CGs require certain tier levels to be reached before certain rewards are unlocked but if they aren't then its just tough luck.

First time ever i'm in the Top 10%, which I'm impressed with. It's been fun dodging/fighting/getting killed by (only once and it was quick! WOW) the KoS members. Learned a lot, realizing that my PVP skills need serious work though I did put up a good fight on my initial encounter.

With that said, it's been fun. Though I am eyeball a trade goal the next time. Increased risk.

Gary

Originally Posted by MAD_DOG_MacD View Post (Source)
    First time ever i'm in the Top 10%, which I'm impressed with. It's been fun dodging/fighting/getting killed by (only once and it was quick! WOW) the KoS members. Learned a lot, realizing that my PVP skills need serious work though I did put up a good fight on my initial encounter.
    Yeah, these non-decal CGs are pretty easy to 10% if you have a large ship and HazRES availability. And the low participant numbers meant that it only took three sorties in a large-hulled PvE pirate harvester to get and stay in that top 10%.

I'll admit I scorned this CG at first (and still think the core worlds "community" of pilots should be having their efforts directed to more pressing endeavors), but it's the first one that's engaged my value system enough to push me out of Solo or Mobius PvE into Open play for the express purpose of political activism in Elite Dangerous.

I had some fun encouraging a couple slave runners to reconsider their priorities by taking their hulls down to single digits (never with the intent of killing them, although hopefully I gifted some small and momentary increase in their pucker factor). It made me wish FD applied some incentive to flying in open (perhaps more reward to acknowledge the heightened risk), because there just weren't that many others flying in open (at least during the periods I was).

And I myself was schooled a couple of times in how different PvP engagements are then PvE. That in turn created a renewed interest in playing around with my Chieftain (which I still view as a disappointing dog, at least under my ham-handed control), my FAS (which I never flew in combat before this CG), and my FGS (which I flew only briefly long ago before earning my Corvette, after which I never looked back when it came to bounty hunting and pirate harvesting). I had an unexpected amount of fun trying to assemble and engineer a medium-hull ship loadout that would be fun (and relatively efficient) at in-system slave-runner and pirate interdictions, while presenting at least some small amount of hassle (if not actual consternation) to those to who interdicted me, in turn.

Part of the rock/paper/scissors fun was trying to find the loadout that would work for someone like me (old, semi-skilled, and whose HOTAS setup is too damned inefficient with fixed weapons to make them viable), while responding to PvP interdictions in ways that attempted to exploit common PvP-build vulnerabilities. So at least I might have a chance at lasting longer than a couple minutes against at least some of the more lackluster PvP'ers.

The downside to coming into Open was that the caliber and character of too many of those other-player interactions was less the "friendly duel," and more resembling an "I'm a frustrated adolescent trying to compensate for my otherwise powerless life by poaching anyone I can find." It turns out that acknowledging their superior skill and ship build, and ceding the battlefield to them once they've gained the upper hand after interdicting you really seemed to leave them frustrated, ranting, and lashing out with grade-school-level taunts. The good news was that one can significantly bump their maturity level and intelligence for them by simply granting them the gift of mute. ;-)

The Bounty hunting is more viable in the neighboring system(s) than in the actual system which the bounties are collected. I find this a bit odd, but not complaining either. Often on the return voyage to cash in my gains, I'll interdict a few more and hop into a few USS if they seem interesting.

Yes, it's pretty quiet. I am online in the mornings before work and it seems I have literal run of the Space in between and all around. Not a soul to be found at 5am EST. I even venture into the dreaded Haz Sites where the PVP'ers lurk. I am guessing, they are nocturnal, shying away from the light and only surfacing from their caves in the twilight hours.

I realized (in a most extreme lesson) that my current ship and skills are not up to snuff when it comes to this lot. Thanks ok as well, it's a part of the game. No complaints, but an amazing interesting eye opener when it comes to my "so called" combat skills (or lack of them).

I always play in Open, only going into Solo if the ever present Pad Hog is sitting at the Outpost apparently for the whole point of being a nuisance. People will be people.

Gary

The only time CGs get extended is when they add a couple of extra tiers or raise the tier thresholds when it is obvious that the CG is not going to last more than a few hours, occasionally they let them finish early and run a follow on CG starting on the Friday it depends a bit on the scenario.

Originally Posted by MAD_DOG_MacD View Post (Source)
    I realized (in a most extreme lesson) that my current ship and skills are not up to snuff when it comes to this lot. Thanks ok as well, it's a part of the game. No complaints, but an amazing interesting eye opener when it comes to my "so called" combat skills (or lack of them).
    Heh ...yeah, after one encounter (where I was interdicted, fought for awhile in my PvE build against a better PvP build and, tbh, a better combat pilot), I managed to escape. I sent a "nice fight," message and it was responded to with text after text of incensed juvenile rants and name calling. He was highly offended that I didn't let him finish the fight. But one scoffing text was noteworthy. He asked, "How the heck did you become ranked Deadly!" Heh.

The answer, of course, is by amassing over 7400 pirate bounties (mostly in HazRES and CNBs) and about 1500 combat bonds from CZs! LOL (apparently, thought this one l33t FGS pilot, combat ranks should only count if you achieve them in PvP, as if the game should really be one big CQB arena with only duels against other, human pilots, counting as an indicator of your experience. ;-) (Truth be told, he might have a point!)

Maybe, since nobody plays in CQB, your CQB rank should be indicative of your PvP record in game -- and it should be that one that other pilots see when they scan you!

On the other hand, earlier in the week I came up against one CMDR Brick, whom I think was called onto me and my experimental FAS after I took an slave running associate down to 8% hull or so before turning away and letting the guy's AspE go. Brick's doggedness was exemplary. I appreciated that. He jumped in with his PvP FAS as his friend low-waked out and we tangled. Soon it became apparent that my skills weren't up to his and his railguns, so I tipped my hat, sent a "good fight," and high-waked. But this dog had been sic'd and he wasn't going to let go. He pursued me to the next system, interdicted me again, we tangled some more, and I died while he still had more than 75% hull (being a PvE'er, I'm not in the habit of targeting subsystems much ...yet). He sent no taunting chat; no disparagement, no communication at all. It was just business; him protecting his own. Now THAT I appreciated, like one should any good lesson!

The answer, of course, is by amassing over 7400 pirate bounties (mostly in HazRES and CNBs) and about 1500 combat bonds from CZs! LOL (apparently, thought this one l33t FGS pilot, combat ranks should only count if you achieve them in PvP, as if the game should really be one big CQB arena with only duels against other, human pilots, counting as an indicator of your experience. ;-) (Truth be told, he might have a point!)
    I'm on the Cusp of advancing to the next Level, which is Dangerous. Truth be told, I am similar, when it comes to NPC's well, let's just say, it is a fun way to make some extra credits. But I do understand the point, if CQB was what mattered, when scanning there will be a lot of "Mostly Harmless" since literally no one plays the mode.

I don't bother messaging, as I am too consumed by getting my backside back to the nearest repair/safety facility. I often feel messaging, in some instances, promotes what you experienced.

Gary

Originally Posted by Camisade View Post (Source)
    Heh ...yeah, after one encounter (where I was interdicted, fought for awhile in my PvE build against a better PvP build and, tbh, a better combat pilot), I managed to escape. I sent a "nice fight," message and it was responded to with text after text of incensed juvenile rants and name calling. He was highly offended that I didn't let him finish the fight. But one scoffing text was noteworthy. He asked, "How the heck did you become ranked Deadly!" Heh.
    This would be a good suggestion for another rank category. Same rank structure as the Combat but can only achieve if the fight is with a player. However, running should always be an option. I had several fights with a Sim that jump away before I could finish them off. Its part of the game.

I didnít visit the forum for this CG until today, I went to it in an Anaconda. It didnít take me long to figure out that I needed to bring over a smaller ship, or that there are several systems nearby to farm in. Also did anyone check the missions? I got 4 or 5 rank up missions in a row. I think I made more running data back and forth than bounties.

Originally Posted by CMDR UBEN HADD View Post (Source)
    This would be a good suggestion for another rank category. Same rank structure as the Combat but can only achieve if the fight is with a player. However, running should always be an option. I had several fights with a Sim that jump away before I could finish them off. Its part of the game.
    Agreed. High/Low waking is a valid retreat tactic, however, there should be a reward metric for the victor because it feels like a victory when they high tail it out of there when things get hairy.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast