Thread: Bindings Saitek/Logi x56 - help needed for bindings of the analogue sticks

Bindings Saitek/Logi x56 - help needed for bindings of the analogue sticks

Hello everybody,

I need your help urgently.

the slider on the throttle I could set in the Logitech profile as ctrl+r via the LogiTool so that the ship goes with slider forward on reverse thrust - although I would like to have the other way around (slider back = reverse), but unfortunately it never reacts on that way. Any idea?

I use the throttle scroll for the little finger to scroll through subsystems.

The rest of the buttons I try again to arrange in logical groups so that I can remember well even after a few weeks break and I am not accidentally start Silent Running instead of firing Shieldcellbanks.

Right now I'm getting grey hair to set the analogue sticks so that it is good. Supposedly a good binding seems to be crucial for the positive experience in flight manoeuvrers compared to pure Hotas control such as the TM Hotas X (where I used the Coolie hat for lateral & vertical thrust - especially for landings or FA Off).

Therefore, I am desperately looking for Binds and Logitech profiles to get an idea. Also from the necessary deadzones for the analogue sticks or the possible assignment of the four rotary knobs. Hope, you x55/x56 users can help me!

I've moved on from the X56 now, but when I flew with one I had the throttle thumbstick bound to left/right/up/down thrusters. Switches wise I used to have the bottom row of three bidirectional switches set up for interface mode and galaxy map/system map. So starting from left to right of the bottom switches up first down second I had galaxy map/target panel, chat/srv panel, system map / systems panel. Shield cell bank on one of the buttons on the front of the throttle handle, heat shink on the other one. Supercruise and hyperjump on the rocker switch on the throttle handle. Boost and landing gear were on the click function of the top and bottom rotarys on the throttle handle, then the right hand column of switches could be used for silent running, cargo scoop, lights,etc...

Hey CMDR Darth,

Not sure if this is of any use to you, but this is my old X55 profile:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=456122613

I don't update it anymore since I have upgraded to a Warthog, but may give you some ideas. Not sure if they work with X56 or if anyone else has newer profiles to share.

Good Luck, AD

Thank you, I will have a look and hope some others x55/x56 have some suggestions, too.

Edit: - your binds aren't loading because I have no track IR.

Would it be better to make the analogue sticks bound as digital? And to use the right one for up/down and the left one for right/left/front/reverse?

No worries,

TrackIR should be independent to the bindings, so should not prevent it loading. Saying that it may no longer work in 3.0 or not compatible with X56 maybe. Sorry.

Seems a little bit of a waste to turn the analog into digital mappings. Although the stick on the X55 was pretty poor and probably would have worked better as digital lol.

On mine... although I use Voice Attack with the HCS voice packs rendering most of the button/switch functions on the HOTAS obsolete. I also use a Tobii 4C eye/headtracker so no need for headlook.

Pinky roller on throttle = radar range up/down
    Throttle thumbstick = thrusters L/R/Up/Down
    Throttle thumb slider = unused
    Throttle top rotary(click) = hyperspace
    Throttle bottom rotary(click) = supercruise
    Throttle blue button above thumbstick = boost
    Throttle front button(left) = throttle reverse
    Throttle front button(right) = Tobii Eyetracker on/off toggle
    Throttle front rocker = Silent running/FAoff
    Throttle top mini stick = UI menu tab select
    Throttle bottom mini stick = UI menu select
    Throttle toggle 1 = galaxy/system map
    Throttle switch 5 = Cargo scoop
    Throttle switch 6 = Landing gear
    Throttle switch 3 = Heatsink
    Throttle switch 4 = SCB
    Throttle switch 1 = lights
    Throttle switch 2 = orbit lines off/on
    Rotary 3 and 4 = unassigned.

The stick buttons and hats are fairly standard fare between target selection/PiP management/Chaff etc...I also don't have the thumbstick assigned (I used to have it set to thrust back/forward) as I have fairly small hands (it's awkward in combat)

I've never created a profile in the Logitech software or use modes since there's no need...I adapted the built in X56 profile in E-D to my liking instead.
    There's also no deadzone adjustment for the analogue thumbsticks and I set a very small one in E-D control settings for the twist Yaw... mine drifts a bit.

If you mean the top hat on the thurstmaster throttle, i've tried both throttles, the hat and thumbstick for lateral thrust, and its no match, the thumbsticks are much worse than the hat (imo). On paper, the fact you can have grades of thrust rather than just on/off via the hat sounds like it is better, but the thumbsticks are too small and used with your thumbs so its a challenge to get consistent finesse especially if you're doing something else at the time (ie, more than just docking).

Sorry. If you want to use the thumbsticks for thrust, what i found best was just map one of the thumbstick axis, not both. This way if you don't precisely get the right angle your ship also won't move in a different direction relative how how much you missed the alignment by.

I only used a very small deadzone, on mine at least its not really needed.

Originally Posted by CMDR Karrde Sun View Post (Source)
    If you mean the top hat on the thurstmaster throttle, i've tried both throttles, the hat and thumbstick for lateral thrust, and its no match, the thumbsticks are much worse than the hat (imo). On paper, the fact you can have grades of thrust rather than just on/off via the hat sounds like it is better, but the thumbsticks are too small and used with your thumbs so its a challenge to get consistent finesse especially if you're doing something else at the time (ie, more than just docking).

Sorry. If you want to use the thumbsticks for thrust, what i found best was just map one of the thumbstick axis, not both. This way if you don't precisely get the right angle your ship also won't move in a different direction relative how how much you missed the alignment by.

I only used a very small deadzone, on mine at least its not really needed.
    Thrustmaster? I thought we were talking about the X56...

If we still are, I don't really have accuracy issues with the thumbsticks...perhaps many years using an Xbox controller tuned my thumbs into the analogue action since I don't really have accuracy issues when using them for thrust input...no real idea on that one, but the variable analogue input from those thumbsticks work a treat rather than a raw digital setup for me at any rate.

OK, rare spare time, but I played a little with the bindings and the impressions you gave me. I found out, when the HOTAS is on the desk I get pain in the shoulders fast and the stick's top buttons are hard to reach. But now when I mounted the HOTAS to the chair, the arm rest is stabilizing the hand on a higher position - the thumb using the thumbstick's base to steer the twist. So even with President Trump's hands you can reach them all. I can really recommend the monstertech attachements! Sitting relaxed backwards and the HOTAS is still "mounted to your hands". Lazy as I am I attached the bottle holder too: https://1drv.ms/f/s!Agw5g-yo6ZxngshNZBKhRrMAv6zZPg - later I will use quick releases to switch the mounts to the side.

thumbsticks:
    I am not sure if the analogue sticks are precise enough for more than digital inputs (but I'll give that a try). They need a deadzone of 3 or 4 cursor hits also. Right now I use them for landing. The stick's thumbstick got front / back thrust with twist, the throttle's thumbstick got up/down/left/right.

• Pinky roller I use for subsystems which is quite nice.
    • SLD I set up a macro for front: reverse toggle (unfortunately I am not able to do it the other more logic way)
    • Thumbstick's click I use for target next system (high wake escape route plotted).
    • The two coolies I use for targetting non enemies and wingmen's options.
    • E button I use as modifier for the toggles to handle the SLF's orders
    • The front H button fa/off toggle
    • The front I button boost
    • The front KI tbd
    • Thumb knobs G/F with super/hypercruise is elegant, I will take that, too.
    • SW 1/2 shieldcell / heatsink
    • SW 3/4 silent running / heatsink
    • SW 5/6 cargo / landing gear
    • TGL 4 Galaxy / system map
    • TGL 3 Orbit lines / lights
    • TGL 2 thrust to 75% / 50% (7 seconds to target)
    • TGL 1 tbd
    • RTY3 I use for scanner range
    • RTY4 I set up bandwidth in the Logitech software profile and a macro (left weapon colour and engines customisation on / middle nothing/empty and right colour off)

On stick's side I have no idea what to use as secondary fire. I think the pinky trigger to be the right one.

• The B on the side I use for retracting fire, the pinky button for chaff.
    • H1 for targetting enemy, H2 for energy.
    • A for menu back
    • POV for ship's system menus.
    • Thumbstick's click headlook on/off (in connection with edtracker).

No idea, what I am still missing or what could be improved.

On my X55 I have found a few binding changes that I thought were game-changing.

I bound both Menu Select and Target Ahead to the B button on the right side of the stick. This is a pointing gesture and feels very natural. Separating the menu select from the trigger allows you to maintain fire while doing things in your ship's side menus.

I bound the F knob on top of the throttle to lateral movement axis, and the G knob to vertical movement axis; while also having digital vertical and lateral on a hat switch. I use the hat switch during combat for instant, maximum thrust. But having the analog control on the knobs is amazing for landing! You can set a nice controlled rate of descent and then take your hand away to do other things.

Since doing this, I always fly with rotation correction disabled. It just makes landing more engaging; having to gently dial in side-slip as I descend toward my pad.

Finally, you can bind the MODE switch too.

I have it set so that it sits in the middle most of the time. When I twist it up to mode 1, my hardpoints deploy. They retract when I turn it back the mode 2.
    Mode 3 (relabeled to S1 on the X56) is my landing gear. Again, they retract when I raise the switch back to center.
    Switch up, guns up.
    Switch down, gear down.

I did this using a guide that used to be on Saitek's site, but I can't find it now. I can post screenshots of my HUD software if anyone's interested.