Thread: The Kerbal Space Program Thread

The Kerbal Space Program Thread

For whatever reason the KSP thread is locked and KSP recently got an expansion:

As Squad seemingly doesn't seem to pay for viral marketing to flood the forums with adverts like usual publishers, I completely missed that release.

Anybody who backed the game during early days (like I did) can download the expansion for free. So check your accounts and enjoy free stuff!

Squad isn't a publisher anymore. They've been bought by 2K I believe. Edit. It's Take Two.

Originally Posted by Caramel Clown View Post (Source)
    Squad isn't a publisher anymore. They've been bought by 2K I believe. Edit. It's Take Two.
    And somehow for me that added a very negative vibe to the game.
    I can't really explain it, nothing really changed after the takeover, but somehow I lost all will to play KSP.

Originally Posted by Caramel Clown View Post (Source)
    Yet I see no marketing push for the expansion. It silently appeared in my Steam library.

The whole package did cost me nothing more than $7, because I was backing it in 2011, when KSP was still freeware.

Originally Posted by DoctorDanny View Post (Source)
    And somehow for me that added a very negative vibe to the game.
    I can't really explain it, nothing really changed after the takeover, but somehow I lost all will to play KSP.
    Maybe it's because when ever your favourite game dev gets "acquisitioned" by a large publishing house, their production turns to crap?

Happened WAY too many times to my favourite game studios...

Originally Posted by Chris Simon View Post (Source)
    Maybe it's because when ever your favourite game dev gets "acquisitioned" by a large publishing house, their production turns to crap?

Happened WAY too many times to my favourite game studios...
    Also in the case of KSP the whole original dev team has left. Doesnt make the game any worse at the moment, but we can guess it will not really progress from now (latest expansion is a glorified parts + contract mod)

For Steam users - remember that you can take the KSP from the installation folder and back it up/play it with out Steam to avoid any later updates. I have a pretty good mod setup going at the moment and I prefer to play it out of Steam to avoid mod breaking updates.

Originally Posted by Vasea Azure View Post (Source)
    For Steam users - remember that you can take the KSP from the installation folder and back it up/play it with out Steam to avoid any later updates. I have a pretty good mod setup going at the moment and I prefer to play it out of Steam to avoid mod breaking updates.
    You can also use the "BETAS" feature integrated into Steam (under game properties) to select and downgrade to an earlier version of your choice from 1.0.5 and up. Future updates won't break your mods then.

Originally Posted by Backer42 View Post (Source)
    You can also use the "BETAS" feature integrated into Steam (under game properties) to select and downgrade to an earlier version of your choice from 1.0.5 and up. Future updates won't break your mods then.
    I lost all interest in getting this game (I passed the humblebundle offer monthly sub getting it for 12 USD) because of their ridiculous privacy policy that looks like the recent version of the software is spyware.

Originally Posted by Thargon View Post (Source)
    I lost all interest in getting this game (I passed the humblebundle offer monthly sub getting it for 12 USD) because of their ridiculous privacy policy that looks like the recent version of the software is spyware.
    There is no indication that any part of downloaded KSP files is spyware imo, but you can as I said take it out from steam and run offline and blocked by your antivirus/firewall of choice just to be sure. Its just typical corporate EULA, game functions same as before from my and many other ppl experience with out accessing any registry key/processes on your pc.

Ye, I kinda stopped the automatic updating since I dint want any 2K stuff on my system. Thx for the beta tip and putting it outside steam. I'll see if that might work out.

Originally Posted by Surefoot View Post (Source)
    Also in the case of KSP the whole original dev team has left. Doesnt make the game any worse at the moment, but we can guess it will not really progress from now (latest expansion is a glorified parts + contract mod)
    It might be odd to say this but I’m okay with the possibility of KSP being mostly “done”, at least from the developers point of view. I love the game, and if the official development is over then the mod community can take it from here without any fear of future updates breaking anything!

Even if the future dev path for the game goes awry, the game as it currently sits is incredible and one of my favorite games of all time. Not even 2K can take that away from me!

After about two thousand hours, I’m fine with putting the game to rest. My rocket skills have developed from stock to as many “realism” mods as I can. One of the few games where I could actually understand the appeal of modding, since they generally made the game harder, rather than dumbing it down.

Originally Posted by Darkfyre99 View Post (Source)
    After about two thousand hours, I’m fine with putting the game to rest. My rocket skills have developed from stock to as many “realism” mods as I can. One of the few games where I could actually understand the appeal of modding, since they generally made the game harder, rather than dumbing it down.
    Same here. Playing with about 100 mods on it.. FAR for ultra realistic aero, etc. Doing FAR SSTO and succeeding is so rewarding..