Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Film industry is it's own roadblock for great Sci-fi movies.

In the last decade...

Moon was a great surprise.
    Blade Runner 2049 was excellent.
    District 9 was great too.
    Enjoyed Sunshine as well.
    Children of Men was excellent, although not exactly scifi.

From TV; I think the only really good ones in the last decade were Battlestar Galactica and The Expanse.

Science fiction is rare.

Plenty FX spectaculars out there which people mistake for Science fiction but no Real Science fiction gets made much anymore.

Originally Posted by Vasco Sapien View Post (Source)
    Science fiction is rare.

Plenty FX spectaculars out there which people mistake for Science fiction but no Real Science fiction gets made much anymore.
    in no particular order as they are all great, no time limit set for this list.

Alien (the first one)
    2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968)
    BLADE RUNNER 2049 (2017)
    A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (1971)
    DISTRICT 9 (2009)
    EX MACHINA (2015)
    BLADE RUNNER (1982)
    CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (1977)
    ALTERED STATES (1980)
    THX 1138 (1971)
    MOON (2009)
    INTERSTELLAR (2014)
    SUNSHINE (2007)
    THE ABYSS (1989)
    THE FLY (1986)
    The Andromeda Strain (1971)
    Dune (1984)
    Dark Star (1974)
    AI Artificial Intelligence (2001)

Iron Giant (1999) was ages ago. Deserves a rewatch but there's too many shows to watch.

The Blob (1958)
    Forbidden Planet(1956)
    The Thing(1982)

First season of Space 1999 was really good. Then it devolved and lost Victor Bergman.

Originally Posted by Lysander lysan View Post (Source)
    Star Wars is now Disney [excrement], braindead consumption for a lazy sunday afternoon.
    Star Trek likewise, or just stupid.
    There was an interview with Spielberg where he said that he and Lucas considered the original Star Wars movie a Disney movie. It was designed from the get go as family fare. Measuring movies is difficult because you have to use your own eyeballs and brain as a yardstick, and you find that your yardstick changes as time goes by. I like the new Star Wars movies even if they are braindead, or maybe because they are and that's what makes them Star-Wars-y

I was already too old for "ET" when it first came out, but now that my brain has softened with age, and also considering the way Spielberg was talking about it in that same interview, it's about time I gave it another watch to see if it deserves a place in my list of good science fiction movies.

I'm also not sure what constitutes "new". 2 decades ago doesn't seem that long now.

2010: A Space Odyssey 2
    The Matrix
    12 Monkeys
    The 5th Element
    Minority Report
    A Scanner Darkly
    Serenity (and Firefly)
    the new Battlestar Galactica is better than the old one
    Futurama
    Rick & Morty
    Black Mirror
    Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams
    Dirk Gently
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    The Expanse
    Dredd (2012)
    Mad Max: Fury Road
    Inception
    Interstellar
    The Martian
    Moon
    Bladerunner 2049
    Mute
    Star Wars: all of them
    Star Trek: First Contact

Looking at that list makes me think I'm easily pleased, but I don't see that as a failing <grin>

The main issue with movies, especially sci-fi movies is that instead of artistic shots we have those over the top crappy visuals. Characters are not important anymore, just the flames.

I often wondered how Elite's world would make a fantastic setting for a movie, but again I hope it will never happen as it would probably end up being crap because producers want to go biblical in explosions and whatnot.

Hello//I just finished Lost in Space(reboot)

And after the 1st episode - I found it pretty good.

Originally Posted by Lysander lysan View Post (Source)
    in no particular order as they are all great, no time limit set for this list.

Alien (the first one)
    2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968)
    BLADE RUNNER 2049 (2017)
    A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (1971)
    DISTRICT 9 (2009)
    EX MACHINA (2015)
    BLADE RUNNER (1982)
    CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (1977)
    ALTERED STATES (1980)
    THX 1138 (1971)
    MOON (2009)
    INTERSTELLAR (2014)
    SUNSHINE (2007)
    THE ABYSS (1989)
    THE FLY (1986)
    The Andromeda Strain (1971)
    Dune (1984)
    Dark Star (1974)
    AI Artificial Intelligence (2001)

Yes, Some good Science fiction listed there. But im talking about in the last decade or two and a decline is smart Science fiction with larger budgets in favour of dumb science fiction with larger budgets.

Large budget pure science fiction tends to fall short of return expectations in the box office. But FX driven Faux Science fiction usually does well.

Look at the budget for movies like EX MACHINA, MOON and ARRIVAL for example, they where considered a commercial success. Then look at the budget for films like BLADE RUNNER 2049, INTERSTELLAR and ALIEN COVERNANT and they where all considered a commercial failure.

DISNEY WARS and the MARVEL CU are however making tons of money and are not Science fiction even though people call them that.

The trouble with this trend is that large budget Science fiction is less likely to be made going forward because the investment is so tenuous.
    So Science fiction will be more likely to be relegated to smaller budget productions, which isnt necessarily a bad thing but it does limit the kinds of scripts that could be entertained.

Science fiction becomes nitch.
    Action FX bonanzas masquerading as Science fiction get made more.

Originally Posted by metatheurgist View Post (Source)
    Iron Giant (1999) was ages ago. Deserves a rewatch but there's too many shows to watch.
    Brad Bird brought it to life, took a good story and turned it into an incredible movie.

Yes, Some good Science fiction listed there. But im talking about in the last decade or two and a decline is smart Science fiction with larger budgets in favour of dumb science fiction with larger budgets.
    There's actually a 2-edged sword with film atm. It's so easy (cheap) to make movies that everyone and his dog fancies themselves a filmmaker. This has resulted in some remarkable turds getting released (not in theatres but on one of the many vehicles for films available now) but it also means the occasional gem is made.

The Girl with All the Gifts, ARQ, Spectral, Radius, OtherLife are some that might have slipped most people's radar but are eminently watchable.

Originally Posted by metatheurgist View Post (Source)
    There's actually a 2-edged sword with film atm. It's so easy (cheap) to make movies that everyone and his dog fancies themselves a filmmaker. This has resulted in some remarkable turds getting released (not in theatres but on one of the many vehicles for films available now) but it also means the occasional gem is made.

The Girl with All the Gifts, ARQ, Spectral, Radius, OtherLife are some that might have slipped most people's radar but are eminently watchable.
    Alot of the low budget Sci-fi we see (especially on Netflix) prove to be a disappointment for me. Im not saying that low budget Science fiction productions cant make good movies because they sometimes do, but that in my experiance is often the exception and not the rule. I feel some of the low end stuff that gets made is absolutely terrible.

Ive seen the examples you list above and i wasnt so impressed. The scene from The Girl with All the Gifts when she was screaming at the feral kids almost made me turn that film off.

Spectral with Soldiers made from Bose–Einstein condensate.... was a huge face palm for me.

Take a look at that new Netflix movie called 'The Titan'... the plot is absolutely ridiculous.

My idea of a wonderful low budget Sci-Fi film would be Ex-Machina or Arrival. Thought provoking stories, well written with above average production standards.

We do see some good sci-fi movies, however they are far in between the rubbish.
    I just feel that we need to go back almost 2 decades to fill a list as I just did.

Now all the new sci-fi like ahAHHHHHHH ^%!@#$!& Prometheus 1 & 2 and ST / SW reboots, they are horrible.
    Avatar was also a good movie, but still I'm not going to put it on a list of great movies because it was not great.

Interstellar was awesome, and so was Blade Runner 2049, but between those there wasen't many to chose from.

Alot of the low budget Sci-fi we see (especially on Netflix) prove to be a disappointment for me. Im not saying that low budget Science fiction productions cant make good movies because they sometimes do, but that in my experiance is often the exception and not the rule. I feel some of the low end stuff that gets made is absolutely terrible.

Ive seen the examples you list above and i wasnt so impressed. The scene from The Girl with All the Gifts when she was screaming at the feral kids almost made me turn that film off.

Spectral with Soldiers made from Bose–Einstein condensate.... was a huge face palm for me.

Take a look at that new Netflix movie called 'The Titan'... the plot is absolutely ridiculous.

My idea of a wonderful low budget Sci-Fi film would be Ex-Machina or Arrival. Thought provoking stories, well written with above average production standards.
    I said they were watchable, and yeah spectral is more guilty pleasure. I don't consider anything that comes from main-stream Hollywood low budget. As for Ex-Machina, I far prefer it's predecessor The Machine.

I watched a cool short film on the Dust youtube channel last night. I think it was Korean. It was called the Time Agent. It was intelligent Sci-Fi with practically no special effects. The Dust Channel is OK I suppose but there is a lot of derivative stuff on there. The Time Agent is the best thing I've watched on there

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast