Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 691011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: Falling With Style : An SRV base-jumping festival (19-27 May 3304)

Bah, I would have sneaked in at 10th place if I'd submitted my 18:36 this morning!

Not to worry, I'm sure to get below 18 minutes by the end of the week?

And I've submitted that one just to get on the table somewhere.

Well, I did a run. I didn't die. And I've given everyone else a reason to feel self-satisfied and smug.

And, I had fun.

Elapsed time was 1:35:25.

Video evidence:

In addition to the speed / altitude submission that I sent over to Alec, here is my official "stunt run" video. I would provide timestamps, but it was all over the place. Planned out the start, then forgot to correct my course AT ALL, then started singing, then started swearing at Alec, then kind of lost interest and just flew backwards towards Smith for a bit....

Sped up to 2x.

Meet "Unnamed #3".

Calm down, get a grip now … oh! this is an interesting sensation, what is it? It’s a sort of … yawning, tingling sensation in my … my … well I suppose I’d better start finding names for things if I want to make any headway in what for the sake of what I shall call an argument I shall call the world, so let’s call it my stomach.

Good. Ooooh, it’s getting quite strong. And hey, what’s about this whistling roaring sound going past what I’m suddenly going to call my head? Perhaps I can call that … wind! Is that a good name? It’ll do … perhaps I can find a better name for it later when I’ve found out what it’s for. It must be something very important because there certainly seems to be a hell of a lot of it. Hey! What’s this thing? This … let’s call it a tail – yeah, tail. Hey! I can can really thrash it about pretty good can’t I? Wow! Wow! That feels great! Doesn’t seem to achieve very much but I’ll probably find out what it’s for later on. Now – have I built up any coherent picture of things yet?

No.

Never mind, hey, this is really exciting, so much to find out about, so much to look forward to, I’m quite dizzy with anticipation …

Or is it the wind?

There really is a lot of that now isn’t it?

And wow! Hey! What’s this thing suddenly coming towards me very fast? Very very fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like … ow … ound … round … ground! That’s it! That’s a good name – ground!

I wonder if it will be friends with me?

And the rest, after a sudden wet thud, was silence.

Hello everyone, sorry for being a bit late, life threw me a bit of a curve ball last week and currently gaming is far, far down the list of priorities (not counting the disconnection issues still going since the last race, less frequent but still there)...anyway, I've managed at least to strap myself to the pilot seat for a while and I'm currently parked at Pad 05 of Smith Base with the Albion Skunk and its full complement of three Tum(Bling) Initiatives...hopefully I'll be able to put in a couple of participation runs at the very least...considering this is exactly the kind of kink I'm into, it would be a real bummer to completely miss on it...no promises though.

That's it. The lucky run just happened. I also happened to chase the terminator and then overtake it, which gave the run a pretty surreal setting: Starting at sunrise and then plunging into darkness. Incoming!
    This is tons of fun, now onto trying some aerobatics spatiobatics

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post (Source)
    Calm down, get a grip now … oh! this is an interesting sensation, what is it? It’s a sort of … yawning, tingling sensation in my … my … well I suppose I’d better start finding names for things if I want to make any headway in what for the sake of what I shall call an argument I shall call the world, so let’s call it my stomach.

Good. Ooooh, it’s getting quite strong. And hey, what’s about this whistling roaring sound going past what I’m suddenly going to call my head? Perhaps I can call that … wind! Is that a good name? It’ll do … perhaps I can find a better name for it later when I’ve found out what it’s for. It must be something very important because there certainly seems to be a hell of a lot of it. Hey! What’s this thing? This … let’s call it a tail – yeah, tail. Hey! I can can really thrash it about pretty good can’t I? Wow! Wow! That feels great! Doesn’t seem to achieve very much but I’ll probably find out what it’s for later on. Now – have I built up any coherent picture of things yet?

No.

Never mind, hey, this is really exciting, so much to find out about, so much to look forward to, I’m quite dizzy with anticipation …

Or is it the wind?

There really is a lot of that now isn’t it?

And wow! Hey! What’s this thing suddenly coming towards me very fast? Very very fast. So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like … ow … ound … round … ground! That’s it! That’s a good name – ground!

I wonder if it will be friends with me?

And the rest, after a sudden wet thud, was silence.
    Love it.

RIP D.A.

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Well actually, my better half is out on Wednesday evening which leaves me with a rare opportunity to play this game during far more sociable hours than my usual 5:30am slot. Anyone want to meet up around 7:30ish for a mass cheese run?

Is anyone else up for a mass cheese run on Wednesday evening then? I'll start the race rolling with a barrel of of palladium. The winner is still the first one to reach a garage but there's a bonus prize to anyone who manages to catch the barrel. They'll win... a barrel of palladium

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    Is anyone else up for a mass cheese run on Wednesday evening then? I'll start the race rolling with a barrel of of palladium. The winner is still the first one to reach a garage but there's a bonus prize to anyone who manages to catch the barrel. They'll win... a barrel of palladium
    Forget the garage, I love this idea. SRVs jostling to try to steal a barrel while it, and they, are falling down the side of a mountain... brilliant.

Definitely down for this.

I will so try to make this, sounds hilarious. So 19:30 game time?

Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)
    I will so try to make this, sounds hilarious. So 19:30 game time?
    I was originally thinking UK time - let's compromise - 19:00 game time?

This run might get disqualified since the video recorder kicked in a quarter-second two late (first frame is 2 m/s). Still, I think it's got some useful tricks worth demonstrating that perhaps not everyone already knows.

Trick #1: nav lock. The radar display isn't particularly accurate when it comes to lining up you're heading. If you lock in Smith base in the nav panel, you get the much more accurate compass to go by. You can see around 0:20 that the radar makes it look like I'm off course, but the compass (and the view out the top window) show that I'm going the right way.

Trick #2: Direct targeting. I "target ahead" the base directly around 0:50. The gunsight lead indicator is really useful because it gives me a way to visualize how true my flight path is. Ideally you want it lined up vertically with Smith Base. If it's veered off to the right, it means I'm drifting left, and vice versa. You can see this really clearly after the bounce at 2:40. It's most useful further out. This works nicely in conjunction with the compass.

Trick #3: curving your flight path. After the 2:40 bounce, I was veering significantly to the left. The answer was to tilt to the right while boosting. You can see I do this at a few different angles, sometimes mixing forward tilt and right tilt, sometimes (especially near the end) investing entirely in right tilt. You can see the effect it has as the lead indicator gradually creeps back towards center, as I curve my trajectory trying to get to a place where I can crash into the base instead of soaring past it.

Trick #4: I think the last round of SRV physics changes made them a lot more resilient to collision at any angle. A year ago I don't think I could have bounced off the base so aggressively, but now I seem to be able to hit it at basically any speed and survive. Exploit this to the fullest and brace for impact!

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    I was originally thinking UK time - let's compromise - 19:00 game time?
    The game starts when Alec says so. That's it official. A multiplayer mayhem run down the mountain starting at Wed 19:00 Galactic Mean Time (which is 8pm BST)

Morning folks, scoreboard later but while you wait you can play spot the SRV ...

Frozen in Carbonite!

Alec and the mountain!

P.S. lots of videos from Sushi, Codger and PrimeTime now copied to iPad for the morning commute.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 691011121316 ... LastLast