Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: Falling With Style : An SRV base-jumping festival (19-27 May 3304)

I got to the hill last night to get a bit of practice in for tonight's practice. It was night-time when I got there. I didn't think there was any point in leaping off into a dark abyss.

It might be a good idea to find out the moon's rotational cycle so the same thing doesnae happen to anyone else

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Fighter Club vs. The Mountain ... I like it! Welcome.
    I like the idea of aerial combat... in SRVs

WOW - don't know what you've done to the colours in those images @PrimeTimeCasual but I LOVE it!

So I completed my ascent of the mountain this morning and I can highly recommend it! It's a terrific climb which takes between 45mins and an hour (I recommend heading slightly left initially and then following the more gentle slope to the top). I was being fairly leisurely because the views were absolutely spectacular and I had to keep stopping!

I was joined (and guided) by Cmdr Tannik Seldon who was busy surveying the site. Unfortunately he had a run in with some bounty hunters which left him WANTED in system. Not only that but, because I was in a wing with him, they then decided to start firing on me as well which turned the climb into something of an adventure but left the bounty hunter with a WANTED status of their own which allowed Tannik to, ahem, "deal" with the problem. Thanks man, much appreciated!

Once at the top (yay!) the only sensible option was a tandem jump.

n.b. I cut the video fairly short because the ever growing distance between Tannik and myself became too embarassing to allow it to continue!

P.S. He did overshoot tho ... massively! (still beat me by MILES).

... after waking up from a long hangover, sent the purchase order for a couple dozens SRV's, some hangars, and a 4C First Class Passenger cabin to make place for traumatologist, physiotherapist and a nurse... were I left the DisConda last time?

IMPORTANT UPDATE TO RULES
    Runs should be submitted within 48hrs of completion! In other words, if you complete a run at 22:00 on Monday 21st May then you should submit the entry for that run no later than 22:00 on Wednesday 23rd May. The reason for this is to prevent people from simply sitting on their best runs all week without engaging with the forum thread and the other participants. Part of the ethos of the Buckyball Racing Club is one of active involvement with the group and friendly sharing of times, tales and tips. It's fun for everyone to see the new times being submitted throughout the duration of the event and to see the best racers competing for those coveted top spots on the leaderboard. I do realise that the SRV HUD doesn't show the date. I could change the rules to say that you have to dock in the garage at the end and have the station clock visible in the screenshot but I don't really want to so take this as an informal request to play fair OK? If anyone who hasn't posted all week submits a winning run on Sunday night then chins will be stroked!

"Crazy Buckyballers drop in unannounced"

http://laveradio.com/Galnet/180515Galnet.mp3
    (fast forward to 4:50 if you just want to hear the relevant bit)

Thanks as always to Pete Wotherspoon for his ever superb twice weekly Galnet News Digest.

IMPORTANT UPDATE TO RULES
    Runs should be submitted within 48hrs of completion! In other words, if you complete a run at 22:00 on Monday 21st May then you should submit the entry for that run no later than 22:00 on Wednesday 23rd May. The reason for this is to prevent people from simply sitting on their best runs all week without engaging with the forum thread and the other participants. Part of the ethos of the Buckyball Racing Club is one of active involvement with the group and friendly sharing of times, tales and tips. It's fun for everyone to see the new times being submitted throughout the duration of the event and to see the best racers competing for those coveted top spots on the leaderboard. I do realise that the SRV HUD doesn't show the date. I could change the rules to say that you have to dock in the garage at the end and have the station clock visible in the screenshot but I don't really want to so take this as an informal request to play fair OK? If anyone who hasn't posted all week submits a winning run on Sunday night then chins will be stroked!
    Um, what does this mean if you had an early run that you'd sort of like to keep?

Here's a nice overview of the course:

Waiting for the chance to turn in an official time:

Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    Um, what does this mean if you had an early run that you'd sort of like to keep?
    It means a) somebody did a competitive run BEFORE the race had even started and now needs to go and stand in the corner for 5 minutes and b) that they'll need to do at least one more run AFTER the race has started (and BEFORE the race has finished) and submit that instead.

Fancy watching me smash a dozen SRVs down a mountain?
    Want to see me do rolls, flips, corkscrews and random tumbling in SRVs?
    Like to hear me scream like a girl when doing 250 m/s in an SRV 5m above the ground going backwards wrong side up?

Training runs - Live at 1900 UTC!

https://gaming.youtube.com/channel/UCIz7c4eMaFw2R9jByApClGA/live

Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    It means you're in pole position.

It means a) somebody did a competitive run BEFORE the race had even started and now needs to go and stand in the corner for 5 minutes and b) that they'll need to do at least one more run AFTER the race has started (and BEFORE the race has finished) and submit that instead.
    In all seriousness - do people think I should insist on docking with the station for the end screenshot so we have the date visible? Currently there's nothing stopping someone from making runs right now and submitting them next week. With just the times I won't be able to tell.

I don't mind either way - I'll be submitting my runs at the end of session and I'm likely to be at/near the bottom of the leaderboard anyway.

I would like it more if you have to dock at the end though, it's more the traditional Buckyball way of doing things and it also gives the crazies an opportunity to try and fly straight in through the hangar door. I think someone tried doing this in a previous race (maybe my Festival of Racing), but I can't remember if they were successful.

I don't mind, but it also adds another couple of seconds, and the "loading screen" of docking the SRV to the ship may depend on your hardware and connection to the server?

Maybe consider something similar to the Speedbowl - the time of submission must be within X minutes of the ending screenshot. (e.g. 30 minutes, so you can do a couple of runs and then immediately submit the best of the bunch).

Videos can always be supplied later.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast