Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: Falling With Style : An SRV base-jumping festival (19-27 May 3304)

Have to say re: recent news here that I half suspected someone might try this!

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    SushiCW's achievement deserves more than this

o7
    Right on commander!

I second AkenBosch's call for a tourist beacon
    Another one!?!? No no, Sushi already has his "'ere was a frickin' nutter who took Buckyballing a step too far" tourist beacon, I think one is quite enough.

So, Sushi ... just a gentle reminder that those height and speed numbers won't count unless you can get back down and park in a garage (how are you going to do that by the way? It's bad enough trying to hit the station when going 200m/s ... how on earth are you going to decelerate at the right moment to hit it from 2000m/s?).

P.S. I've heard of overshooting the base by 20km ... but two five complete orbits, that's ridiculous!

Cheetah: There's 63 kilometres to Smith we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark out, and we're wearing sunglasses.
    You guys : Hit it!

I'm about out of time on this but thank you for the race, you guys have been awesome. Sushi should get the tourist beacon so that we all can commemorate this crazy thing!

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    So, Sushi ... just a gentle reminder that those height and speed numbers won't count unless you can get back down and park in a garage (how are you going to do that by the way? It's bad enough trying to hit the station when going 200m/s ... how on earth are you going to decelerate at the right moment to hit it from 2000m/s
    I'm expecting a bullseye!

That orbital SRV is crazy and awesome. o7 cmdr!

I'm obviously running out of time for this one, but hopefully will have time for one shot at it tonight before the end (same as usual then).

I'm betting Sushi does it... Or dies trying...
    It is truly the most insane stuff I have seen this week. Thank you all for having me. My weekend and race is over...
    I have come so close to beating my previous, but the best I have done will have to stand as the best I can do.
    This was me howling at the moon after just missing out... Or maybe I was watching Sushi pass overhead.

Best of luck with your bounces...
    o7

Originally Posted by AkenBosch View Post (Source)
    Could you please stop hijacking other people's race threads
    Yeah I'm a bit sheepish about that.

Originally Posted by AkenBosch View Post (Source)
    (actually there should be two different beacons on the top of the mountain, because the cheese chasing event is in a class of awesomeness of its own and should become a yearly gathering)
    The cheese chasing is, by far, the cooler event of the two. And as Alec said, one beacon is plenty!

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    So, Sushi ... just a gentle reminder that those height and speed numbers won't count unless you can get back down and park in a garage (how are you going to do that by the way? It's bad enough trying to hit the station when going 200m/s ... how on earth are you going to decelerate at the right moment to hit it from 2000m/s?).

P.S. I've heard of overshooting the base by 20km ... but two five complete orbits, that's ridiculous!
    I didn't start from on top of the mountain, and didn't take any screenshots (and Shadowplay was broken). So counting this as a race run was never in the cards. I was actually just trying to see if it would be theoretically possible to use this technique to fly all the way from one Wasat base to the other in a single leap (the answer is yes). And once I had that nice chunk of momentum I just decided to see how far I could go with it.

EDIT:

Originally Posted by subhouse07 View Post (Source)
    And you got another circumnavigation under your belt!

P.S.

Here's my last run probably. Made it just under the 5 minute mark and haven't been able to improve upon this, so unless I'm feeling real juiced about falling down this mountain again tomorrow, this is it for me!
    Woohoo! Welcome to the club, always knew it was only a matter of time. Beautiful run, the only way it could have gone better is if you'd managed to bounce a bit lower right into the garage.

Annnnd Raijiin makes his last qualifying time for the day. SRV La SRV was able to allow me to put down a blistering run of 4'minutes ans 45"seconds. I believe that puts me in a favorable position? Tok me a few times, had trouble finding the dang garages. LOL!

Originally Posted by Raijiin View Post (Source)
    Annnnd Raijiin makes his last qualifying time for the day. SRV La SRV was able to allow me to put down a blistering run of 4'minutes ans 45"seconds. I believe that puts me in a favorable position? Tok me a few times, had trouble finding the dang garages. LOL!
    Nice!

Fantastic and awesome that we've collectively managed four sub-5-minute times.

Good job everyone. It was fun.

Okedoke folks, well the May 3304 Buckyball SRV base jumping festival is now officially over!

I have new submissions from Raijiin, subhouse07, Bruski, Akenbosch and jumpingclear.

I'll leave it until around mid-day today UK time to assemble the final scoreboard and announce the ultimate winners so if anyone has completed a run since Saturday's scoreboard update and isn't in that list above then make sure to send me a pm with your details asap.

o7 commanders

Originally Posted by nookiemrsmith View Post (Source)
    Good job everyone. It was fun.
    I second this.

I would never have done this fliving lark if it wasn't for this event - it was great fun!

And so we come to the end of what I think we can all agree has been an extremely successful first Buckyball base-jumping festival.

The final scores are as follows:

One last time working up from the bottom then ...

First we have our final brand new entry of the race as Cmdr Phelbore hesitantly submits a closing day time of 28 minutes exactly which puts the "Crash and Burn" into 22nd place. No shame whatsoever there sir! I think most people would agree that this has been a pretty tough course so bravo for finishing and welcome to the Buckyball Racing Club!

Next we have an improved time for jumpingclear in the Bling Bang Boom who finishes just 3 seconds ahead of Niuulh Wyrm in 14th place with a time of 14m 8s. Nice going!

In the top half of the scoreboard Cmdr Bruski submitted two more runs, finally breaking through the 7 minute barrier in his new SRV "The Self Smashination Society" and completing the course in 6m 56s to take 9th place.

That would have left Bruski finishing ahead of fellow long-time Buckyballer Aken B. except that Aken also submitted a final improvement on his time with a superb 6m 19s run which left him just ahead of PrimeTimeCasual in 7th place.

And then we come to the top 3. We had a superlative final run from Cmdr Timmy Brabston which, with a 5-barrier breaking time of 4m 56s puts him exactly level in 3rd place with Cmdr Tannik Seldon - and what a fantastic pair of competitors they've been too so I'm really delighted they both get to stay on the podium. Timmy also takes 4th place in the "Falling Fast" challenge with a maximum speed of 412 m/s.

No more improvements for Cmdr Nookie Mr.Smith but, with a blinding last minute entry from the other lead Candy Crew SRV driver (who's main problem was getting to the garages), the "Falling With Style" gold medal goes to Cmdr Darth Raijiin with an incredible final time of 4 minutes and 45 seconds!

So, the medals go to:

Falling with Style (main challenge)
    Gold: Cmdr Raijiin
    Silver: Cmdr Nookie Mr.Smith
    Bronze: Cmdr Tannik Seldon & Cmdr Brabston, Timmy

Falling Fast (speed challenge)
    Gold: Cmdr Bruski (478m/s or 1,720 km/h)
    Silver: Cmdr Stern Winter (419 m/s or 1,508 km/h)
    Bronze: Cmdr Cookiehole (418 m/s or 1,504 km/h)

Falling Upwards (height challenge)
    Gold: Tannik Seldon (39.7km)
    Silver: Bruski (18.5km)
    Bronze: Brabston, Timmy (6.79km)

Congratulations to the winners for once again pushing the boundaries of what we thought was possible in the SRV, welcome to all the newcomers (hope you'll come along to future Buckyball Races - keep an eye on http://www.buckyballracing.org.uk/ for details) and massive thanks to EVERYONE for making this race an absolute damn privilege and pleasure to organise.

P.S. if you enjoyed the experience of hurling your SRV off the top of a mountain and are looking for other places to go and try out your new found skills then I'm compiling a list over here which you might find useful: A-guide-to-good-base-jumping-locations

See you on the way down commanders!

Wow! 4:45. Amazing well-deserved win Raijiin.

Congratulations to you, to the other 3 podium winners, to Alec for organising this wonderful event, and to everyone who took part.

o7

Thanks Alec! I've come to expect nothing less than stellar events from you every time but this is probably my favorite yet. Thank you so much for making it happen!

This has been an excellent event Alec! And it's awesome to see so many really great times on the board. Falling down this mountain is no easy feat and it's amazing that people were able to continue to improve times throughout the week. Great racing everybody and seeya at the next one! I'm gonna be off somewhere furiously boosting toward the horizon trying to reach the SRV orbital leisure cruise threshold achieved by Sushi.

Well done everyone. Thanks Alec, really enjoyed this event and especially the cheese roll races.